Merc Sprinter headlight benders

Malcolm Moore

Guest Malcolm Moore
My poor old aged brain seems to remember something in MMM a little while ago about Mercedes supplying headlight benders for Sprinters free of charge. I've searched my back numbers but can't find it anywhere and of course my agent says "no chance". Can anyone give me chapter and verse on this please - I'd love to be able to tell my agent he's got it wrong!

Guest Derek Uzzell
Your Mercedes agent is right of course - in this life there's no such thing as a free bender. But you aren't 100% wrong and your memory ain't so shaky either. For chapter and verse and the answer to this apparent conundrum see MMM September 2004, page 234 (Mercedes, "Headlamps"), also MMM April 2004, page 228 (Mercedes, "Beam benders"). I don't think any vehicle manufacturer offers in its parts-list either headlight beam-benders (ie. transparent stick-on lenses that deflect the dipped-beam pattern) or adhesive 'masks' that block out the raised portion of the pattern. However both are normally available commercially for very little cash. Probably the best solution is to obtain headlight protective covers on which masks (or benders) can be stuck. Not sure if these covers are available for Sprinters though.

Guest Malcolm Moore
Thanks very much Derek - glad my memory isn't totally shot, but I had forgotten that the article was talking about masking templates and not actual benders. Anyway I'll see if Mercedes are still supplying them. I did manage to get some plastic stick on masks from Halfords but I'm not sure whether they would have any adverse effects on the plastic lenses.

Guest Malcolm Moore
Mercedes faxed me the headlight templates in quick time but now I'm not sure what to use for masking in case the plastic lens gets damaged. Might say the Mercedes recommended positions are nothing like those in the Halfords pack!

Archived