Towball 2 bike carrier

jeanniefin

Wanting a 2 bike carrier for Ford Autosleeper Duetto with a towball. Seen a Thule 9402 but can't find anyone with it in stock. Any suggestions for a similar one - ie easy to fitand store and tipping forward with bikes on it to ,hopefully, clear the rear doors?

I think you may mean tip back to clear the doors: though whether it will, or not, seems a bit chancy. 

With bikes on the rack I doubt you'd be able to open the doors by any useful amount.  I think you may be better off with a door mounted offset bike carrier, such as a Fiamma Carry Bike or an Omnibike.

Hi Jeanniefin- The Thule bike racks which attach to the tow ball do tip away from the vehicle, but that is to allow access to a car boot, they will not allow rear doors of a van to open. You need a bike rack that pivots and swings sideways to form door clearance, you need to shop around to find a supplier, I do believe they are available. chas

Hi,

Getting Duetto next week I hope!!! The factory have fitted a bike rack (Fiamma 200 D I think) onto one side of rear doors. Retails around £120 but does involve bars of some sort on inside of door, that is why I am getting it factory done though I am sure it is not a big job. Will post further details, if you want me to, once van turns up. Looking forward to this Duetto a lot (almost 5 months).

Col

Many thanks. Towball model unavailable until late August we are told by several stockists so decided on the rear door mounted one instead. Being able to open the rear doors without removing a rack may well be useful. Thanks to all who replied. I am now hooked on this site and amazed at the help available!

Archived