Carrying Extra Diesel

michele

What do people think re the saftey of carrying Extra Diesel on board.

The reason I ask if its safe is we would like to carry extra in a 10 ltr container for ourselves and just incase we saw someone in trouble without .

I was thinking that surely it can not be anymore dangerous than carrying diesel in your tank ....Who's gonna put me right and show me the error of our ways ...is it ok is it not . Hubby wants to do it me I,m not so sure ..thoughts please guys safe or not . *-)

Check what you're carrying it in, and where you're going.  I seem to remember it is illegal to carry fuel in containers of any kind in some countries, and for rather more countries the container must be of steel and of a type approved (and I think even marked), for carrying the fuel it contains.

But really, why?  Your tank holds around 80 litres, and you'll consume around 12 litres per 100 km travelled.  That should give around 600 km per fill, with a bit in reserve.  On French autoroutes many of the filling stations are 24/7, and you'd be hard pressed to cover 600 km in a day off autoroute.  If you look for a fill when the tank is about 50%, and make sure you top up Saturday, you shouldn't have any trouble.  Then you'll avoid any need to carry around a grotty, smelly, tank of diesel that probably won't hold enough to get you going again if you do run out, and will just absorb a bit more payload.

If you're uneasy about blaggers, I wouldn't stop for people who've "run out", either!  We missed a turning in France a couple of years back, and pulled onto a roadside layby to check the map.  There was a car there with its bonnet up and we were approached by some non French type wanting to know if he could pay for a bit of fuel syphoned from our tank with a ring, which he said was gold, because he said they'd run out.  Left the doors locked, said no, went down the road a couple of miles, turned round, and went back to pick up our route.  As we passed the layby, it was miraculously devoid of the fuel-less vehicle and both occupants.  Funny that!  I wonder what matey's mate would have been doing while we played with matey's bit of rubber tube?  Oh, and we didn't pass them pushing the car either.

Brian,

Silly me I have not even asked but he did say something about we might need it and also he would feel sorry if it ruined someones holidays always the good samaritan ...

He actually meant for a Motorhome only british he would consider French if they looked ok you know what I mean but on the whole a M/H he would stop for . I dont know I mean two extremes I dont wave anymore or nearly retired waving and he wants to stop for people ...Work us out or what :D We do have a proper container the old metal tin ///whatever container . Actually when he comes home tonight I will be double checking that one.

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-19 7:01 PM

Check what you're carrying it in, and where you're going.  I seem to remember it is illegal to carry fuel in containers of any kind in some countries, and for rather more countries the container must be of steel and of a type approved (and I think even marked), for carrying the fuel it contains.

But really, why?  Your tank holds around 80 litres, and you'll consume around 12 litres per 100 km travelled.  That should give around 600 km per fill, with a bit in reserve.  On French autoroutes many of the filling stations are 24/7, and you'd be hard pressed to cover 600 km in a day off autoroute.  If you look for a fill when the tank is about 50%, and make sure you top up Saturday, you shouldn't have any trouble.  Then you'll avoid any need to carry around a grotty, smelly, tank of diesel that probably won't hold enough to get you going again if you do run out, and will just absorb a bit more payload.

If you're uneasy about blaggers, I wouldn't stop for people who've "run out", either!  We missed a turning in France a couple of years back, and pulled onto a roadside layby to check the map.  There was a car there with its bonnet up and we were approached by some non French type wanting to know if he could pay for a bit of fuel syphoned from our tank with a ring, which he said was gold, because he said they'd run out.  Left the doors locked, said no, went down the road a couple of miles, turned round, and went back to pick up our route.  As we passed the layby, it was miraculously devoid of the fuel-less vehicle and both occupants.  Funny that!  I wonder what matey's mate would have been doing while we played with matey's bit of rubber tube?  Oh, and we didn't pass them pushing the car either.

Brian

One of the oldest con tricks in the book.!! They will offer you silly money for a miniscule amout of fuel. You then agree and they turn up with a pump so that they can syphon some fuel from your tank. Little do you know that one turn of this pump is able to extract a minimum of at least 10- 20 lts of fuel in one go. A lot of our drivers fell for this trick at Heartshead Moor,Birch, Knutsford, Sandbach & Keele services.

Now there seems to be a lot of so called"Fashion" exhibitors selling goods that they purport that they could not sell at a recent fashion show at these very same service stations.Lots of stickers saying that there are illegal traders on these sites, but my drivers still report that they see people falling for this scam!!

What is it about people thinking that they are getting something of value for a little outlay.

Just be aware!!

