calais overnighting

pagey

hi i am booked on a 22.30 ferry in a couple of weeks (dover/calais) i normally park for the night at the booking office car park outside sea france/p&o in calais dock, there are usually a lot of m/homes/caravans parked. Is it still safe to park there or should i find somewhere else? i have parked there lots of times with no problems but i am hearing its now a bit dodgy. thanks... pagey

Guest JudgeMental

As you say, there have been reports of problems at port. It’s an assessment you can only make for yourself

What’s your vehicle security like? Maybe safer to drive out an hour or so and park elsewhere

I can’t imagine parking there it is hardly a peaceful spot. We drive down to le Touquet a much nicer area to wake up in...

We are the same preferring to drive on and get to Le Touqet or Abberville

You're vunrable where ever you go in France because they're thieve's where ever you go . Its just about weighing up the odds and not parking anywhere you feel vunrable . Same as anywhere really weigh up the odds

as for a peaceful night there is defniately less volume of truckers and cars

Use the Aire near the beach. Always 'safety in numbers' if you think there is a risk (less than minimal, I suggest) . As you will not dock until 01:30 ish C.E.T. you do not want to be driving too far when you can be fast asleep! Enjoy your holiday! Regards, Mike & Cherry.

Ken - as you will be landing about midnight I cannot think of anything much worse than gropping around in the dark trying to locate an aires. We always use the Calais port car park and only stopped during the Sangette problems. We again used it a few days ago without any problems or concerns.

Guest JudgeMental

Can't see how you can recommend a spot where there has been reports of robbery's by people cutting out quarter light rubber on campers to gain entry - without first ascertaining if the chap has any security - cab deadlocks for a start...

security - maybe

no security - hardly worth the risk

As for driving in the dark, again a personal decision. But IMO its far easier and quicker driving at night on quiet roads.

There are reports of thieving activities almost anywhere these days - including campsites. Have you seen the amount of security at the Calais port car park area recently? At this time of year there are scores of campers overnighting there quite happily.

With regard to asking what van security Ken has, the answer is it makes no difference, as once he stops his van security is exactly the same whether on Calais dock, an aires, or anywhere else.

Hi pagey,

Having just arrived back home and stopped on the Calais Dock area for the night outboand and inbound I would totally recommend it as being far better than travelling on to find a full up Aire or closed site, especially late at night/ early morning. So easy straight off the boat and in 5 to 10 minutes tucked up for the night in bed ready for a nice early start.

There was absolutely no problem whatsoever with security and I am quite amazed to read that anyone may have had problems there as there is just so much security, as there always has been, including Police Dog patrols all through the night. Regardless of your own security if you were to get broken into there I would suggest that you would be far more vulnerable on any other Aire (or campsite for that matter) that we have ever used. I do wonder how much these statements that are made are based on fact and not just opinion I have to say.

Now the noise is still the same so I would always use earplugs (that will help to silence the noise of the robbers breaking in as well so not to disturb your sleep) :-D , available from motorcycle accessory shops or on the ferry boat.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome back Basil!, hope you have had a good trip. :-D

There has been reports of break ins at port by cutting out quarter light rubbers to gain entry,

So based on this information, A rudimentary risk assessment would ask an individual some basic questions before recommending if safe to stay (ear plugs, brilliant security! :-D)

I have tried thats all.... *-)

We travel down to Dover from the North East so normally have to get a late ferry - we always do the crossing and park up at Calais port overnight before making an early start the next morning.

On the return journey we need to get an early ferry so again park overnight at Calais port.

We have done this for several years and have never had (or met anybody who has had) any problems.

Go for it !!!

Alan W

hi thats it its sorted park at calais dock in the morning walk up to the terminal have a shower back to van and off we go many thanks for your replies...pagey ...ps it also means that i can sample the duty free sooner just to make sure its ok

Hi,

Just to clarify one thing as there seems to be some confusion about where this originating incident took place.

I met Bertie on the aire at St Valery Sur Somme on Monday 2nd July and he related his story to me. To confirm what Don says, the break in to Berties' van occurred while he was overnighting on the Aire Des Deux caps near Calais on the Autoroute. He also said that he was only there because he had experienced difficulty negotiating the route from the ferry to the dock overnight parking area.

Nobby

Sorry if this is becoming boring, folks, but the Aire des Deux Caps is an autoroute service area, it is not intended for, recommended for, or suitable for, overnighting.

That Bertie was robbed there is inexcusable, and must have been distressing for him.  However, it serves to illustrate, yet again, the folly of using autoroute rest areas and service areas for overnighting.  In saying this, I intend no criticism of Bertie.

Because these autoroute "aires" are called "Aire de whatever" it does not mean they are "Aires de Services Camping-Car". 

The latter are generally as safe as campsites, though not quite as secure, are generally much quieter than autoroute service areas, and are purpose made for motorhomers.  However, even these are not all designated for overnight stops. 

