angles mort stickers

teccer1234

5 hours ago, laimeduck said:

I do have magnetic ones for the cab and a tethered sucker one for the rear.

Just choose not to use them as I don't want to be identified as an HGV.

Jeremy

I can hardly disguise my van 7.7 m and tag axle but for the last 13 years with this van at the tolls I've always been class 2, I recon it's because the front of the van above the front wheels it's only 2.6 m, I'm sure that's where they measure the height, now with the AM sticker on the front door area, if they bother to look they will know it's an HGV.

This link is to the (hopefully authorative) French-language webpage that explains the autoroute vehicle classification system.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm

As should be plain, the vehicle-height threshold is 3 metres and this value relates to the vehicle's OVERALL height.

It would appear that - even if a vehicle has 3 (or more) axles - provided that its overall height is LESS than 3 metres, it might still legitimately qualify for a Category 2 toll-charge. However, that would only be true if the vehicle's gross weight (GVW) did not exceed 3500kg.

Although you haven't provided details of the make/model of your motor home, its length and 3-axle configuration make It near certain that its GVW will be greater than 3500kg. Consequently, despite you having 'got away with it' for 13 years, you should really have been paying the Category 4 toll-charge throughout that period of time.

(To the best of my knowledge - although the technology is certainly available - no automated vehicle weighing occurs at autoroute toll-booths. Besides which, it's the GVW (ie. the overall weight value on the vehicle's registration document) that 'counts', not the actual weight of the vehicle when it arrives at the toll-booth.)

Having been touring here the last few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that very few French motorhomes have Angles Morts stickers, even the big Carthagos.  It seems to be most popular among British and German vans.  Even the German 6m panel (just like ours) in the pitch next door has them!