Garmin AGAIN

Poppy

o.k confession time. We didn't realize that we had to download the continental bit ourselves so went without while abroad.! Now am in process of downloading maps. Question. HOW do you know which maps you have downloaded and which not??????

Poppy - 2007-07-11 5:46 PM

o.k confession time. We didn't realize that we had to download the continental bit ourselves so went without while abroad.! Now am in process of downloading maps. Question. HOW do you know which maps you have downloaded and which not??????

Hi Poppy,

I can't help you but this site might be useful.

http://www.gpsinform.com/Download_index.asp?premium=0&menu=1&sous_menu=1

Don

I am not sure about Garmin but some Tomtom maps are individual counties ( which is a pain because you have to reload a map once you cross the frontier,) or a the whole of europe.

I have a handheld Garmin Etrex, which has software that allows you pick map squares and load them. The size of the square depends on the data held. Ie Paris is about 10 squares, Pyrennes, Spanish boarder / Montpellier / Toulouse is one square. How many squares depends upon the size of memmory ( or card) in the GPS unit. From memory the software I think is called Mapsource.

However all this info may be completely wrong for your Garmin unit (?)

Poppy

When you open mapsource it will be a white background, click on the map selector at the top , looks like a broken square

Then as you click on the map it will turn orange that is the area you have selected, select as many areas you like.

At the top left of the screen is a little triangle clik on that and it will show your map selection and at the bottom is the figure of how much memory you have used for your map source, so you will know how much you can put on.

If this is not enough info PM me and I will send you my phone no and I will go through it with you.

Guest JudgeMental

dont think they have mapsource as they have i think a Nuvi?

Poppy, if a nuvi is it UK only?

if that is the case you have bought wrong model and will have to purchase additional maps from garmin on SD card (they slot in the back)

you can not download European maps from internet - files to big. and they are not free either....

I have a disk to download on to computor. Done! Now I have to add maps to sat nav.I can do this BUT you can't download altogether. You have to click on a few maps, download and then start again. How do you know which bits you have done and which not as there are so many of them and when you remove the ones you have downloaded there is no record. I tried county by country but France for instance, is too large. There has to be a better way.

Guest JudgeMental

it would be a lot easier if you stated first, what model GPS you have and what version mapping and if on DVD or CD.

you can always get an extra memory card, one big enough to take European mapping (2 Gb should be enough) again what size card have you? - my earlier garmin 2610 uses compact flash and I have a 2Gb card which covers most of europe - I also have latest V9 maps

its hard to give advice without the facts...

Poppy - 2007-07-12 8:04 AM

I have a disk to download on to computor. Done! Now I have to add maps to sat nav.I can do this BUT you can't download altogether.

You have to click on a few maps, download and then start again. How do you know which bits you have done and which not as there are so many of them and when you remove the ones you have downloaded there is no record.

I tried county by country but France for instance, is too large. There has to be a better way.

The software on my Etrex Garmin will remove any previous map information, if new maps are added. Maps cannot be added to the existing card to build up a set. (The map tiles have to be identified by the software to setup the boundary of the whole area)

The software should allow you to save the map sections as a file, i.e map tiles of North France saved under one name, and the next set as something else.

If the card is too small you may have to buy a larger card or keep smaller cards with seperate sections of France.

I dont have a Nurvi, so not too sure of the method GArmin use. If its anything like my Garmin software it was designed in the dark ages of BBC Basic and not improved much. *-)

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental

"Maps cannot be added to the existing card to build up a set."

Exactly!

IMO Nuvi is a step backwards for motorhomers - as you loose the ability to plan routes on computer and download routes to GPS...

one reason why I have been reluctant to upgrade

GARMIN free phone - very patient and helpful! 0808 238 0000

Archived