Dometic 'Fridge on Autogas

robin

I have nearly always filled up in the UK (like to have 100% propane on board). First fill was in Belgium & once on our travels filled up in Holland. I think I mentioned on this thread our Belgium dealer warned us off filling up in France said the gas was dirty & have met one couple who had to have the fridge serviced after running on French gas.

But there are thousands off French Motorhomes out there that run on French gas so could have been a one off instance and our dealers response may be due to the fact the Belgium's don't particularly like the French.

No decision to make for me the thought of lifting another gas cylinder with my back clinched it, or was it the dealer offered to throw them in for free on the deal. (lol)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have twice had a sooted up fridge chimney. Once was before we got Gaslow bottles when I had a Spanish Repsol bottle on - The (then) Electrolux dealer who sorted it said he saw the problem regularly with Repsol users as they added too much oil to their steel bottles.

The second time was 2 years after running on Gaslow and having refilled in many countries all over Europe.

We have now had the gaslows for about 7 years and that was the only problem. So would I have Gaslows again - too right I would as I still have a selection of Spanish, Portuguese and German bottles at the back of my garage from when we had to mess about having British and a choice from the rest depending on where we were going.

I am 6'3" and quite strong but have a slipped disk and no way am I going down the route of hauling about a variety of cylinders again.

Just go for it and then wonder what all the fuss was about afterwards.

By the way - I am told by a Dometic engineer that the "R" series of fridges did have a problem running on "Autogas" but they modified the burners and have not had the problem since so, again, go for it. If you only have room for 1 x 11kg bottle just keep topping up when you see a gas pump and be pleasantly surprised at how little it costs.

Note - I wouldn't buy a Gaslow system just to save money on gas as it would take a blooming long time to get your money back. BUT when it comes to ease of use, especially, if you are going to do a lot of continental touring - NO contest!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Many thanks for all that, yes it is for the sheer convenience of not having to swap and maul French bottles ( which we used to do ) then with our latest van using Calor Lites ( four of which we carry ) but even then always with the limitation of usage (as we mainly use Aires) for heating on chilly nights/mornings, now wanting to escape the UK even more a change of plan was essential. Sods law that we have an R series fridge that I know has been in the van since new in 2003, RM6361, and is an absolute pain to get at and service needing complete removal, but non the less I'm going to go with it, thanks for all the information. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-07-15 6:49 PM

Ours is an R series, RMT7655L now been running 5 years on autogas without a problem.

Fingers crossed then, thanks.

Archived