URBAN MYTHS

grocer jack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the tortoise - 2007-07-20 8:12 PM Okay, guys and gals, what are your opinions on the existance of aliens and UFOs, and have they visited Earth?

Of course they have!!

How about the Roswel episodes, the Bermuda Triangle, The Marie Celiste,carvings on the surface in South America , Stonehenge and also can somone explain the building of the Pryamids, all from blocks of stone which can not be found within the immediate area!!

Thai

Tortoise, the subject matter is Urban Myths, so I think an upside down pudding falls into that category by implication, as whichever way it is on the plate, it can be either way up and satisfies the criteris for being a myth. >:-)

I'm fed up with this forum. Topics that are clearly motorhome-specific turn up in Chatterbox, Chatterbox-appropriate stuff increasingly intrudes in Motorhome Matters, while the section that is intended (or so I've always assumed) for people to provide proactive 'Hints and Tips' regularly contains requests for information.

Guest caraprof
Wingpete - 2007-07-21 7:37 AM Tortoise, the subject matter is Urban Myths, so I think an upside down pudding falls into that category by implication, as whichever way it is on the plate, it can be either way up and satisfies the criteris for being a myth. >:-)

Upside down puddings aren't a myth as they actually exist. Look in any good recipe book.

I've just taken a meat pie and turned it upside down. It's there on my plate and it's most certainly not mythical.

Some things have a top and a bottom. Upside down puddings are puddings where what one would normally assume to be at the bottom, are at the top.

The Tortoise:

It's probably impossible to "offend" me (sticks and stones and all that), but I do despair occasionally and I don't see why the forum shouldn't become aware of this.

Obviously you can please yourself how you react to my comment. Towards the middle of last year, when the Warners motorhome forum had degenerated into a kids' party free for all and prior to the introduction of the Chatterbox section, I decided I'd had a guts-full and took an extended Sabbatical. I'm beginning to think that another long holiday from the forum is now on the cards.

Once again you have hit the nail on the head, Caraprof.

An urban legend or urban myth is similar to a modern folklore consisting of stories often thought to be factual by those circulating them thus giving them credence.

Or someone wanting to yank your chain...

Derek Uzzell - 2007-07-21 9:31 AM

The Tortoise:

It's probably impossible to "offend" me (sticks and stones and all that), but I do despair occasionally and I don't see why the forum shouldn't become aware of this.

Obviously you can please yourself how you react to my comment. Towards the middle of last year, when the Warners motorhome forum had degenerated into a kids' party free for all and prior to the introduction of the Chatterbox section, I decided I'd had a guts-full and took an extended Sabbatical. I'm beginning to think that another long holiday from the forum is now on the cards.

Derek

That's very interesting.

How would you improve the quality of the postings?

Should each posting be vetted and then slotted into an appropriate thread?

As the headings appear to be quite clear as to the content, and 'going off thread' strongly disapproved of, it wouldn't appear to matter where the thread is 'filed'.

As for the 'party free for all' isn't that just lighthearted banter, which, apparently, appeals to quite a few people who follow the threads. (As long as they are not openly offensive, of course, and I'm sure that is why there are moderators present.)

I have to agree with Derek although I'm guilty of contributing to this thread in a light hearted manner. Actually contributing to this thread in that manner isn't the problem is it? The problem is the thread itself is in the wrong place, it should be in chatterbox. If we had a moderator or two who had the time to occasionally check whats going on he/she could have/would have moved it to the chatterbox section.

It would help though if we could all think carefully about where any topic would be best placed BEFORE we start it.

D.

Guilty , that is why I suggested it was moved in the first place ....

There is plenty of room on here it just needs moving .

I for one would not like the loss of the older & wiser forum members that give me invaluable information .

so what say you Mr Mod please move it before it does damage and gets people fed up ..Thank you.

Derek Uzzell - 2007-07-21 8:00 AM

I'm fed up with this forum. Topics that are clearly motorhome-specific turn up in Chatterbox, Chatterbox-appropriate stuff increasingly intrudes in Motorhome Matters, while the section that is intended (or so I've always assumed) for people to provide proactive 'Hints and Tips' regularly contains requests for information.

:-D I understand why you feel like you do. But you must take into account just as nobody knows everything about Motorhomes and the problems that occur with them? That not everyone knows the protocols or the use of computers in Forums. IMH&HO. Threads will always diversify. It's the animal of the beast. (lol) (lol) (lol)

johnsandywhite - 2007-07-21 4:16 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2007-07-21 8:00 AM I'm fed up with this forum. Topics that are clearly motorhome-specific turn up in Chatterbox, Chatterbox-appropriate stuff increasingly intrudes in Motorhome Matters, while the section that is intended (or so I've always assumed) for people to provide proactive 'Hints and Tips' regularly contains requests for information.
:-D I understand why you feel like you do. But you must take into account just as nobody knows everything about Motorhomes and the problems that occur with them? That not everyone knows the protocols or the use of computers in Forums. IMH&HO. Threads will always diversify. It's the animal of the beast. (lol) (lol) (lol)

For what it's worth, John, which I suspect is very little, I'm right with Derek.  I can see no connection between "urban myths" and motorhomes. 

There is a difference between a little off thread rambling - because it may be amusing, or even informative in a different context - even people tacking onto threads with different, but related, questions; and what seems far too often to have been happening recently, which is wholesale disregard for the suggested topics under which threads should be started. 

This is clearly a "Chatterbox" topic: it should not have been started under "Motorhome matters" and, if posted in error, should have been moved to Chatterbox.

Yes, there needs to be some flexibility, and yes, of course there are newcomers who post in error.  However, unless some discipline prevails, the function of the forum, which is (at least was) primarily to allow people to seek and exchange useful information, is lost. 

If the boundaries all become blurred the information gets spread all over the place, and anyone trying to find an answer to a problem will face a task like walking into a library where the books are shelved in random order.  In short, useless! 

As Derek says, you now have silly chat in the motorhomes section, motorhome questions in the silly chat section, queries in the section intended for posting useful information, and I'd add, people asking for site recommendations in the section intended for providing information about sites. 

I could go on, but he's dead right!  Discipline is required from us all, if the usefulness of the site is to be preserved!  It must be voluntary discipline, because no one else can realistically be expected to impose it.  It must be flexible discipline, because no-one (I suspect) wants to be subjected to a tyranny.  However, discipline it must be.

Yep ,

Have to agree Brian where would some of us be without this useful info.

And if we continue to have a free for all then the people who have been doing this in their sleep will just get fed up . They come on here to give sound advice and help people.

I for one would not like to be stuck without a reply take for instance when stuck in Chamonix without heating . I got answers straight away would you want it any other way I think not .

Lets keep it M/H matters and Chatterbox for that very reason admitedly new commers may not always get it right in that case perhaps the Mods would move it . This is just my opinion .

I think the "mods", or lack thereof, is a big part of this issue. A well run forum with moderators to oversee things would not fall into this trap as one of the mods would have moved this thread to its appropriate place.

Therefore I make this plea to the owners of this website/forum, please enlist some moderators who have the time to keep things under control. It doesn't necessarily need to be a Warners employee, just a few sensible and intelligent people who could pop in from time to time and keep it all nice and tidy.

It wasn't very long ago that a couple of members had to phone Warners to sort out a problem on here, that is not good enough, we need regular moderation to keep it sweet.

D.

Archived