Its a wonderful life!

davenewellhome

Tonight we enjoyed a truly wonderful experience! Its Summer, we had a barbeque, just the two of us. We had lamb chops and pork spare ribs in Catering Manager's own recipe sauce. Accompanied by lettuce from the garden (Webbs Wonderful and Lollo Rosso), spring onions from the garden, beet root leaves, from the garden, and raw peas from the garden (try them with a salad, just fantastic!) new potatoes, cherry tomatoes and 3/4 boiled eggs (hard boiled with a slightly soft centre) roasted beet root and goat's cheese. A drink apiece and sitting in the sun in the back garden in just my shorts (damn I had to go and spoil it) with Eva Cassidy playing gently in the background.

Aaah, what a life.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-07-07 8:55 PM Tonight we enjoyed a truly wonderful experience! Its Summer, we had a barbeque, just the two of us. We had lamb chops and pork spare ribs in Catering Manager's own recipe sauce. Accompanied by lettuce from the garden (Webbs Wonderful and Lollo Rosso), spring onions from the garden, beet root leaves, from the garden, and raw peas from the garden (try them with a salad, just fantastic!) new potatoes, cherry tomatoes and 3/4 boiled eggs (hard boiled with a slightly soft centre) roasted beet root and goat's cheese. A drink apiece and sitting in the sun in the back garden in just my shorts (damn I had to go and spoil it) with Eva Cassidy playing gently in the background. Aaah, what a life. D.

Dave,

Sounds bloody wonderful, my only addition would be a couple of Bob Dylan CD's to round the evening off...

Dave

I envey you it sounds wonderful very nice to grow your own stuff as well can't be anything nicer than your own proudly home grown gear.

I would love to do that but have not got much of a garden and we are still doing it along with a million other little jobs from when the builders left.

Have never tasted the peas uncooked in a salad but I see Mr Oliver advertising it on his latest Sainsburys add!.

Eva cassidy beautiful I love somehwhere over the rainbow and I couldn't think of singing it any other way now! ;-)

We don't have much of a garden either Michele, its just 30 feet by ten feet with an eight by six greenhouse at the far end. I've built a raised bed on one side for the veg and we grow some more in tubs. Once the basic construction is done the rest is pretty easy and its very relaxing after a day at work to potter round the garden for a half hour, watering and weeding etc. I'll try and post a picture of our garden later but right now I'm settling in for the Grand Prix.

D.

Yes that's Dexy's basketball and a bit closer is his bit of rope. It does prove that size isn't everything and as long as you don't expect to become totally self sufficient from it you'll be ok. When you do get some home grown produce to eat it all just tastes so much better. Peas, three minutes from growing to eating!

We've also got lettuce, spring onions, radishes, dwarf bush beans, mini sweetcorn, leeks, carrots, parsnips and beetroot in the garden and tubs with strawberries, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and tabasco peppers in the greenhouse.

It was just so nice last night that I felt I had to tell someone and with all the doom and gloom recently on here regarding weather, politics, religion, war and everything I thought it might cheer a few people up.

empress - 2007-07-08 1:51 PM

Wish we had been invited, Dave. Like the CDs hanging out to dry!.

Empress

We'd love to invite you all but with such a small garden it might be a bit tight on space. Plus we've not got much parking space at home either. Also, as with most of these things it was a spur of the moment decision to have a barby at all.

D.

Absolutely Howie. I never used to have any interest in gardening but lat year bought a mini greenhouse from Aldi and grew some toms and a few peas and beetroot etc in tubs. The garden was a dump then and where the proper greenhouse is now was a small bed with two lilac trees. Over Winter we ripped out the lilacs, a shame I know but the greenhouse just had to go at that end (North) of the garden. Greenhouse was my Xmas pressie from Catering manager and our two daughters. I built the raised bed earlier this year and finally gravelled the main area, slabbed near the greenhouse and put in the water feature a couple of months ago.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly green fingered but now the grunt work is done I can get on and learn about the growing side of things.

D.

... and a wonderful thread too - well done Dave!

We got back from Canterbury last night. Had a brilliant weekend. We're not really "ralliers," but the Kent MCC gang made us very welcome and we were only a (real) 6-minute walk from a really good spot to see the Tour go by. We set up our chairs on the outside of a bend (protected by hay-bales, so we had to stand up when they arrived!), so we could see some way in both directions.

The "Peloton" itself went by in a few seconds, with a few stragglers later, but there was the most amazing "Caravane" of publicity/trade floats a couple of hours before.

Of course, you get a better view if you watch it on TV (although us poor terrestrials can only get daily highlights, and then only on digital), but the experience of just "being there," in the crowd for once, and the beautiful weather, make it well worth the trouble.

And the weather's STILL good here in our corner of Essex!

Tony

Glad to see you enjoyed your break Tony and we had nice weather for our two day visit to the North Wales coast as well, although the evenings and nights got a bit chilly. Not sure what this " Peloton " is all about though. A bike race perhaps.

Sounds as if you enjoy being out in the garden as well. Never to old to learn and i,m still trying to figure out why Dave as those cd,s hanging on the line.

Yes it is a wonderful life Dave, and good for me to get back on line, glad your toms are doing well but could you please send a little sun up to North Wales as its rained every day since we have returned home and we are looking forward to a Barbeque, Cheers Carol.

Archived