Clermont Ferrand & Millau

michele

Michelle

Two that we have used between Clermont Ferrand and Millau are sites at Issoire and St. Flour.

There are five sites at Issoire (according to the Caravan Club book) and the one we use is Camp Municipal du Mas. It isn't really feasible to walk into the town from here but the hypermarché is within walking distance and the Campanile with restaurant is also close. It's exit 12 from the A75, turn left over the autoroute towards Orbeil and first exit off the roundabout. Close to the autoroute so you can't get lost but no traffic noise.

St. Flour is a pretty town perched on a hill top but the site is closer to the autoroute and the town is a bit of a walk. The site we use is Camping International La Roche Murat which is just off junction 28 of the A75. You can see it from the autoroute but, once again, road noise in not a problem.

Anybody travelling on the A75 would be foolish to miss the restaurant accessed from junction 41 and called Le Bon Secours. You can see it from the autoroute because there is a huge 'Les Routiers' sign. Exit on junction 41, follow the minor road alongside the autoroute for 2kms. and experience a Gallic culinary experience in the company of locals and lorry drivers. Mountain cooking, not nouvelle cuisine, which will cause flesh to stick to your ribs. 12 euros and worth at least double. Enjoy!

Steve

Guest caraprof

Michele, we once stayed at a lovely little old town called St. Flour, which is about halfway between Clermont and Millau on the main road that I presume you'll be travelling.

It's a delightful place and although I can't remember the campsite there's one listed in the CC Europe Book which is 2km north of the town

There's also a municipal site but it can be crowded and it has a 2 mtr height barrier. You have to walk to the office and ask for it to be raised.

I presume that you have the CC Europe book and if you haven't I would strongly recommend it. Non-members can buy it.

Here's a couple of links that I found for St. Flour

http://france-for-visitors.com/massif-central/auvergne/st-flour.html

http://www.saint-flour.com/

Oops! Sorry about any duplication but Steve O' Reilly popped in whilst I was composing my post, as often happens!

Alfred,

The best way hummmm well thats up to the individual some like the scenery sometimes its the Motorway .

In our case this time we will be using the motorway because we need to get there at a certain time . So its really hard to advise whats best for you .

If you dont have to get there quickly then I would suggest that you just meander on down at your leisure ;-)

Steve O'Reilly - 2007-07-18 6:18 PM

Michelle

Two that we have used between Clermont Ferrand and Millau are sites at Issoire and St. Flour.

There are five sites at Issoire (according to the Caravan Club book) and the one we use is Camp Municipal du Mas. It isn't really feasible to walk into the town from here but the hypermarché is within walking distance and the Campanile with restaurant is also close. It's exit 12 from the A75, turn left over the autoroute towards Orbeil and first exit off the roundabout. Close to the autoroute so you can't get lost but no traffic noise.

St. Flour is a pretty town perched on a hill top but the site is closer to the autoroute and the town is a bit of a walk. The site we use is Camping International La Roche Murat which is just off junction 28 of the A75. You can see it from the autoroute but, once again, road noise in not a problem.

Anybody travelling on the A75 would be foolish to miss the restaurant accessed from junction 41 and called Le Bon Secours. You can see it from the autoroute because there is a huge 'Les Routiers' sign. Exit on junction 41, follow the minor road alongside the autoroute for 2kms. and experience a Gallic culinary experience in the company of locals and lorry drivers. Mountain cooking, not nouvelle cuisine, which will cause flesh to stick to your ribs. 12 euros and worth at least double. Enjoy!

Steve

Steve this Roche Murat does it get busy is it advisable to book can anyone say how busy it gets because the coastal sites are jammed packed this time of year ???? thanks

Michelle

I would say that it is an overnight stop sort of campsite. I suspect that if you're there early enough then you'll get on.

We travel this route (the A75) at least four times per year. We usually stop near Boulogne-sur-Mer for the first night; around Montluçon the second night; and reach our destination (the Med.) the following night. For the last two years we've used Eurotunnel for ease of altering crossings and cost - hence the stay near Boulogne-sur-Mer. We've used Camping L'Escale, Wacquinghen and Camping La Fontaine des Clercs, Montreuil.

The next night, heading South, is at Camp Municipal Le Moulin de Lyon at Huriel (highly recommended but keep it to yourself - we don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry there); Camping Creuse Nature at Boussac if we want to stay a couple of days; or, further east, Camp Municipal La Saulaie at La Charite-sur-Loire; or a campsite near Magny-Cours whose name escapes me.

We always use the A75 south of Clermont Ferrand for three reasons. It's free, it's beautiful and it's difficult to find an alternative route unless you want to spend days. Our route in northen France is motorways if they're free; the N1 from Boulogne-sur-Mer to Abbeville; and the small section of peage from Rouen to Louviers. From Rouen the route is Evreux, Dreux, Chartres and Orleans.

Here you have a choice - Follow the Loire; take the autoroute and pay; or travel west of the autoroute for nothing. Join the A75 north or south of Clermont Ferrand and enjoy the scenery.

The Caravan Club's Europe 1 sites book lists everything I've mentioned. It's almost worth joining them for this book alone but I've resisted and obtained it from others.

Best wishes

Steve

Archived