Autocruise V Burstner solano T615

ktesis

We are in the process of coming to a decision about which van!

There are two main issues.

The first being fixed bed versus make it up nightly! The fixed bed gives us the storage for all sorts of kit whereas the Starfire is limited! Where for instance to you store picnic chairs and tables when on the move or away from the van? We have no special need for extra storage over and above normal usage.

The second is the bed question, and is the old one of night excursions to the toilet! We are both 'big' people and the task of getting up will certainly disturb the other half particularly as the width of them at the widest point is less than the 'king size' used at home!

How do others cope?

If it's the only bed, you put up with it or buy a nappy.

If you also have a settee, you use that as a bed for one of you.

If you need a 'cuddle' (a euphemism for whatever you want it to mean), you agree it over dinner. Recent research shows women are much more responsive when they have time to anticipate.

So you get the best of both worlds - a good night's sleep and . . . .

Mel E

====

Hi Derek,

We had the Autocruise Starfire with the swivel cab seats, it is possible to turn the can seats around to make two single beds, but I found the small difference in sofa to cab seat height uncomfortable.

We changed to the Autocruise Stargazer 2' longer than the Starfire, but the same internal layout and with full length single beds or massive double bed, a nice big gangway between the made up single berths, allowing easy access to all the MH facilities without disturbing your spouse.

Making up the beds takes about 10 seconds (yes really) each bed, we use two rolled up 4.5 tog duvets and pillows, these are stored in the overcab locker with the pillows. The sofa's just unclip and pull out on rails, the backrest drops down between wall and bed into the recess caused by pulling the sofa out 4" and the duvets are just rolled out.

Having a centre lounge with the beds that pack away gives a great deal of day room, and of course you can each lounge on a full length sofa during the day looking through the great big lounge side windows, rather than sit up and beg, on a middle diner type layaout that, normally goes with a fixed bed arrangement. Good luck on your quest.

Regards Terry

I am in the fortunate position of owning an Autocruise motorhome with parallel settees that make into a bed and a caravan with a longitudinal fixed bed alongside the toilet/bathroom. Neither unit provides a bed as roomy as the kingsize at home. The Autocruise bed is long (6' 10") so the width is less of an issue even though I'm well over 6' tall and 15 stones. The fixed bed is no more than 2" wider but shorter (6' 6") and I have to sleep on the diagonal.

The more relevant sleeping consideration is access to the toilet during the night. This is a necessity for me, not for medical reasons but because of beer, wine and spirits consumption! Throughout my married life I've always slept on the same side of the bed. The fixed bed layout had to have the bed located so I could sleep on 'my' side and get out without disturbing Avril. The Autocruise layout does not cause a problem because one's head can be either side.

Storage of chairs was a problem in the Autocruise. A small picnic table easily fitted in an externally accessed under seat locker. The large Lafuma recliners had to travel inside on the floor between the settees. Eventually we stopped taking them and bought smaller Lafumas which travel on the settees and overnight in the cab between the cab seats and the fascia. Experience of storing 'stuff' under the fixed bed in the caravan shows that it also has disadvantages. Whatever you want is under something else and farthest away. There is also limited space in the corridor between the bed and the vanity sink to bend down and root around amongst the paraphernalia stored under the bed.

Our experience is that if you're going to live in the motorhome for weeks at a time then a fixed bed is more convenient as long as there is enough space to have a comfortable seating area. A dinette or half dinette is not likely to be comfortable for two for long. This suggests a van in excess of 7 metres is more appropriate. If you move on every (few) days then the Autocruise layout is more appropriate. If you want a shorter van of around 6 metres in length then I would rule out a fixed bed.

I realise that the latest motorhome fashion is short and narrow low profile coachbuilts and many buyers speak very highly of them. If my (coach)build was short and narrow then I might be tempted also.

Steve

I don't think this is really a question about Autocruise v Burstner: it is a question about the advantages of fixed versus convertible beds.  My advice would be to forget, for the moment, the actual vans under consideration and just concentrate on the issue of the beds.  Most of the arguments are above, and this issue cleaves caravanners and motorhomers into two irreconsilable camps.

The fixed bed brigade favour the ever ready bed, the ability to dispense with sleeping bags in favour of more conventional bedding, and the advantage of the underbed storage space.  The downside is that you have only a dinette on which to sit, rather than a lounge in which to, er, lounge.

The convertible bed brigade almost always stress the advantage of the daytime lounge space, the ability to seat more friends for meals or conversation, and the frequently larger bed that results, for which they are happy to put up with a bit of physical effort evenings and mornings and (generally) the need to forego sheets and duvets in favour of sleeping bags, or similar.

This is a lifestyle decision which no-one else can really help you resolve!

However, to assist your confusion, there is a further alternative.  This is two permanent single beds.  Of necessity the van will be longer, though should still come in within about 7.5 metres, but you now get two underbed storage areas instead of one.  With these layouts the nocturnal trips need disturb neither partner, and the front dinette can have a side mounted setee of sorts so even the inveterate loungers get some relief.  You even get a bridging section between the singles in some, so you get a super king for those cuddly interludes!  Mind, these tend to be pushing 8 metres long.  The vans, that is!

Archived