Small electric problem

Trucker GT

Can anybody advise me please on an annoying fault which is when I light a gas ring the low water alarm goes off on a swift kontiki and it a thetford  ck13000 dual fuel cooker. Also is there a fuse for the cooker.

Many thanks

34 minutes ago, Trucker GT said:

... the low water alarm goes off on a swift kontiki...

It might be helpful to know the year in which your Kon-Tiki was built and which Kon-Tiki model it is.

I'm not familiar with Thetford's Aspire range of cookers, but I assume its gas-burners are lit using 12V power (rather than via a piezo press-button igniter). If that's so, it sounds like electrical interference occurs when the burner is lit and this is affecting the main habitation 12V system. 

Like Derek, I am thinking interference from the spark ignitor.

Does the alarm sound when the gas is lit other than by the integrated ignitor, i.e. with a match or other device?  If the answer is no, then it would tend to confirm Derek's suggestion.

A possible cure would be to slip a small ferrite core over the ignitor supply cable.  These are the plastic encased bumps that are somtimes seen on the supply and USB cables for electronic equipment.  I have one with a bore of 5.5mm, recently removed from a length of scrap cable.

As regards a fuse for the cooker, there will be one, but it may shared with other items.  A careful scrutiny of appropriate the Swift handbook should reveal this.

Alan

Archived