Flat tyre in Portugal

rooster63

Woke up one morning to find I had a flat tyre (not completely flat). Have breakdown insurance with Nationwide so as van was on very uneven ground, didn’t fancy trying to jack it up gave them a ring. A mechanic turned up at the camp site in less than an hour. However because I had reinflated the tyre to avoid damaging the sidewall he said that I should drive to a tyre place 5km away as the tyre had stayed almost fully inflated. Reluctantly I drove the van to the tyre place( was concerned moving the van could cause a sudden deflation). They diagnosed a faulty valve, very thorough check of condition of alloy wheel, Tyre etc, took 50 mins and cost €12
I did have a follow up call from the Nationwide breakdown call centre and when I explained what had happened they did say that the mechanic should have taken the tyre away to be checked.

I would count that as the preferred option and outcome as luck would have it. Having the wheel removed and taken away could have ended up with paying for an unnecessary new tyre. Being present and keeping a beady eye on proceedings may have made the difference. If you know what I mean.

Archived