Buying a new motorhome

Guest John Pollock

Guest John Pollock
We intend to buy a new campervan in a couple of weeks when we arrive in the UK. I understand that, at this time of the year, dealers are keen to sell rather than hold stock until next season and are therefore inclined to offer larger discounts. Anyone know what I might expect off a vehicle in the 30 - 40000 pound range? and where? Also I'd like to hear suggestions as to what to buy - we need 4 berths, at least 4 belts,prefer a rear lounge and max wt 3500kg.

Guest david
Hi John, I dont know if you will get much discount as the Market is very bouyant at present. From what I understand having just bought a new one. They will try and get rid of secondhand stock first as thats money tied up. It appears that new vehicles dont cost them anything until they sell them. Also if you are going to buy on hire purchase, you could do a deal. We wanted an engine upgrade, it would have taken 4 months delivery, this was no good to us as we have our Summer trip booked, slao the depreciation on our old vehicle would have increased as well. As to where it depends on wherer you are going to be based in the UK. You need to think of where you buy in relation being able to get back to the dealer if you need problems sorted etc. Remember this is good old rip off England. Buy a copy of MMM its about the best mag for Motorhoming. Keep us all informed as to what happens. Good luck. David

Guest John Pollock
Thanks David Even from 12000 miles I've got offers of a couple of thousand off, but unfortunately we don't really know what we want yet. I hope that when we look round we will find 2 or 3 models that would suit - then we can ring round to get the best deal. It doesn't matter a lot where we buy - we are bringing the van back to NZ where gaurantees won't apply anyway. Makes it important to choose a reliable vehicle. I understand we may be best to buy German from that point of view. Has to be RHD so are forced to buy in UK, unfortunately. We have several copies of MMM - I agree - have learnt a lot from it. Best wishes John

Guest David
Hi John, If you are Flying into Heathrow the nearest Dealer is Marquis at Staines, there premises are right by what will be the new terminal 5. Surely if you are going to export back to NZ| you should get it Tax Free over here. David

Guest Derek Uzzell
John: A few weeks back I was talking to an Auto-Sleepers chap who told me they planned to export their new Orion brand to New Zealand. He said there is a legal requirement that motorhomes in NZ have waste-water tanks at least as large in capacity as their fresh-water tanks. This regulation meant that NZ Orions were being redesigned to have twin waste-tanks (and bigger gas-lockers to accommodate NZ bottles). Something to consider perhaps.

Guest John Pollock
Thanks Derek - I'll take note. Any ideas about what I should buy and/or my insurance problem?

Guest Clive
Its interesting to look at the main hire fleets in NZ and Oz on the Internet. They seem to favour rear wheel drive Toyota or Mercedes based vehicles in the coach built or larger Panel van conversion ranges. Why buy in UK or even Europe? If you haven,t had a motorhome before I suggest you rent one for a a couple of weeks holiday first. You will either be smitten or will never do it again. Take it easy but take it Good luck

Guest John Pollock
We're smitten. UK + European vans are better built than ours. While our dollar is relatively strong it is worth while importing rather than buying the inferior local product for more. regards John

Guest Derek Uzzell
John: I've looked back through your earlier postings/responses: 1. Motorhome insurance: "Safeguard" may be your best (or only) chance. I spoke to a motorhome dealer who I knew had sold a rather elderly 2ndhand motorhome to an Australian couple. The arrangement was that they would use the vehicle for an 8 months touring holiday after which the dealer would re-purchase it at an agreed price (assuming it was still in good order of course). I was told that obtaining insurance had been a major problem and the dealer had found Safeguard to be the only company prepared to offer it. As Mel E mentioned about vehicle-registration, I believe you'll find that getting motorhome insurance will also need you to provide a UK address (friend, relative?) 2. David's Belgian dealer: This is probably Urbano (www.urbano.be - advert in MMM). 3. Buying new RHD motorhomes in Continental Europe: There is the faint possibility that a Continental dealer may be prepared (and able) to order a RHD motorhome specially for a UK customer, but I don't know of anybody who has obtained a vehicle in this manner. I'm aware of someone who attempted it, but eventually decided to go for a LHD version when the projected delivery-date of the RHD vehicle began to accelerate into the far distant future. Compared to LHD models, Continental motorhome manufacturers build few RHD vehicles. These are always built to order and normally in a single annual batch. As the 2005 model-year is essentially over, even if you could find a Continental dealer to take your order I don't think you would obtain delivery before mid-2006. (I'd be interested in where David's information comes from - if it were easy to purchase cheap RHD motorhomes in Belgium or Germany then everybody would be doing it.) 4. Selecting the right motorhome: In your case I would think the choice of base-vehicle should be of particular importance and it seems sensible that it match what's readily available in New Zealand. Most EC motorhomes are built on Fiat/Peugeot chassis, but I've no idea whether Fiat/Peugeot has a significant presence in NZ. Your budget and belts/berths/layout/3500kg requirements suggests a medium-priced, sizeable overcab design, in which case you'll need to keep an eye on the available payload. The rear lounge layout is more popular with UK buyers than Continental ones so tends to be more available on UK-built motorhomes. As you'll be buying off a dealer's forecourt I think you should expect 8%-10% discount off the windscreen-sticker price. Buoyant or not, there are still large numbers of unsold new motorhomes on the UK market. Best of luck.

Guest John Pollock
Derek, thankyou very much. Very helpful. I'll certainly try 'Safegaurd'. I've accepted that I won't buy RHD on the continent - have fired off several Emails with no joy. As you say - if it was possible everyone would be doing it. Fiat + Mercedes are pretty common over here, Peugeot less so. What I'd really like is the Karmann on the Volkswagen T5 - at least I think I would, having never seen it in the flesh - but it is a little too expensive. Plenty of VWs over here. I think, and hope, you are right about the discount. It tallys with what I've been told by someone who has bought 2 new vans in 3 years - each in July. Best wishes, John P.

Archived