Question for Judgemental?

maggyd

Hi on putting in search engine weighbridge in Cleveland your name came up with the posting about you getting your MH weighed in Bolton? but had a location as Guisborough which is only a couple of miles from us.

So does that mean that the nearest weighbridge to Guisborough is Bolton? or do you know of a nearer one? hope you can help as otherhalf is stressing about getting it weighed as he is 70 and has a limit to weights he can drive and the second hand van we bought has quite a heavy bike rack seated on a tow bar.

Guest JudgeMental

Strange...

I have posted regards weights in the past - but I live in London and use the local council dept weighbridge in croydon S/W London?

regards your hubb's concerns, if he is restricted to 3500kg he needs to look at weight plate on motorhome first?

if this is 3500kg he is OK - if camper is 3850kg or higher he is not licensed to drive it? (irrespective of actual weight)

First, look at plate - if thats OK

find a weighbridge via your local council and then weigh it fully loaded to see if you are still legal..

good luck and dont panic - this is all supposed to be enjoyable!

come back on here if you need more help...

Thats very strange as it said location Guisborough!! that is why I asked you, never mind back to the drawing board :-) OH has been down to Council to enquire just come back but its down by the docks not a very good area where scrap lorries are weighed apparently!! we could end up with nails or worse in tyres.

The vans weight is under, its the bike rack and bikes that sits on a towbar I think the previous owner intended to tow a car. It is just an excuse to keep my clothes down I think everything I want to take will put us over, it doesnt matter about saterlite dishes and all the other rubbish!

We are probably alright ,we were reading about the checks in France and we will be going next year. And its peace of mind to know you are legal.

Guest JudgeMental

I would be concerned by any extra weight far out back...

safer to check beforehand

weighbridges are always attached to dumps - never had a problem

best to weigh before you leave as you may or may not have a problem with rear axle? - its one thing unloading a tank of water another sorting out overloaded axles...

maggyd - 2007-07-17 3:54 PM Thats very strange as it said location Guisborough!! that is why I asked you, never mind back to the drawing board :-) OH has been down to Council to enquire just come back but its down by the docks not a very good area where scrap lorries are weighed apparently!! we could end up with nails or worse in tyres. The vans weight is under, its the bike rack and bikes that sits on a towbar I think the previous owner intended to tow a car. It is just an excuse to keep my clothes down I think everything I want to take will put us over, it doesnt matter about saterlite dishes and all the other rubbish! We are probably alright ,we were reading about the checks in France and we will be going next year. And its peace of mind to know you are legal.

Margaret

I hope there isn't a misunderstanding.  Unless your husband gets the necessary medical clearance he'll lose any "grandfather" rights he already has on his driving licence when he reaches age 70.  It matters not what the actual weight of the vehicle is: if the plate on the side says it may legally weigh more than 3,500Kg, he won't be entitled to drive it.

Whatever the max plated weight (MAM) is, it is illegal to load the vehicle in excess of that limit, irrespective of the age of the driver, or whatever driving licence permissions he may have.  This applies also to the individual axle limits, as given on the vehicle plate.  I think he may be mainly concerned about overloading the rear axle. 

Your local Trading Standards should know of weighbridges in your area.  Try also local builders merchants who sell bulk sand, gravel etc (the sort of stuff sold by the tonne), as they usually have one.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2007-07-18 9:26 PM

HI the weight overall is 3.400KG Frontaxle is 1750 KG. Rear Axle 1900.

sounds fine - but you still have to compare this to the weight on plate (if by "weight overall" you mean loaded and ready for holiday)

but rear which can often be problematic should be OK...

Happy Holiday!

Oh dear these are just the weights shown under the bonnet we havent had it weighed yet !! :-( it looks as if we only have 100 KGs margin doesnt it? we load 2 lightweight foldin bikes on the bike rack at the back, we dont carry water, and the rest is clothes and food,

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2007-07-18 10:02 PM

Oh dear these are just the weights shown under the bonnet we havent had it weighed yet !! :-( it looks as if we only have 100 KGs margin doesnt it? we load 2 lightweight foldin bikes on the bike rack at the back, we dont carry water, and the rest is clothes and food,

how do you know you only have 100kg margin?? without having it weighed!

are you trying to make me cry - because you are getting there:-D

get to a weighbridge and resolve this - you may well be worrying about nothing! at least you will then Know for definate and can look at options?

JudgeMental - 2007-07-18 10:41 PM

maggyd - 2007-07-18 10:02 PM

how do you know you only have 100kg margin?? without having it weighed!

are you trying to make me cry - because you are getting there:-D

get to a weighbridge and resolve this - you may well be worrying about nothing! at least you will then Know for definate and can look at options?

What are you crying for JM you told me not to stress *-) were not getting it weighed yet until we have it loaded.

Guest JudgeMental
well good luck with everything - I am of on hol's tomorrow - to scared to go near a weighbridge... :-D

update on that J the weight of the van is 3040kg with an allowance of 364kg so it looks as if even if we overload a bit J should be still alright! As if we would! *-) enjoy your Hols and safe journey. Margaret.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2007-07-19 7:30 PM

update on that J the weight of the van is 3040kg with an allowance of 364kg so it looks as if even if we overload a bit J should be still alright! As if we would! *-) enjoy your Hols and safe journey. Margaret.

that is an assumed weight tolerance from swift? will take no account of extras such as Heki window, tow bar, awning...

you need to weigh it - its the only way forward anything else is purely quess work....

maggyd - 2007-07-19 7:30 PM

If you overload it your hubby might not exceed his licensing restrictions but the vehicle will still be overweight and as hubby is the driver he is responsible for it. For goodness sake just weigh the ruddy thing!

D.

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2007-07-19 8:39 PM

[quote

For goodness sake just weigh the ruddy thing!

D.

Thanks Dave!, I'm a big boy and I don't normally cry - but getting there! :-D

michele - 2007-07-19 11:18 PM :D Take no notice margaret

Yes Margaret, do take notice - and weigh both axles while you're at it! 

You don't need any maths, this is just simple arithmetic.  If either axle is beyond its permitted load, or if the van as a whole is above its permitted load, someone's financial status is at risk - and possibly their insurance status as well! 

Please stop pretending you only half understand, and do as Dave says, pretty please!

Hi,

Does anybody know the cost of the 70+ medical, and what is involved?

Have we all heard the story of the van driver stopped by the police, because he stopped every few miles and kicked the side of his van? He explained that if he could keep half of his load of pigeons airbourne.....he wouldn't be overloaded.

I often wonder how the PO would charge me for an empty parcel full of helium. I'll get my coat.

W3526602 - 2007-07-21 9:47 AM

Hi,

Does anybody know the cost of the 70+ medical, and what is involved?

John,

I think you will find the details here.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical/ataglance.aspx

I failed mine four years ago but it was only a temporary problem, if I want my full license back I will have to pass a test.

The cost depends on how well you get on with your GP.

Don

Archived