New Fiat/Peugeot Chassis Cabs

I am currently using a 2.2 TD Peugeot engined 'Van, giving about 100bhp. I am considering changing to one using the new Fiat/Peugeot chassis/cab. My current 'Van and the replacement would weigh about 3400Kg. The engine fitted as standard to the model I'm thinking of is the 2.0 TD giving 100bhp, but there is the option to upgrade to 130bhp motor,(extra pennies). Included in the 130bhp deal is the 6 speed box, cruise control etc. Does anyone have opinions one whether the upgrade is worth it, or necessary? Has anyone experience of driving both 100bhp engines to enable them to make a comparison of their performance?

My new Compass Avanteguarde 115 is based on the 2.2Hdi and runs like a dream top end weight 3000kg. On last French trip 2370 miles of non motorway driving Calais/Geneva/Chamonix/Nice/Monte-Carlo/St Tropez/Marseille/Lyon/Dijon/ Calais we averaged 35mpg if you know the tour you will know there is a lot of uphill driving which it managed with ease so I think it speaks for itself, but I feel if it were a heavier van then possibly the bigger engine with 6 speed gbox may be an advantage usually works on power to weight ratio.

armstrongpiper - 2007-07-07 10:33 AM

I am currently using a 2.2 TD Peugeot engined 'Van, giving about 100bhp. I am considering changing to one using the new Fiat/Peugeot chassis/cab. My current 'Van and the replacement would weigh about 3400Kg. The engine fitted as standard to the model I'm thinking of is the 2.0 TD giving 100bhp, but there is the option to upgrade to 130bhp motor,(extra pennies). Included in the 130bhp deal is the 6 speed box, cruise control etc. Does anyone have opinions one whether the upgrade is worth it, or necessary? Has anyone experience of driving both 100bhp engines to enable them to make a comparison of their performance?

Personaly I would go for the largest engine available especialy with that six speed box and the cruise control is another bonus.

My Fiat has 147 BHP and cruises all day at 90kpm. It saves all that changing down you get with the smaller engine.

Don

Guest JudgeMental

although mine is a Ford, it is the 2.2 130bhp and is a superb performer. it has cruise control as standard. which I consider indispensible on a camper - I use it all the time.

Had use of a Benimar on the 2.8 Fiat chassis for a month in Spain. similar size van and new Ford is much nicer and quiter...

I think all would be surprised with all these new smaller engines regardless of make - you really need to try before recommending bigger is bettter.

JudgeMental - 2007-07-07 11:34 AM

although mine is a Ford, it is the 2.2 130bhp and is a superb performer. it has cruise control as standard. which I consider indispensible on a camper - I use it all the time.

Had use of a Benimar on the 2.8 Fiat chassis for a month in Spain. similar size van and new Ford is much nicer and quiter...

I think all would be surprised with all these new smaller engines regardless of make - you really need to try before recommending bigger is bettter.

judge iv,e driven the new ford and was very impressed, but only in my friends transit,some reviewers have suggested that the suspension could be a bit soft, i would be interested in a real world user views as your van is on my short list, you posted me a pic thanks again

Guest JudgeMental

Alan, I bought it based on reviews on German magazine websites. have not found anywhere mentioning "soft" suspension? and it is undoubtably the best cab I have driven. go to Bro***ill's and get a test drive there - with 4 up and fully loaded it does not really drive any differently.

on an 7-8 hour drive back from Brittany we arrived at le Touquet fresh as when I started - from a man who has been known to drive from Spain in one go and hardly been able to walk....

I am sure you would be happy with any model of new van. Err.. sorry for hijacking Fiat thread :-D

JudgeMental - 2007-07-07 7:50 PM

Alan, I bought it based on reviews on German magazine websites. have not found anywhere mentioning "soft" suspension? and it is undoubtably the best cab I have driven. go to Bro***ill's and get a test drive there - with 4 up and fully loaded it does not really drive any differently.

on an 7-8 hour drive back from Brittany we arrived at le Touquet fresh as when I started - from a man who has been known to drive from Spain in one go and hardly been able to walk....

I am sure you would be happy with any model of new van. Err.. sorry for hijacking Fiat thread :-D

thanks my remark was based on this months what m/home review of a roller team 200, quote: the ford however has more compliant suspension which can in some tall overcab derivatives result in unpleasantly space hopper handling, as you suggest i will take a test drive, after all one mans soft no lets not go there, thanks again :-(

bigal55 - 2007-07-07 8:55 PM

JudgeMental - 2007-07-07 7:50 PM

thanks my remark was based on this months what m/home review of a roller team 200, quote: the ford however has more compliant suspension which can in some tall overcab derivatives result in unpleasantly space hopper handling, as you suggest i will take a test drive, after all one mans soft no lets not go there, thanks again :-(
wrong emoticon :-)

Guest JudgeMental
armstrongpiper - 2007-07-08 11:44 AM

Thanks for your views on Fords, guys, but could you start your own thread on this one?

Err... already apologised?

And all threads tend to drift a little...

Initial point was that there is not much between these new engines and engine size is not everything - surely of interest to whichever van you choose.

Drifting on

I had to drive our

MH back from Carcasonne to Basingstoke in a hurry while towing the twin MC trailer. 887 miles. Started 0900 am. Arrive 0300 the following morning.

Don,t forget the 1.5 hours on the ferry Dover Calais and a couple of 10 minute naps.

But the drive was perfect as was the cruise control. 312 Merc based 10 year old Scout.

armstrongpiper - 2007-07-08 11:44 AM

Thanks for your views on Fords, guys, but could you start your own thread on this one?

sorry, i myself am kicking tyres, the peugeot seems to have a slightly rougher note than the new fiat/ford engines i have tried but this could depend on the the converters soundproofing etc, there reliability record is excellent in cars,the best thing to do is as eddie suggested to me take a test drive, one mans meat etc

Archived