Dometic 'Fridge on Autogas

robin

The burning question in scramblers's case is, even if autogas (French or otherwise) did produce fridge jet-blocking or excessive gas-flue sooting, would this cause the 'vile smell' he mentions? I would have thought it should be possible to get a reasonable idea from the smell itself as to what's causing it, or is that wishful thinking?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we have a van that is 6 weeks old from purchase new and have only used it twice on gas for two seperate nights just to chill the fridge. This weekend we did the same and we cannot get the pilot light to ignite and we too use autogas so will be watching this space. Will inform you of outcome when returning to dealer.

chri

Just a thought on the leeching of compounds from the gas hose and blocking regulators might have an impact on smell ?.

I was wondering if the smell aditive added to the leeching effect ?

When I changed cylinders last time, and left the hose dangling, there was quite a discharge of oily fluid, luckily my regulator is quite high in relation to the top of the cylinder so was not affected.

If the same happened now, I would take a sample and put a match to the fluid and see what outcome happened.

It maybe the oily fluid has gone through the regulator and is burning in the flame , thus causing the smell ?

Maybe ?

Rgds

Usinmyknaus - 2007-08-13 2:09 PM

Any of you technical experts out there know if cleaning the burner and chimney is a DIY job please? Or can Dave Newell look forward to regular contributions to his pension fund?

Bob

We asked Dave Newell to do a 'fridge out' service on my Tec Tower after repeated problems with my CO alarm going off and the fridge not working on gas. Dave was able to take out a small screw attaching the T piece at the top of the flue and that T piece will now lift off, enabling a flue brush to be used with the fridge in situ. I am comforted by knowing that I can now clean the flue when travelling if I have to, though since Dave did his magic, we've had no more problems. I will still take the van to Dave for its annual habitation check and service as I wouldn't want Dave to retire in poverty!

I have replaced the jet assembly myself, just a couple of screws to be removed. The critical part is the injector and you can't do much to that except blow any muck out.

P&L

peterandlinda - 2010-11-18 8:17 AM

Any of you technical experts out there know if cleaning the burner and chimney is a DIY job please? Or can Dave Newell look forward to regular contributions to his pension fund?

Bob

We asked Dave Newell to do a 'fridge out' service on my Tec Tower after repeated problems with my CO alarm going off and the fridge not working on gas. Dave was able to take out a small screw attaching the T piece at the top of the flue and that T piece will now lift off, enabling a flue brush to be used with the fridge in situ. I am comforted by knowing that I can now clean the flue when travelling if I have to, though since Dave did his magic, we've had no more problems. I will still take the van to Dave for its annual habitation check and service as I wouldn't want Dave to retire in poverty!

I have replaced the jet assembly myself, just a couple of screws to be removed. The critical part is the injector and you can't do much to that except blow any muck out.

P&L

I regularly sweep the gas-flue of my Dometic 7-Series fridge/freezer nowadays following a few episodes where the appliance was reluctant to re-light automatically on gas. (Bring back the pilot-flame!) I'm not sure if a dirty flue was actually the cause but, as the problem hasn't reared its ugly head for a while, I'm not complaining.

Anyway, although Dometic uses a corrosion-proof material for the 'baffle' that hangs down inside the flue, they choose to use a length of rust-loving metal wire to hang the baffle from. This seemed like a daft idea to me, just inviting rust particles that form on the wire to drop into the burner below, so I've made a replacement baffle-hanger from a stainless-steel bicycle spoke.

I'm certain there's someone in Dometic's design department employed specifically to come up with ideas to make people's lives difficult. Like the pesky scrrew locating the T-piece on the flue-top. Surely it can't be that hard to design the top of the flue so that the T-piece is correctly positioned and yet can easily be removed?

Basil - 2007-08-17 11:54 AM Hi All, Been thinking about this. Those that are experiencing this problem are they all using the Truma/ Gok 30mb Regulator, or at least a new standard 30mb reg anyway? If they are (I am using a Propane dedicated 37mb regulator) perhaps it is the fridges inability to burn propane correctly at the lower 30mb pressure that is causing the problem, that seems a more likely cause to me as the burner is a compramise to allow the use of both Butane and Propane gas at the same pressure despite the fact they have a different CV! It would be interesting, to me anyway, to know which pressure and regulator people are using that has given no problem compared to those that have had a problem. Bas

If it is any help (at the risk of provoking the fates!  :-)), and in response to the above, we use one Calor 13kg propane cylinder, and one Butagaz 13kg propane cylinder, connected by Truma Secumotion tails, via Truma auto changeover valve, to a Truma "Secumotion" 30mb regulator, equipped with the EisEx heater.  The heater element is apparently wired across the heater circuit, so that it is energised only when the Truma Combi is set to provide heating.

