Taking dog abroad

Poppy

dogmad - 2007-07-11 8:47 PM

Ike - no need to have the wormer injected, tablets can be used instead, it's just that French vets prefer to inject it. We take our own wormer in case the vet doesn't stock them.

I thought they just used front line spot which works on ticks and worms? Im not keen on the thought of an injection as my dog only weighs 2.6kg. and we will be going through the tunnel Im not leaving my little dog on his own in he van I dont know why the ferry cant allocate an area that you can sit with your dog they can be better behaved than some children and I know Ive got plenty of them!! >:-(

Hi Michele,

I tried fixing a sheet of MDF to the inside of the roof of the cage using cable ties, but he opened his wound again. That might be because it hadn't properly healed from the first time. Healing took a long time, I was worried the vet may become interested. So we ladled lots of Savlon onto his head, and it was grown over before he needed his checkup. Yep, I will think about padding the roof.

He loves his cage, and can stand upright in it. Its only when he gets agitated by passing cars that he scrapes the roof. He also loves any car that offers him a ride. When we lost our German Shepherds, we decided to get something small. We got Blitz when he was three months and weighed under 5kg. He's part collie, and you know what they say about them. If you don't give them a job to do.....they go self-employed.

Yep mines was self employed when we stopped going to the stables so much ! How about a thin sheet of ply followed by some nice thick padding one of those dog bedding sheets seems like a good idea .

With the ply in place it would be smooth enough not to have your head catching on the gace ridges . Good Luck happy travels ;-)

Ours travels in a fabric cage- like a pop- up tent. It's made of strong nylon so no danger of his chewing through, or bumping his head.

Argos do a good one for about £40.

Except he seems to have learnt to undo the zip on the front door- which we now have to padlock with a luggage lock !!

maggyd - 2007-07-11 11:23 PM

dogmad - 2007-07-11 8:47 PM

Ike - no need to have the wormer injected, tablets can be used instead, it's just that French vets prefer to inject it. We take our own wormer in case the vet doesn't stock them.

I thought they just used front line spot which works on ticks and worms? Im not keen on the thought of an injection as my dog only weighs 2.6kg. (

Some mistake here. They don't inject, at least not in my experience.

They give Frontline (take your own if you want to, I do) and a worming tablet. You could, of course, do both of these yourself but then the vet stamps the passport and that's what you're really paying for.

Hi,

Last year, our vet told us the Frontline left over from a previous visit (and a previous dog) was stiill okay, and he was happy to use it. Only we had left in in UK.

This year we took the remainder of last years purchase. But the dog had grown from 15kg to 23 kg, and the doses were too small. So he used two sachets as one dose.

My dog is over 30Kg anyway so no problems there.

I bought Frontline for about £15 for 3 which is considerably cheaper than the vet. Just Google for Frontline and you'll see lots of places selling it.

The worming tablets are not so easy as they require a prescription and the saving isn't enough to make up for the hassle. Just grin and pay the French vet. But they seem happy to use your own Frontline.

To clarify the pet passport requirements - it's Frontline for fleas and ticks and Drontal or Milbemax worming tablets. However, I've heard that some French vets prefer to inject the wormer instead of giving the dog a tablet as it's easier than persuading the dog to swallow a tablet. The vet we had last time was great and gained our dogs' trust by giving them soft treats before hiding the tablet in one. They both then enthusiastically ate the treat and tablet. No problem!

As I've said on here previously, ensure the vet signs and stamps the passport as this could cause a problem at pet passport control and delay your journey while sorting things out. We've seen this happen.

J9withdogs - 2007-07-12 6:33 PM

Yes, but Irish Republic isn't.

Logically, with little border control I thought that there would be no need - but I'm a bit of a worry-guts *-)

You can take your dog into Southern Ireland no problem, we have taken our dog over twice we didnt go into the North.

J9withdogs - 2007-07-12 6:33 PM

Yes, but Irish Republic isn't.

What I meant was that it would be a bit difficult to stop them from crossing over even if they tried to.

Don't worry there are no restrictions.

dogmad - 2007-07-12 6:45 PM

As I've said on here previously, ensure the vet signs and stamps the passport as this could cause a problem at pet passport control and delay your journey while sorting things out. We've seen this happen.

Very good advice.

My local vet (now retired) has a place in Dordogne and takes his own dogs over.

I understand that when stamping his own dog's passport he made a mistake with the date and wasn't allowed to sail. Red face time (lol)

Frontline for ticks, injection or tablets for worms. The reason some vets are not keen on tables I think is because your dog could quite easily be sick afterwards, out of sight of the vet, and bring up the tablet, therefore no treatment. The injection of course is guaranteed.

Sea sickness - our dog Romy suffers but not in the normal way! She likes to chase stones and dip for them in the sea, no problem, ... well, yes, she unfortunately sometimes tries to drink the sea to get to the stone!!! Not always obvious that she's doing this but if she has we find out about 15 minutes after we've returned the van and have started to travel .. there's a sudden gushing sound and it gets a bit wet (fortunately nothing else!), only dog I know that give it's insides a thorough cleaning out!!! :$

Archived