French Clean air sticker

Susan reed

It's not obligatory for a UK (or French) motorist to obtain or display a Crit'Air sticker in order to legally drive in France.The sticker only becomes necessary if the motorist enters a French 'clean air' zone (eg. central Paris) where failing to display the sticker can result in a fine.

As far as difficulty obtaining a sticker is concerned, Yes some effort and computer skills are needed to successfully apply. However, any UK motorist able to participate on internet forums and use a smartphone should be able to do this (perhaps with a little advice from people familiar with the application process) and the cost is quite small.

7 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

...  necessary if the motorist enters a French 'clean air' zone (eg. central Paris) where failing to display the sticker can result in a fine.

Not just central Paris but (as far as I know) everything included in the Periferique (kind of London Orbital).

Green zones are quite widespread across many cities in France and from what I've seen enforcement must be very lax, hence my comment.

Agree it's no big deal to get one but sometimes time pressure or other factors intervene and in such cases I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I second the advice from Spirou.

I have them for my 2005 Benimar cat4 and my motorbike Cat 2 yellow? 

However like the fiasco of the breathalysers,  and the Angles Morts stickers and the "no food imports from outside Schengen" nothing seems to be policed. French prescriptive laws which will only be used if you transgress?

I would get them ...the official ones cost peanuts, but if you can't I wouldn't worry too much ....  they only apply to urban areas anyway?

Jeremy

16 hours ago, laimeduck said:

I second the advice from Spirou.

I have them for my 2005 Benimar cat4 and my motorbike Cat 2 yellow? 

However like the fiasco of the breathalysers,  and the Angles Morts stickers and the "no food imports from outside Schengen" nothing seems to be policed. French prescriptive laws which will only be used if you transgress?

I would get them ...the official ones cost peanuts, but if you can't I wouldn't worry too much ....  they only apply to urban areas anyway?

Jeremy

I agree.   As part of my unofficial market research in September looking for Angles Morts stickers on French Motorhomes - as rare as hens' teeth, the same applied to Crit'Air stickers.   French arrogance?

11 minutes ago, derek500 said:

I agree.   As part of my unofficial market research in September looking for Angles Morts stickers on French Motorhomes - as rare as hens' teeth, the same applied to Crit'Air stickers.   French arrogance?

The French in France do as they see fit.

Like Italian do in Italy, the British in Great Britain, etc.

They are at their home.

Foreigners in any other country must (I repeat, must) conform to local laws.

See for example headlight masks, country stickers, but also insurance, food (type and quantity), etc.

What is every attempt (and every suggestion) to cheat the rules if not arrogance ?

Instead it seems that your only concerns are the rules regarding pets and insurance in case of breakdown.

17 hours ago, mtravel said:

RVs must have "bus" and NOT "truck" ones.

The Angles Morts stickers were discussed fairly recently here  (in some depth) 

Although there is the occasional on-line caveat that ONLY the 'bus' sticker MUST be used for motorhomes, as I said in the earlier thread, there is no reference to motorhomes (camping-cars) in the relevant French law and - in fact - nothing to say that the 'truck' sticker MUST only be used on trucks, or that the 'bus' sticker MUST only be used on buses.

Although the 'truck' sticker pairs naturally with trucks and the 'bus' sticker pairs naturally with buses, that  logical relationship is not explicitly referred to within the French law. It's reasonable to assume truck and bus drivers use common-sense and pick the sticker that matches their vehicle, rather than be bloody-minded and choose the inappropriate design.

As far as I can make out, no 'custom' truck or bus angles morts stickers are marketed - just the two officially-approved sticker designs. That such a variety of non-officially-approved 'custom design' stickers for motorhomes are advertised (and presumably bought) may tell one something about the motorhoming community. 😀