Black Streaks

KD1

I wonder can anybody help me to get rid of those unsightly black streaks that are spoiling the appearance of my new Frankia Motorhome? With all the rain it is a problem that I have to try to eliminate,having tried various so-called solutions-the sreaks are still highly visible! Any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.Thanks.

KD1 - 2007-07-20 3:45 PM I wonder can anybody help me to get rid of those unsightly black streaks that are spoiling the appearance of my new Frankia Motorhome? With all the rain it is a problem that I have to try to eliminate,having tried various so-called solutions-the sreaks are still highly visible! Any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.Thanks.

There are a number of products available, either Fenwicks or Autoglym Black Streak Remover are in my opinion, the best of the bunch. Both are available at most accessory shops or Halfords and retail around £4.

Don't know why it works but I had lubed the locks with WD40 and the wipe-up rag had some traces on it and noticed that the black lines just disappeared - no rubbing or force-and there is nothing nasty in that product for paint. Also I tried the French equivalent of Back-to-Black and theirs is infinitely superior as it permanently shines plastic but get the exterior brilliante type from Le Clerc. About 3 urines.

Alec

Been using Fenwicks motor home cleaner on my van for years, dilute it 1 part cleaner to 10 parts water, pour it into an empty plastic spray bottle, (dozens of `em under the kitchen sink) give the black streaks a quick spray just before washing the van. Will also get rid of the green and black slime that forms in all the little crooks and nannies.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so enjoy it.

Guest peter
KD1 - 2007-07-20 3:45 PM

I wonder can anybody help me to get rid of those unsightly black streaks that are spoiling the appearance of my new Frankia Motorhome? With all the rain it is a problem that I have to try to eliminate,having tried various so-called solutions-the sreaks are still highly visible! Any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.Thanks.

White spirit works a treat and livens up dead polish as well. Just a little on a rag goes a very long way. Stands to reason as the streaks are oily polution.

I use fenwicks in a spray gun. Spray it over give it a good brush rinse it all off and then apply fenwicks polish through a spray gun and hose it off again. Works a treat for me but we dont have a hosepipe ban up hear yet!!

KD1 - 2007-07-20 3:45 PM

Thanks for all your replies-I will certainly try them out.Happy Motorhoming!

It does depend on the material you are cleaning.

If coated aluminium, no problem with any of the above suggestions.

If GRP, then you should avoid products containing silicone.

If ABS plastic, then be VERY careful. Some products will melt the ABS!

Whatever, always test an an area that doesn't matter first.

Mel E

====

Archived