Travel from Spain to Italy.

KD1

I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice regarding going from Spain -Barcelona to Genoa in Italy.

Is the Ferry the cheaper way to travel,or is it best to use the Motorway and go along the South Coast of France into Italy,taking accout of the tolls and tunnel,bearing in mind that I have a tag axle 6 wheel motorhome?

I will be spending the Winter in Portugal and Spain,before heading to Ancona to catch the Ferry to Greece. If any body wants any advice regarding touring in Greece I will be more than happy to help out. Thanks.

Le Boulou to Menton will cost you around 50 Euros in fuel and around 62 Euros in tolls.  Can't answer for Spanish or Italian tolls, but both are generally lower than in France, with Italian fuel similar or more expensive and Spanish cheaper.  I'd be surprised if a ferry would be cheaper, but much would depend upon where from/to, what time of year, and whether there was a camping deck option allowing you to prepare your own meals.

Hi KD1

Just keep the sea on your right. :-D :-D

Brian,

The camping on board between Italy & Greece is the only one I've come across except on one old open deck ferry on the Italy - Sardinia run. It looks like a jumbo sized landing craft and is open to the elements. . I saw the boat/ship in 2004..

Has anybody come across any other "official" camping on board facility.

Don

I thought Keith wanted to do Spain-Italy on a ferry, Don, and I've no idea what runs from where to where at what cost or when.  However, if there is such a ferry, I thought he may be able to keep down his ferry costs if he could use his van cooker while on board. 

However, all this is really for Keith to research with Spanish shipping companies because the days, and dates, he intends travelling (which only he can know) will determine the cost, and only then can he know whether by road or by sea will be cheapest.

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-20 7:13 PM

I thought Keith wanted to do Spain-Italy on a ferry, Don, and I've no idea what runs from where to where at what cost or when.  However, if there is such a ferry, I thought he may be able to keep down his ferry costs if he could use his van cooker while on board. 

However, all this is really for Keith to research with Spanish shipping companies because the days, and dates, he intends travelling (which only he can know) will determine the cost, and only then can he know whether by road or by sea will be cheapest.

Brian,I did not read the post properly, there is a ferry from Barcelona to Genoa.http://www.viamare.com/grandi-navi-veloci-genoa-barcelona.htmlIt's about 540 miles so I would think it would be cheaper by road.Keith,Why are you using Ancona port, a god awful place to get in and out off. Cost wise your better off using Venice bearing in mind the Camping on Board does not start until 1st April.Don

Why use the French motorways? The near parallel N roads are perfectly OK and free. I recently travelled from near the Spanish border to the Rhône in just 6 hours, and you could easily get from La Jonquera to Menton or Larche in under two days. I do agree, however, that it is best to use the Italian motorways to cross the country.

Brian

Archived