Wild Camps NE Scotland

doonhamer

I'm about to bid fairwell to Aberdeen so thought I'd pass on directions to a few gems here in NE Scotland. I hope that some of you enjoy these sites as much as I have.

Edzell:

1. From the A90 on the B966 drive through Edzell to the park on the left. Park well away from the road as noise from boy racers can be a nuisance.

2. Glen Esk. About 1mile through Edzell heading for Fettercairn turn left for Glen Esk and travel about 13 miles mostly single track with passing places to dead end car park. Nice overnight stop with great walks.

Banff:

On A98 travelling east enter Banff to T junction, turn left into Castle St. and follow the road for about 1mile along the coast to a dead end. The car park used mainly by dog walkers is quiet at night and has a lovely panorama of the Murray Firth.

Charlestown of Aberlour:

On A95 travelling west in the centre of the village turn right to sign posted car park passing the Mash Tun pub on the left. Lovely walks along both banks of the River Spey. The Mash Tun does a terrific steak, wash it down with a dram of Aberlour.

Braemar:

1. The public car park in the centre of the village is good for an overnight stop, there is a public toilet, may be too busy in summer and definately not for the weekend of the Highland gathering.

2. Take the road from Braemar signposted to Linn of Dee, in about 2 miles the second oxbow layby on the right offers a good overnight stop shielded from the road by tress and there is a cracking view.

3. The car park at Linn of Dee is good for an overnight stop with good walks and cycle routes, remember to feed the meter.

4. Linn of Quoich, I've saved the best till last. From Linn of Dee continue away from Braemar for about 6 miles on a single track road with passing places until you cross a timber bridge over Quoich Water, the grassy area just over the bridge is a great parking spot. It is used by walkers during the day but is very peaceful at night. The walk up the Quoich Water is well worth the effort.

It's a great pity but Aberdeenshire, Angus and Fife are generally very motorhome unfriendly with goal posts and no overnight signs everywhere.

Leave it as you find it.

doonhamer, used all the spots listed in the Braemar area you surely know your stuff. Was in the Braemar car park spot only last week with 2 other motorhomes, the police station just 100 yards away made me feel really secure. As you say the one at Linn of Quioch is a gem I was on it last year in cracking weaher and got a couple of munro's under my belt at the same time. Sheer bliss!!!!!!! So I will be trying your other spots cheers.

Archived