You need a guide and a map to find these: either

a) the "Guide Officiel des Aires de Services Camping-Car" (6500 stopovers in France and other countries), for the current year - with its accompanying map, published annually by Camping Car magazine; or

b) the "Guide National des Aires de Services Camping-Cars" (1,900 stopovers in France), for the current year - with its accompanying map, published annually by Le Monde du Camping-Car magazine,

both the above obtainable from larger supermarkets, bookshops and many motorhome dealers in France; or

c) the currently more restricted - but better illustrated - English language guide "All the Aires France" (1,100 stopovers in France), incorporating local area location maps, published in the UK by Vicarious Books (see www.go-motorhoming.co.uk).

By using only these "aires" (and never those on autoroutes), by being more selective about how and when we use of French word "aire" - which of itself means only "area" - we shall eventully ensure these tales of robbery (and gas attacks!) are consigned to history.

Be safe!

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-13 11:59 AMBy using only these "aires" (and never those on autoroutes), by being more selective about how and when we use of French word "aire" - which of itself means only "area" - we shall eventully ensure these tales of robbery (and gas attacks!) are consigned to history.

Be safe!

Should we start a new thread about the sighting of flying pigs Brian? :-D Can I also add that the books give you the locations of aires de service. This implies that there is a service facility (water etc.)There are also many aires de stationment (ie: parking) where camping cars can park overnight with or without charge. Many of these are just as safe but because they don't have the bourne they will not be listed.In addition many service aires do not allow overnight parking, just temporary parking while you use the services.

This is not a boring subject. It is one that almost everybody returns to because of what it means to us.

I personally believe that location is every bit as important to this issue as what type of 'Aire' you are sleeping on. Having said that, I do avoid Autoroute 'Aires' of any sort like the plague, mainly because I avoid Autoroutes on my travelling route.

I have only suffered crime once in 27 years of French travelling and that was on an apparently very secure municipal site with fences, gates etc. The crucial factor in this case was that the site was in a populated area with higher than normal levels of what might loosely be termed social deprivation. All campers on the site received a visit from the local light fingered welcoming committee during the night. Just because it was a 'campsite' in no way prevented my becoming a victim any more than I would have been inviting it had I been on an 'Aire' instead. The thieves were already there, waiting.

As a committed 'Aire' user, I have monitored the subject of crime against motorhomers for many years. Almost without fail, these crimes take place close to densely populated areas that have high levels of 'social deprivation'. Lyons, Perpignan, Narbonne, Barcelona, Madrid are locations that I particularly avoid (there are others). The fact that most crimes are on Autoroute 'Aires' near these places is because the thieves live in the area, know that easy targets will be there and they have a nice easy escape route from the crime scene. Is there any evidence that thieves are anything other than lazy and will look for easy money?

I have 'risked' sleeping in Calais town area twice over the years, despite my better judgement as I know people who have suffered more general crime there. If motorhome night entry crime is starting to feature there, I will not be staying again as it does not matter what type of 'Aire' you are sleeping on, if the thieves are operating in that area, then they are likely to target you.

Those people who advise to travel on to Le Touquet or other similar locations are bang on the money in my view, whether they decide to use the Aires de Services or any of the the campings.

Nobby

Hi All,

Thanks Judge and Don for the welcome back, had a really great time thanks.

Having now read Berties report I see that Don and Nobby are correct and the incident occured away from the Calais Terminal at an Autoroute Aire. I thought it seemed odd to have trouble at the dock, there is just so much security all night long but of course the possibility remains wherever you are. I have to say though we felt quite secure there both times, as we have in the past

I believe that Brian is correct to say that maybe we should stipulate Aire de Service Camping Car (perhaps abreviated to Aire SCC or something) as We have spent most of our time away on these with no problems and it seems a shame to worry new users from using them, we relly enjoy them.

Bas

Hi

We used the aire next to the municipal site on Rue Poincare a few weeks ago with no problem it costs seven euros. Can take on water and get rid of waste and if you are lucky electricity. My wife who is very safety conscious said it felt safe. When we came back it seemed to be full. We have also used the car park at Auchan/Sainsburys with no problem and it is quiet.

Calais ,

We tried it once just recently last half term we feel it was ok personally he would sleep through WW2 me awake allnight with the noise of the boats .

Calais, We feel that we like to put as much distance between us and that place as possible I 'm sure the town centre and the people are fine but it always manages to cunjure up images of immigrants to us sangatte and the people trying to get on /into anything that moves waiting for the train we have seen them risking life & limb to get to the shuttle and one year our train was cancelled due to the fact that one guy had his head squashed off . We will suffer the extra milage just to get away from there and this is why we always try to drive on to somewhere we feel safer .

Thats not to say its like that for everyone hubby dont feel right either and no good if we can't sleep so its Le Touquet for us and a good nights sleep I know it can happen else where but we take our chances down the road. ;-)

It is, I suggest, all about 'risk management'. If there are, say 25 m'homes where you are wishing to park up then you have, assuming that the area is subject to villiany, a 1 in 25 chance of being a 'victim'. I would consider that a low risk and stay there. If there are only 3 m'homes then the risk increases considerably and I would not stay there! Any place can be a area frequented by the villiany but not all areas are, are they? Most of life is about assessing risks on a daily basis which we do without thinking , i.e. crossing the road, putting salt on our chips, leaving our cars insecure whilst popping over the road to the A.T.M. etc, etc. To me a little risk adds something to make life!

Regards, Mike.

Archived