SatNav issues - the perennial chestnut!

Aminthule

I have an Avtex Tourer/Garmin Camper 770 which has worked pretty well over the 5 years since I purchased it. Unfortunately this year I have started to encounter issues with map updates. The issue appears to be that the map updates are too large for the available storage in the device and I have been unable to work out from Garmin's website how to move the maps from internal stiorage to the Micro SD card that is installed and still has plenty of room on it. I would be pleased to hear from  anyone who has experienced similar issues with this model of SatNav.

You should have a program called Garmin Express on your computer.  This should open automatically when your device is connected.  Within Express you have options on whether to install maps to the device, an installed SD card or, if using BaseCamp or MapSource, to your device, the computer, or both.  If the SD card option is not visible, it may be that it is not being recognised, possibly because it is not fully inserted into the device.  Alternatively, it may be that the existing SD card does not, in fact, have sufficient remaining capacity for the latest maps - these are very large files.  With the device switched off, have you tried removing and re-inserting the SD card to ensure that it hasn't become partially dislodged in its socket?

I had a similar problem with my Garmin 780 and updates not being written to it. I had fitted a 128gb card and wondered why no updates were being written to it only to find the max size is only 32gb. After changing the card updates are now being written to it and I've got free space on the Garmin.

Archived