Clothes drying

Ralph

michele - 2007-07-17 5:24 PM

better than saving emfor his adoring mother ...I think I will get my son to do the same :D

Too true, Michele - he still brings mountains of washing back tho if he's away for a couple of months. He uses those bags that you can squash the air out of - helps reduce the pong, too (lol)

How about using some of those large 'fake' chamois cloths that they sell at motorhome shows, they're always there, you usually get 2 lots of 3 large orange ones for a tenner. They are great for using to dry wet clothes (both from being drenched by the rain or washing!), just lay the item on the orange cloth, roll it up and give it a good wring, you don't have to go mad ... just pretend you're ringing someone's neck if that helps! They take out the item and hang up, you'll find that the cloths dry quite quickly as do the clothes.

For a hanging rail you can use a cut down washing line and attach 'hook' ends on to it, I used the ends of an old bungey cord that had lost its ... er, bunge? I open to lockers opposite each other in the cab and hang the hooks over the cupboard stays and hang the washing on the line or peg it on. If you haven't got suitable cuboard stays, you could always attach some hooks inside the cupboard to suitable fixing points and hook onto them when needed.

Another idea is to put up expanding curtain poles in the shower compartment or even up close to the ceiling in the main van and then just hang your washing over them when needed. Also, those twirly 'smalls' hangers, the type that are usually circular with lots of little pegs attached are great for undies, socks, tights etc.

The best thing to do in the first place is to take lightweight clothing that when it's washed doesn't hold moisture and dries quickly, that doesn't mean that it's not warm, just that it hasn't got the bulk to hold the water like jumpers, jeans etc. Good lighweight windproof clothing is easier to pack as well, doesn't take up as much space and is easier to look after that your conventional types of clothing ... it means you've got more space for wine and treats etc!

Thanks Ralf, followed the link seems what I want, will sort one out, It would be a bit much to take 3 months clothes away, although Ed says I make a good try, and on our last trip we stayed at 32 different sites so to rinse through and wring them out is the awnser for me, doing a big wash every now and then, thanks Carol.

Quite agree Carol. SWMBO takes enough clothes to last for ages anyway but every time we get on a "proper" site she's washing again. If she took any more I'd have to leave out the essentials such as booze :-D

Mind you I suppose I've missed a trick somewhere. After all one thing that people complain about with aires is vans parking too close. If I kept the same clothes on for the whole trip they wouldn't even park on the same aire!

Archived