we are virgins.

Guest martin h

Guest martin h
we are virgins to ferryboat travel so can you old seadogs tell us two the most "cost efective" way of getting our 6790 long (+bike rack) by 2850 high motorhome to Brittany on July 20th and back on August 11th .

Guest Clive
It also depends on the width in some circumstances. understand that Normandy Line have some special offers and are definately worth a look. Also P&O and Sea France. Check out all the web sites and do a dummy booking to find the cheapest. P.S. I have never seem them measure the LENGTH of a motorhome!!!!! I guess that yours must look like a 6.5 metre length which is a break point for quite a few carriers!

Guest PeteC
From the North we go via Hull Rotterdam or Zeebrugge They put you in with the freight but load via the car /passenger lanes (completely seperate entrances & exits) All those over 2.4m are pushed into one lane for loading Length; Width & height are not measured Also travelled via Portsmouth - Bilbao No problem really. You just have to join the lanes & w-a-i-t Have all docs available Last week they were checking with sniffer dogs ALL cars vans MH's & caravans And collecting reg Nos of all vehicles

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
P&O have introduced a year round fare for motorhomes on Dover/Calais £124 up to 9 passengers.

Depends where you are travelling from in the UK, but cheapest fares are usually Dover/Calais, or many motorhomers swear by Dover/Dunkirk (with Norfolk line) Seafrance are supposed to be doing a pricematch this summer, to beat any fare quote you get. Good luck! We have just booked for our wintersun trip to Spain in Feb 2006 with Eurotunnel. Their new booking website is now completely transparent in its pricing, so much less frustrating to try and get the lowest quote than in the past.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
Be very wary of fares on this route. I received a quote a few weeks ago for a period crossing with a Peugot 307 car for £300 return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are abusing the monopoly they now have since P&O pulled out of the Western routes.

Guest Neal
Martin Definately try Eurotunnel. As bb says they have a new, very simple pricing structure that is now very competitive. Unless you are an "old Matelot" and yearn for seafaring traditions (perversions?) then I can see no benefit in travelling by ferry. All landlubbers should keep off of boats! Regards Neal

Guest Derek Uzzell
P&O no longer operates Portsmouth-Cherbourg, but continues to operate (until end of September 2005) the Portsmouth-Le Havre route.

Guest alan
There is no definitive answer to your question without knowing where you live in the UK.If you live in the West/South of the UK Brittany ferries is an option.This is never a cheap crossing but for people in those areas there are large savings in distance/time compared to the Dover routes.If you are coming from the North the shorter crossings are beneficial but you will arrive in the "wrong"part of France and will take 2 days to get into the heart of Brittany.You pays your money.......

Guest Mike B
Take the train mate. Travel out after 5pm return before noon and it's £119 return for a 6.5m camper. There are lots of aires between Calais and Brittany for you to stop over in as well

That would refer to the Channel Tunnel, www.eurotunnel.com .As I posted earlier, on their new website it is now easy to pick the cheapest crossings for the date you want to travel- or a day or two either side might make a difference on the weekend.

We took the overnight Portsmouth-St Malo with Brittany Ferries. It was a super crossing, gives you a good night's sleep and drops you off early in the morning within 80 miles of even the south coast of Brittany. It also saves hours of driving and (potentially) tolls. It's not the cheapest but I'd do it again.

Archived