chausson

spannerman

Guest JudgeMental
Chausson have a good reputation and the new chassis are powerful enough in 130bhp spec.We looked at a similar specifieded Challenger at Düsseldorf (nearly seduced by the electric bed above rear garage) but went for a hightop EuraMobil as there are 4 of us and we need a little more space and storage. the 3 manufacturers mentioned here are all now owned by the Trigano group?

My experience of Chausson products (I almost bought a Welcome 74 about 3 years ago) is that the detail finish can leave something to be desired. The interior 'look' can also be a mite startling to UK eyes. (We were discussing the W74's upholstery choices with a French motorhome salesman and I described one colourfully striped fabric as 'deck-chair chic'. "That's what most of our buyers opt for", he replied.)

I've seen plenty of Chausson/Challenger vehicles at French exhibitions and on dealer forecourts that had build-quality faults (split corners on rear bumpers seemed commonplace, as did badly fitting shower screens), so I suggest you inspect your new vehicle extremely closely at the hand-over stage. On the other hand Chausson designs tend to be very practical and, although I ended up buying a Hobby (itself not immune from poor quality-control) I still hanker after Welcome 74's greater practicality.

You should find a Welcome 85's performance very adequate. A French magazine quoted the top speed of an Allegro 93 (same chassis/motor combination as yours) as 155km/h, with acceleration from 60 to 100km/h in 4th in 14.2 secs and from 80 to 120km/h in 5th in 23.3 secs. (Comparative data for an Allegro 93 with 3.0 litre motor - as currently on loan to MMM - were given as 165km/h, 11.9 secs and 17.4 secs.)

Chausson and its sister brand Challenger were the foundation of the now huge Trigano Group. They are mid-market, lower cost ranges, though often with some interesting innovative touches. Both are built in the same factory and are virtually identical. The main reason for the two brandings is to enable them to be sold by twice as many dealers (half Chausson and half Challenger).

Build quality is about the same as other lower cost brands, such as CI, Roller Team (also part of Trigano), Joint, Miller, et al.

The top selling Camping Cars in France in 2006 with number of vehicles sold were:

1. Burstner 2216

2. Adria 2131

3. Challenger 2030

4. Chausson 1932

5. Trigano 1892

so the two sub-brands Chausson and Challenger well outsold the opposition with 3962 units. Conclusion: they must be doing something right!

Mel E

====

Archived