Insurance for mate in Van

michele

Guest caraprof

I think you'll find Michele, that no responsible insurer will allow your friends to alter your insurance conditions, Data Protection Act and all that.

I can see no alternative to you arranging it yourself. Will they be with you sharing the driving or are you lending them your motorhome for a week or two?

I would imagine that the insurer will amend your policy to allow anyone to drive with your permission, subject to the usual conditions; over a certain age, accident-free record etc. But it will incur a charge of course.

The alternative is for your friends to arrange the insurance themselves with a different policy, but then you come to the question of ownership, which will really complicate things.

As a matter of interest, mine is insured just for me as my wife had a minor prang a year or two ago and adding her would cost an extra £150. However, my insurer, the NFU (brilliant by the way) will give her temporary cover for three weeks for £20 so that she can share the driving on our main holiday.

If you have an insurance on vehicle then I think there would be a problem in raising a second sepperate insurance, so that means adding to your insurance, unless you suspend your insurance and they then insure it.

Guest JudgeMental

and the risks involved in adding a "friend" to your insurance are obvious - will they still be "friends" if things go wrong...

Oh yes do un to others at the end of the day its a bit of metal ..theres alot more to worry about after all your health for instance no health no van...

I,m not worried as we dont have friends like that actually its my hubbys colleague at work and I just know it would come back in pristeen condition looked after if it dont there will be a bloody good reason se la vie.

8-) You cannot have more than one insurance per vehicle- insurance companies will not give such cover. You will have to include your pal on the main insurance -declaring all the facts! and remember if the pal has an accident on your policy your no claims and premium will be affected at renewal! Pip pip. ;-)

I recently added my son-in-law to my insurance with Safeguard and the charge was about £25 for one week or £35 for two.

If I were to worry about this it would be about what might happen to my two grandchildren, not the 'van.

Brian

Archived