Thai

"What is it about people thinking that they are getting something of value for a little outlay." Just plain old fashioned greed Brian, that's all. On a similar vein (but off topic :$ ) I had a visit at work yesterday afternoon from a very attractive young lady hawking cosmetics at up to 80% off retail prices *-) , I just asked her why she thought I needed makeup, am I that ugly? She didn't respond and walked off to the next workshop who funnily enough gave her pretty much the same response. She looked official enough in her "power suit" with a name tag and what appeared to be some official looking ID/pass hanging from her waist though.

D.

Michele:

If "being a Good Samaritan" is an important factor in your proposal to carry spare diesel around with you, then it's worth remembering that, if one runs out of fuel with a modern diesel-powered vehicle, it's often not simply a matter of tipping more fuel in, the motor will need technical attention to get it restarted.

I'm with Brian on this - if I carried everything in our motorhome that I could envisage might be useful on a 'just in case' basis there'd be no room left inside for people.

I've just gone through Norfolk Lines Terms & Conditions and found this.

"10.7 No fuel cans of any nature whatsoever, whether full or empty are permitted onto the Ship and Norfolkline reserve the right to confiscate and dispose of any fuel cans at any time."

I assume the other ferry T & C are the same so you are all naughty boys & girls carrying fuel cans on the ferries. :-D :-D :-D

Don

Umh . wonder if the same on the shuttle ? After this i was going to take it but as Derek said if we are just keeping it for the sake of other then what's the point ? will discuss with Hubby later and get the finer picture.

Thanks Don for looking

I have logged all diesel put into 'Alice' [who the #### is Alice] and towing the trailer most of the time works out at a smidge under 30 to the gal. My bro. uses rape seed cooking oil and gets more but he is not in England so no worries about checks over chippy smell.So think unless somethyng unusual hapenns I shall not carry extra fuel in Alice but carry 7 galls in my Iveco van as have helped people several times who ran out of juice.

Alec

I am aware that fuel must only be carried in "suitable screw top containers" in amounts of no more than 4.54 litres (or one gallon in old money) to comply with UK regulations, under "The Petroleum Acts".

I do carry petrol in such a container for use in my generator.

Could be used in an emergency by other petrol burning vehicles.

I would sell it at an attractive price, depending on the users circumstances. Like, If a car that is newish and expensive, when the driver ought to have known better, £10 a gallon. Fair enough ?

Reminds me of "good old days" sailing from Liverpool to the Isle of Man for the TT Races when the scouse crew told us it was against the rules to have a full tank of petrol, so they drained our bikes dry, must have kept their cars on the road for months with the ammount of petrol they "confiscated".

I don't know what the laws in Europe are now, but certainly when I lived in Germany some years back when Mrs Windsor was my boss, it was advisable to carry 5ltrs of fuel in your car. Most of us Brits would carry a Gerry-can in the boot on the way home and pour it into the tank at Zeebrugge. However, if you strayed into France for whatever reason, the can of fuel in the boot was illegal. Best you just read up on the laws of each country you may wish to visit.

Its the mess that worries me about carrying diesel. Any spillage could cause so much damage but as ours is a van conversion we wouldn't be able to carry any due to space.

A more viable option could be to have a larger tank fitted and some new motorhomes allow you to specify it from new.

The larger tank would also keep the centre of gravity low down.

For what it's worth, I was told by a rep on the Al-Ko stand at the last NEC Show that the latest Fiat Ducato (and clones) chassis is designed to accommodate an optional larger-than-standard fuel tank.

I was amused by his reply to my query about why Al-Ko chose to exhibit at leisure shows when they clearly wouldn't be selling their products directly to Joe Public. He said their role was primarily to provide a support role in answering questions put to motorhome/caravan salespersons who (he claimed) were clueless about Al-Ko products.

I didn't think you could syphon out of fuel tanks nowadays? Don' t they have a mesh filter or something to stop you doing it?

Slight digression but we had to top up at a 24/7 pump whilst in france at an InterMarche I think. No problem accepted our credit card and pin, and even had the option of doing it in English! Cheapest fuel we found at 1.01 a litre!

"No fuel cans of any nature whatsoever"

Peculiar, we have traveled P&O and Sea France with a 5 litre Petrol can attached to the rear bumper with a ratchet strap and the two monkey bikes on the rear rack for many years and no one has ever questioned it. Now the bikes and can go in the trailer.

Rules is for foreigners!

Clive - 2007-07-21 10:28 PM

"No fuel cans of any nature whatsoever"

Peculiar, we have traveled P&O and Sea France with a 5 litre Petrol can attached to the rear bumper with a ratchet strap and the two monkey bikes on the rear rack for many years and no one has ever questioned it. Now the bikes and can go in the trailer.

Rules is for foreigners!

Clive,

It's like everything else, no problem until something goes wrong, then the fertilizer hits the fan.

Hows the boss getting on? or not getting on 8-) 8-)

Don

Archived