The Dometic three way fridge has been run on 12V, mains, and gas for the past 3 years, during which time we have spent 568 nights in the van.  Use on gas is mainly limited to mid-day stops when travelling, and while parked off site, for example at supermarkets.  I would say the fridge has, therefore, been lit in excess of 200 times, running on gas for periods varying between about one hour and up to 12 hours.  There have been no odd smells, and the fridge has always (so far, please!) fired without problem.  I am therefore uninclined to go along with the idea that problems when running on Autogas have to do with 30mb pressure, or any problem burning propane.

Problems with the Truma/GOK regulators were not limited to those using Autogas, many more users (mainly caravaners) having problems with exchange cylinders, both on propane, and I believe also butane.  If I remember, the problems with regulators were not exclusively limited to the Truma/GOK variety.  I disconnect, and remove from the van, the gas cylinders each winter, leaving the tails hanging.

peterandlinda - 2010-11-18 8:17 AM

Bob

P&L

Thanks for that, useful to know. It was weird to see a post from 3 and a bit years ago pop back up as a quote - shows that once stuff gets into cyber space it's there for ever. Dave services the fridge every year as part of the habitation check and so far its worked fine on autogas. Your and Derek's info has gone into my maintenenace tips guide and will be comforting to know once we are using gas for extended touring, far from the reassuring clickety clunk of Dave's spanners, in a few years' time.

Picking up the point elsewhere on smelly Dometic condensation reservoirs - in a week of unrelenting 30-40 degree ambient heat, direct sunlight and no shade whatsoever in Leipzig last summer the reservoir filled quickly with both water and dead insects and became very, and I emphasise "very", smelly after just 3 days. Regular washing out solved that problem.

Bob

Thanks for the information Brian, I had forgotten this one as it was a long while ago, so it appears (going on your experience) nothing to do with the type or rather pressure of regulator.

It might be interesting to hear how the earlier posters have got on since the time they have posted, whether there has been any improvement/ cure or if the problems still persist.

Bas

• 2 weeks later...
chris - 2010-11-27 8:47 PM

FOLLOW UP ON OUR FRIDGE PROBLEM:-

Checked by dometic agent and found spiders webbs so Autogas not to blame (lol)

chris

Spider-webs in the intake/exhaust flues are supposed to be a not uncommon problem with Truma gas-fuelled heaters that aren't used for a while.

First time I've read about it for fridges - did the Dometic agent say where the webs were, please?

peterandlinda - 2010-11-19 3:54 PM

Hi

I confess, I didn't realise the original question was that old!

We re-routed the fridge drain pipe out through the bottom vent as it kept overflowing and damaging the plywood at the back of the fridge. The little plastic beaker just ain't big enough for the job.

P&L

Thanks for that tip - I'll look at making the same modification.

Bob

• 5 months later...

Finally had the habitation check carried out, couldn't have it done earlier because of the Burstner warranty and I have been running the fridge on electric so it's not caused a problem.

While they were checking the fridge I asked them to check the burner and flue. The soot build up on the baffle and in the flue had reduced the flue to about 15% of it's normal diameter. Needless to say when the fridge is run on gas the smell has completely dissappeared.

• 2 years later...
Guest 1footinthegrave
I've resurrected this thread to see if folk have had further issues running their fridges on autogas, getting fed up now with the cost of my preferred choice of cylinder Calor lites 6 kg so considering a single refillable 11kg bottle gaslow or similar, so folks any issues still out there, or any resolutions please before I go for it.

For what was once a "hot topic" this has gone very quite hasn't it?.. :-S

Just a thought,1foot' but if you've the room in your gas locker(and the payload,coz they are chuffin' heavy!) for a "standard" 13kg,they are only about 25 quid to exchange.

(..which works out about half the price of the 6kg bottles).

I know they're probably in a different exchange category..but I wouldn't mind betting that if you rolled up with a couple of empty 'lites to hand in they'd be flexible(..and didn't you say you had 4?).

I do know they let me hand in a 'lite, in order to get our 13kg bottle....

Okay,Calor probably not ideal for someone spending loads of time of the Continent.. but I believe that you have managed well enough with just using Calor so far.

(..even if it meant, keeping hold of one 'lite,as a back-up)....

