Fiat Ducato headlight dipping

PlymBob

If the information in the most recent (December 2022) Ducato Owner Handbook is to be believed, the anser is NO.

The handbook advises as follows

image.png.07ab9a6b150e6fbfd58de10310c37971.png

image.png.060def73fbdceef7d8568bccbd315296.png

No mention is made regarding the vehicle having 'traditional' halogen headlights or the "FULL LED" type.

It's POSSIBLE that the dipped-beam pattern of the Ducato LED headlights is 'bisexual' and won't dazzle when the vehicle is driven in left-hand or right-hand traffic. My Hyundai car's handbook specifically says this (for halogen or LED headlights) but the Ducato handbook suggests that this is not the case.

I notice that you've also asked about this on the Fiat Forum

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/2022-ducato-full-led-headlights.501152/

For anyone contemplating importing a new motorhome from a 'right-hand traffic' area (eg. Continental Europe), the vehicle's headlights will need to comply with the UK's beam-pattern regulations.

For Ducato this has meant replacing the vehicle's right-dipping headlights with left-dipping equivalents, with the cost varying from not-too-bad when the lights had no LED components and 'pattern' light-units had become available, to unpleasantly expensive if the light-units had integrated LED DRLS and only OEM units could be obtained.

My 2021 Hyundai I20 car's headlights have halogen bulbs and no LED components. However, same-age upmarket Hyundai I20 models have 'full-LED' headlights and my understanding is that the cost of a replacement is around £1400 (per headlight) and no 'pattern' lights are marketed. So if a Ducato's full-LED headlights are similarly priced, the cost of meeting the UK's importing rules would need to be considered carefully when considering buying abroad.

A UK Fiat Professional agent may well be able to say whether the latest Ducato's UK-specification left-dipping full-LED headlights can be switched to dip right (and what the cost of replacement full-LED light-units is). If left-dipping units can easily be switched to right-dipping, there's a good chance vice versa should be possible.

Archived