Leisure Battery

eddie123

My leisure battery (brand new) was fully charged via 24 hr hook up on the drive a week last Saturday (voltmeter indicated 12.5v) and we went for a 150 mile tour on Sunday and at no time did we (knowingly) draw current from the leisure battery, the 12v supply being switched off at the control panel. Tonight preparing for along weekend (and our first overnighter) I noticed a flashing amber light on the control panel next to the battery condition voltmeter. I checked the voltage reading and it was 11.2 volts. Is this normal? Does the battery lose its charge naturally without any load over such a short period i.e. 9 days?

regards Ed

Hello Eddie,

Answer No,

Something is wrong. 12.5 volts initially suggests that the mains hookup charger is not working. Also the 150 mile saunter should have pumped a fair amount into the battery via the split charging. What components are common to both charging circuits perhaps?? Fuse? bad earth connection??

You need a sparky with a meter to have a look.

Are you aiming for Lincoln this week end?

I suspect you have already guessed the answer. No it is not normal. There is either something drawing power or a faulty battery.

The numbers also appear to be a bit odd. A fully charged battery at rest (no load and no charge) should be around 12.8v. At 12.5 it is about 3/4 full.

I suggest you use an ameter to check if you have a discharge and if not take the battery off and charge it for 48 hrs using a good charger leave it to rest for a furthur 48 hrs and check the voltage it should still be reading about 12.8v.

Archived