Anybody travelled to Cyprus from UK?

catinou

We have recently spent a wonderful week at a friend's villa in Cyprus and fallen for the country, big time, in spite of an unusual heatwave resulting in daily temperatures of over 40 degrees C, with a maximum of 50 degrees one day!

Whilst swimming in the crystal clear waters of a small bay, my hero husband uttered the "crazy" words - "we could bring the motorhome here"!

As we are restricted by time and can only squeeze a maximum of 3 weeks holiday at one time (not quite at retiring age), we reckon we could easily do the journey in 5 days (sharing driving), each way. Our family think we should be committed......

Has anyone else travelled this sort of distance in this time frame? or done this particular trip at all? Perhaps we will have to wait a few years until we can take longer - but will we be able to afford it then? Any input will be gratefully received!

Jenny B-) Have just read another part of the site where this is partly covered - sorry - new to this!!!

There was an article regarding 'motorhome to Cyprus' in a recent MMM, I think it was last months. It looked like a good trip but there was a stack of red-tape in getting the 'van over - and then back. The people involved did spend months there though so maybe a short trip is not so onerous.

Given the distance and potential hassle, I'd personally wait until I could dedicate more time to it. I suspect it would be a hugely stressful rush.

catinou - 2007-07-11 1:13 PM

We have recently spent a wonderful week at a friend's villa in Cyprus and fallen for the country, big time, in spite of an unusual heatwave resulting in daily temperatures of over 40 degrees C, with a maximum of 50 degrees one day!

Whilst swimming in the crystal clear waters of a small bay, my hero husband uttered the "crazy" words - "we could bring the motorhome here"!

As we are restricted by time and can only squeeze a maximum of 3 weeks holiday at one time (not quite at retiring age), we reckon we could easily do the journey in 5 days (sharing driving), each way. Our family think we should be committed......

Has anyone else travelled this sort of distance in this time frame? or done this particular trip at all? Perhaps we will have to wait a few years until we can take longer - but will we be able to afford it then? Any input will be gratefully received!

Jenny B-) Have just read another part of the site where this is partly covered - sorry - new to this!!!

Jenny,

It's impossible to drive to Cyprus in Five days. The only way with a motorhome is via Turkey.

There is an article on Cyprus by Lilias & Steve Hill in June's MMM page 93

I have e mailed you some info.

Regards

Don

I agree, Cyprus is very beautiful and they drive on the right side of the road like us (left side) which has to be a bonus!

Can't help with your question, sorry as we've only just started exploring France in our van never mind the rest of Europe - next year we might be a bit more adventurous and try Holland and Belgium too.

Good luck and if you don't reach Cyprus have fun trying.

• 2 weeks later...

We drove there in 1995 but went via Italy and it took over a week.

We went to Brindisi which took about 3 days and caught the ferry to Greece and that is where the delays started. The ferry arrived In Patras and we left Pirreahus ( or vice versa) to go to Cyprus , the ferry went via Rhodes. One ferry arrived Saturday lunchtime at about 1.30pm but the other one left the other port about 75 miles away 30 mins later , hence we had to wait until the next ferry on Monday evening and arrived in Limmasol on Wednesday lunchtime. We left our home in Epsom on Thursday morning so it took virtually a week. I am told that it is quicker to drive to Greece overland but you still have the problem with the ferry from Greece to Cyprus. We went for 3 months but I would say it is impossible to go for just 3 weeks unless you wish to drive there have a couple of days there and start off back home.

Archived