legal requirments

spannerman

Just being serious for a moment and speaking from personal experience I would say The fridge, but not because the fridge needs to be faulty or to blame. Some years back I was sat in the back of our Dormobile as it was too hot to walk about when I heard this roaring noise start up. I looked towards the noise which was comming from under the fridge. I bent down to find a massive flame from the fridge burner which was already charing the timber behind the fridge and had already set fire to the plastic fridge foot. I turned off the gas at the bottle, squirted some water at the smouldering bits and after the conflaguration was out removed the fridge and affected a temporary repair making a new foot out of a empty baked bean tin. The problem was a failure of the Camping Gas regulator. It had failed allowing full bottle pressure into the outlet. I had a spare regulator which was fitted to complete our holiday and get us back from France but since then I have never trusted camping Gas regulators.

On returning home I did an ortopsy on the failed regulator. The way the gas paths are made in the regulator is by drilling several holes in the casting that cross each other. Then the non required ends of the holes were blocked up by forcing a small ball bearing into the hole. The thermal expansion of aluminium is greater than that of steel so at 40C (the ambient at that time) the ball fell out!. Needless to say the Clive method of closing the hole end was a little more guaranteed to stay closed. Tapped and loctighted.

How do they make them today?

I hate to imagine what might have happened if the failure had occured at night when all 4 of us were all asleep.

Second item for fires would be a chip pan!

C.

Back to being a plonker now!!!

Hi,

I keep reading that (in France?) triangles are not necessary if your car has hazaard lights. Hmmmm! I think I will carry a triangle anyway.

On Friday night, driving in convoy with many others trying to find a way round the floods in Swindon, I had to do a crash stop mid way round a tight bend. Car parked at side of road with hazaards flashing, but invisible until I was right on it. I had no real problem stopping in time, but was waiting for the car behind to hit me.....it didn't.

Er...do triangle work in floods? :-D

Archived