Overnight Parking at Dover Docks

Big Momma

In a couple of weeks time we are heading across to Europe for our annual 3 week jaunt wending our way down to St. Tropez via Ghent, Black Forest, Lake Geneva. On the way back we are stopping in the Alps, Vosgues and Paris.

Our ferry is not until Thursday morning from Dover but we plan to leave home on Wednesday night and park up on the Docks. I have heard that you can do that. Is their a designated overnight parking area ?

Many thanks

Big Momma

Big Momma - 2007-07-14 9:48 PM

In a couple of weeks time we are heading across to Europe for our annual 3 week jaunt wending our way down to St. Tropez via Ghent, Black Forest, Lake Geneva. On the way back we are stopping in the Alps, Vosgues and Paris.

Our ferry is not until Thursday morning from Dover but we plan to leave home on Wednesday night and park up on the Docks. I have heard that you can do that. Is their a designated overnight parking area ?

Many thanks

Big Momma

Hi Eric,

Mel B posted this last month.

We've used Dover a lot, we use Marine Parade, have a look at the below thread and scroll down and you'll find some info on it from me.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4777&posts=22

Directions from the port - when you exit the port on to the large roundabout go straight across on to the main road into Dover itself (dual carriageway, you'll go through a set of junction traffic lights then go straight on again at the next roundabout. You'll pass a road on your left with a width restriction, now continue along and take the next left turning into Wellesley Road and at the end is Marine Parade. Turn RIGHT and park along that bit along with the other vans that'll no doubt be there. Last time we were there in May the council had put up signs to show that motorhomes and caravans could park along that part overnight so you shouldn't have any problems.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=51.1237,1.31608|17|4&loc=GB:51.1237:1.31608:17|Wellesley%20Road,%20dover|Wellesley%20Road,%20DOVER,%20CT16

Regards

Mel

When we were at Dover 3 weeks ago, we got there in good time and went to see if we could get a late evening ferry instead of the one in the morning, yes, of course, give us another £60! No ta mate, return fare was only £61!!!! Then told "You can't park on the docks", no problem, went round to Marine Parade.

We are going on a 5.30am ferry from Dover in September and had already decided to overnight as near Dover as possible, so this thread is very welcome....

After reading the various replies I decided to call Dover District Council to verify we could park overnight IN Dover, which would be ideal - our van is 25 ft. long plus small car on a 12 ft trailer (hence the early start - price!!). They were very helpful and confirmed there are caravan and motorhome places on Marine Parade where you can park over night BUT you cannot sleep over night in the vehicle.

They gave me a telephone number for the Dover Harbour Board, who confirmed their Union Street car park, in the Western Docks, has facilities for overnight stays by caravanners, motorhomers and "other high sided vehicles". They couldn't tell me what price it would be as it depends when you arrive etc. *-)

Archived