Are my leisure batteries up to the job?

rooster63

I am shortly to go on a camping trip with no EHU for 5 nights. Previously I have only ever done 2 nights and have been ok. I have 2 110amp batteries but probably the original ones fitted to my Timberland Destiny 2013.

I do have a solar panel, rated at 120w I think. I will also be driving a couple of the days about 20 miles. I have a Sargent control panel and when I am on hook up it gives a reading for my leisure batteries of about 13.4V and when not on hook up seems to be about 12.7. This drops to about 12.5 after a day or so and with a few lights on seems to indicate a amperage drain of about 0.3A.

Not sure how accurate the control unit is. Access to the batteries is a bit difficult as under front seats but I think I can get a multimeter on the terminals. If I can get a reading it will give me an idea if the control unit is accurate.

A lot variables I know but is there any way of checking whether my batteries will keep me going for 5 days, don’t want to wake up with no power for the pump etc.

Can you give it a test run a few days earlier? Turn on all the lights etc. for a few hours as a worst case scenario and see how long it will last. Obviously don't base your decision on voltage under load/charge, measure also after the batteries are rested about an hour or more (at night).

Given you have a solar panel and it's summer it should be OK either way if you park in the sun.

Likewise, two 95Ah of batteries but with 200W of solar and never see any daytime battery drain during the summer. As always, it depends what power you take out of your batteries. If its just mobile phone and laptop I suspect you should be fine. If you watch a lot of TV (we don’t) and/or operate an inverter then it it might be otherwise.

How long is a piece of string?

What seems to have been overlooked is that as @rooster63has suggested his habiation batteries may be 10 years old.  That is a good lifetime for a lead acid battery.  Further in saying that he thinks the batteries may be original, he suggests that he has not owned the vehicle from new.  The treatment that the batteries received under previous ownership is an unknown.

On my own 2006 PVC the habitation batteries have have been changed twice, the last time being in 2022, so 8 years life on average. These batteries are kept charged by the CBE CB516 charger.

I think that rooster63 is wise to question the state of his batteries, and that if possible, he should follow the suggestion made by @spirou.

Alan

I think i would be replacing them before i went away, after 10 years anything coukld happen and it's just not worth the risk of having problems while away and then what do you do apart from struggle? Just bite the bullet and get them sorted now and go away with peace of mind. 

Thanks for all the replies, I have been off grid before for a couple of days and the batteries seemed to be ok but generally don’t have much on. Probably a couple of lights and maybe an iPhone on charge. Anyway the camp site we were booked into has had a cancellation so we now have EHU.

Archived