Sorry,none of that answered your question...but just giving an alternative view, before you shelled out money, that you may not need to... ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes thanks for that, but with my ageing and creaking body it is the sheer weight of mauling bottles that I need to avoid, hence the change to Calor lites when they first came out, but carrying four is now becoming very costly when it comes to exchanging. Also given that we both feel the cold more,and would like to get away from the constraints of ( only ) four bottles to use the heating more, and also would like to spend ever greater time over the water and we make use of aires frequently I'm thinking a refillable is the way to go, odd though that Dometic apparently advise against the use of autogas on fridges, mmmmm although I've now seen an inline gas filter for use with a refillable bottle, God knows what it's purpose is though, must be a reason I guess. :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-14 11:28 AM

Yes thanks for that, but with my ageing and creaking body it is the sheer weight of mauling bottles that I need to avoid, hence the change to Calor lites when they first came out...

In that case,steer well clear of the 13kg bottles... (lol)

scramblers - 2011-05-06 8:45 PM

Finally had the habitation check carried out, couldn't have it done earlier because of the Burstner warranty and I have been running the fridge on electric so it's not caused a problem.

While they were checking the fridge I asked them to check the burner and flue. The soot build up on the baffle and in the flue had reduced the flue to about 15% of it's normal diameter. Needless to say when the fridge is run on gas the smell has completely disappeared.

I run my Dometic fridge using 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles. My fridge instruction manual also said not to use LPG but provided the flue is kept clear of soot I have had no more problems.

I bought my Gaslow system about 10 years ago so that I could take advantage of the cheaper LPG (it is now about 70p/litre or £1.40/kg) as well as not having to heave heavy gas bottles about. The biggest saving came when taking long holidays abroad, I use to exchange my partially fill bottle for a new one to ensure that I arrived in France with two full gas bottles, I then spent the next few weeks trying to eek out the gas to ensure that it lasted for the holiday. Now I just fill up my bottles at the next LPG petrol station.

The system was expensive to fit but I now reckon I'm in profit. :-D

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-13 10:46 PM

I've resurrected this thread to see if folk have had further issues running their fridges on autogas, getting fed up now with the cost of my preferred choice of cylinder Calor lites 6 kg so considering a single refillable 11kg bottle gaslow or similar, so folks any issues still out there, or any resolutions please before I go for it.

We didn't have any problems with our fridge on autogas, as when it stopped working on gas I tried the campinggaz bottle just in case ;-).................but it didn't work on that either *-)............had it repaired Thermal couple apparently.......and it worked until our first stop in France >:-( ...........now going to replace the fridge as its 23 years old.........although I need to save up a few arms and legs first 8-)........

Very pleased with our Alugas system though, and with the campinggaz bottle as a spare, I reckon we've got the ideal setup now...................and peanuts to refill which happens about twice a year at the moment B-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-13 10:46 PM

I don't think anything much has changed since the original 2007 posting.

Dometic's advice then was

"...the problem with using autogas is that the flue central tube (chimney) will soot up in a short period of time. Autogas contains oily substances which give rise to combustion problems i.e. sooting when burning...although the performance of the fridge itself should not be affected...if Autogas is used the burner and central flue will need to be cleaned regularly when in use."

I'm tempted to modify that advice to

"...the problem with using autogas is that the flue central tube (chimney) MAY soot up in a short period of time. Autogas CAN contain oily substances which give rise to combustion problems i.e. sooting when burning...etc."

but the caveat is that using Autogas to fuel fridges introduces an unpredictability factor regarding gas 'quality' that (as far as Dometic are concerned) is less likely to be present when bottled gas is used.

You mention a gas-filter. This is probably the Truma product (though there are others) that's intended to remove any oil contamination in the LPG before it reaches the regulator. If you are concerned about the possibility of 'dirty' autogas affecting your fridge, you might consider fitting the Truma filter.

http://www.truma.com/int/en/gas-supply/accessories-gas-pressure-regulators.php

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-122320.html

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks very much Derek for that info, given that these filters are now on the market one can only assume that there is a real possibility of oil residue contamination with autogas, the advice that the fridge tube sooting up with our particular fridge could only be a nightmare for me, as I cannot see a way that the tube could be cleaned without taking the fridge out completely, also unlike some other fridges fitted in previous vans there is no way of seeing or accessing the burner jet to see the flame or colour, oh dear, back to the drawing board, may consider an Eberspacher heater, and stick with Calor for just cooking and fridge use' life used to be so simple. :-S

When I serviced my fridge which had only been run on Autogas for over 3 years, the flue baffle was completely clean no soot at all, cleaning the flue chimney no soot found also removed the burner and that was clean. All I ended up doing was cursing that I'd wasted ½ a day.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-07-15 9:51 AM

When I serviced my fridge which had only been run on Autogas for over 3 years, the flue baffle was completely clean no soot at all, cleaning the flue chimney no soot found also removed the burner and that was clean. All I ended up doing was cursing that I'd wasted ½ a day.

Bugger, I used to be undecided, now I can't make up my mind. :-S

Archived