CO and smoke detector on brand new van

Adiebt

Just bought a brand new Burstner from a main dealer and was aghast to find on our first trip away this weekend that the above detectors weren’t fitted .

I phoned them up and they told me that Burstner  don’t fit them and neither do they as dealers yet their website has a whole section on CO and smoke detectors being of the utmost importance safety wise ! 
flabbergasted ! 

9 hours ago, Grumpyman said:

I would tell the dealer to fit same  for you or no more business in the future. The motorhome you describe does'nt come cheap fitting two detectors wouldn't break the bank I think the dealer is a right scrooge.

Grumpyman

Well of course the rub is im tied into the manufacturer and dealer for quite some time , o for the freedom of buying a car rather than a motorhome 

And of course for safety’s sake I’ve bought both myself , grrrrrrr

This 2017 C&MC forum thread may be of interest.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/caravan-motorhome-chat/legal-requirement/

The requirement to fit a CO detector to a motorhome sold new in the UK is an NCC stricture and only relates to makes/models that are NCC certified - but few non-UK-built motorhomes fall into that category.

I bought a 2015 Rapido 640F new from a UK dealership and - as Rapido's documentation made no mention of a smoke or CO detector being standard - I assumed the Fire Angel smoke detector that was fitted to my 640F had been added by the dealership.  However, the detector had been located where it would have been warning constantly whenever cooking was done, so I needed to move it to a more rational place. (The detector failed within 12 months, though I did manage to get a free replacement from Fire Angel.)

The Rapido also came with a dinky little 1kg dry powder fire extinguisher (that I believe is mandatory for new motorhomes sold in France) but this was hidden in a narrow 'slot' next to a side settee - so I added a larger-capacity water-mist extinguisher and positioned it where it was visible and easy to access.

The moral of this tale is that, even if a motorhome does come as standard with 'free' safety equipment, that equipment may well be nothing special and may not have been carefully installed. 

Archived