Gas Bottles

John S

Thanks everone for your contributions. I must say that until I read Derek's comments I hadn't given much thought to the possible dangers of travelling with a gas container in the bathroom however well secured it may be. I was more concerned with the legality and safety of having a large cylinder parked alongside the van with perhaps a 1.5m hose piping the gas into the van.

It looks then as though I will have to consider le Cube as one possible option Perhaps someone who has one handy can do a bit of measuring so I can know if it will fit my gas bottle cupboard. The internal dimensions of this are: 53.5cm long, 41.5cm high and 26.7cm deep (front to rear). The front aperture is 37.2cm high by 51cm long.

I look forward to some further contribution.

John S

The given dimensions of the small French bottles are:

Twiny (Primagaz) 310mm dia x 310mm high, 13Kg gross with 5.1 Kg propane (also available with butane), stackable - two stacked being 580mm with both bottles able to be connected simultaneously:

Le Cube (Butagaz) 282mm sq x 355mm high, 14Kg gross with 7Kg propane (also available with butane), and:

Viseo (Butagaz) 306mm sq x 500mm high, 16.6Kg gross, with 10Kg butane only. 

The connection, and the regulator if cylinder mounted, will be contained within the above stated heights of all the cylinders.

On this basis, I don't think any of the above will fit.  That is a very small gas locker and you may be best advised to stick to the Camping Gaz cylinders you have already bought and - use it economically!

Thanks Brian for the dimensions. I will have to follow the bulk tank route I think or, as you suggest, be very economical in my use of Camping Gas. To be quite frank (I'm John really!) on a recent 3 week holiday to France (sadly I am now on my own) I used very little gas. Since I invested in a Remoska and always use sites with electricity it's amazing what you can cook with just the one appliance. A highly recommended piece of kit.

Best wishes & thanks everyone for your, as always, helpful comments.

John S

Archived