First motorhome - very nervous!! HELP!!

phantom

Hi

hubby and I have after a year of looking put a deposit down on a 1993 Elddis Autoquest 320D 2.5 diesel with power steering. This is our first motorhome and the first time I have driven anything bigger than a Polo.

Do any of you experienced people have any advice before we make any big mistakes? Quite concerned about the driving of a bigger vehicle, want to make sure the dealer is doing everything he should and I don't buy any expensive items I don't really need.

Appreciate any tips especially those that relate to shops, sites etc in Northern Ireland.

Thanks to all :-D

Guest caraprof

I took delivery of my first motorhome late last year and on the drive home it felt absolutely enormous! Now, a few months and three or four trips later I'm totally comfortable with it and drive it with confidence.

I would recommend that you consider a reversing camera. They make backing up a lot more stress free and save your partner jumping out in the pouring rain to shout instructions.

At this stage I would recommend that you don't buy any expensive items until you've had a chance to evaluate your usuage. There's no point in having solar panels for instance if you are happier using sites with electric hook up.

The one thing that I will recommend, if you haven't already got them, are a couple of bikes. These can be fitted on a rack on the rear of the 'van. There is no doubt that, whilst motorhomes are superb, their biggest drawback is limited parking in some towns and being able to stop a mile or two out, where it's easy to park and then cycling in, is a healthy and fun way to explore.

My wife and I have just invested in two electric bikes, which make hills a doddle and are great fun to ride.

So, take it slowly. Go away for a short trip and learn how everything works. Another way to learn is actually a forum like this. The members here, most of whom are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, are delighted to be able to help you and answer any questions that you may have.

Good luck - I'm sure that you are really going to enjoy your new lifestyle.

First obvious question - have you had a test drive in the proposed purchase and has that allayed your fears about driving a bigger vehicle? If it hasn't then I strongly suggest you ask for a longer test drive before comitting nto buy. Most people do not have a problem and settle down quite quickly, but not everyone does.

If you haven't had a test drive, then why on earth not? Go arrange one fast!

As for extras - don't bother until you've had the van for a while. It's been in use in its current state for several years, so is obviously adequately kitted out. And you need time and experience of use before you start worrying about add-ons. Any way this is now an old van, and you won't get your money back on such extras when you sell.

On Northern Ireland, I can't help you! But I hope all goes well and welcome to the fraternity - you will have fun!

Mel E

====

Just remember......... Always keep it tight the side you can see.

Watch out for bridges which shouldn't be a problem

Dont swing out to the right when turning left & vice versa

Never tail gate then you dont get into bother leave yourself enough room if you have to reverse.

Above all enjoy it and welcome ;-)

It's all true. The more you drive a motorhome, the "smaller" they become.

You could find a deserted large area early one sunday morning, ie industrial car park, and practise reversing, parking, etc.

You'll be fine !

Hi Phantom

Welcome to the world of motorhomes.

You will get used to the size of the vehicle - remember - everyone who ever drives any large vehicle had to do it for the first time too.

One accessory I would recommend before too long is a pair of levelling ramps. They are not too expensive and can be got from any caravan accessory shop. You will find that the van doesn't have to be dead level but many pitches that look level often need the help of these ramps. Main difficulty can be that some fridges are less tilt tolerant than others - and it also stops you sliding out of bed!!

Try not to worry too much about things - take your time and the knowledge will build up with every trip.

Good luck, David

They're much easier to drive than smaller vehicles. and you have a better view of the road layout.

Take your time and allow a greater distance when turning corners, and allow more distance when stopping.

Take some lessons from the truckers or large buses on using road space.

Gadgets, I occasionaly use a satelite navigator, thats all, it means you'll never get lost.

For reversing I use my brain. (up a drive and into a narrow space with an overhang and a 2inch gap). No problem.

Hi phantom

We used to have a Elddis Autoquest 320, around 18ft long, easy peasy! You'll soon get used to it and it has a nice large back window so give it a go, to make reversing easier, if there are two of you I'd suggest getting a pair of two-way radios, you can pick them up very cheaply and they make it much easier to relay instructions when you are trying to reverse when one is at the rear - saves a lot of funny arm movements!

Ramps is a very good suggestion, make sure the dealer gives you a full gas bottle as well as an electric hook-up lead. Other than that, get other bits and pieces, such as pans, crockery, cutlery etc from 'cheap' shops and charity shops, don't be tempted to buy it from motorhome accessory shops as they usual charge a premium.

Oh, I've sent you have a PM regarding Northern Ireland.

Mel B

Hi Phantom & welcome.

Like all before me have stated, just take it easy when you get the vehicle.Just treat it like a large car and give youself plenty of room.

One saying that may help is " Tyres & Tarmac". This is helpful when in a stationery queue. If you can see the both the tyres and the tarmac between you and the vehicle in front of you, then you've got room to manouver in case you have to.When driving along, get a point of reference on your vehicle where you know that is a safe distance from the nearside kerb.

The main thing, as everyone has said, you will get used to it, but mainly enjoy.

Do not just go out and buy everything as an extra,as you'll find out that you may not need it after all.

Just enjoy it and you'll soon wonder what all the fuss was about.

Let us know how you get on, any questions then come back to us, as we will be here to help in anyway we can.

Thai

Glad to hear you got sorted phantom - ignore my last PM !!

All good advice so far which I would agree with.

When reversing, get used to using your mirrors like the truckers do. It really helps. Just take it slowly at first.

i wouldn't buy too much gear right away. Waiting will deffo save you money.

For example, we don't have a TV in our van although the aerial is fitted which I find an embarrassment. You might find, like us, that reading and the radio is far better suited to the camping lifestyle. Each to their own though.

I'm campervanning since age 27, had 6 vans and never needed levelling wedges. Always seem to be able to pickc flat sites by eye and carry a tiny spirit level. You'll find your own methods over time. Brought up 3 camping children as well who still camp with us along with their partners. Seems it gets into the blood !!

Try sleeping in your driveway, then a night or two close-ish to home to get used to all the water, gas, waste, batteries, etc. It's all very easy but maybe a lot to learn.

As before, I think you have my mobile number in a PM if I can help. I know a little inside information about the two biggest dealers near Belfast.

Frank

Congratulations.

When you turn or right left use your wing mirrors to make sure that the back wheels are nearly up to the junction before you wind the steering wheel. If not you will run over the kerb with the back end and pedestrians can get stroppy when turning left in the UK or right in France.

Something of a cliche but I was always told 'K.I.S.S.' ''Keep it simple, stupid''. Welcome to the super world of motorhoming, do not get 'bogged down' with excessive gagetry .Let your growing experience tell you what you will need when the time is ripe. it is far easier to drive a 20' plus m'home than a 'smartcar'!!

Regards, Mike & Cherry.

If you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club you could have a look on their website at their motorhome manoevring courses. I did one at Newark last year. The guys taking the course were bus and coach driver instructors in their day jobs and they were very good. I found the course good fun and a great help. but you do have to be a Club member. DonB's other half.

Hi phantom, congratulations on your purchase. I am from N.Ireland and I have an Elddis Autoquest 130. You'll soon get used to the size so dont panic. Where did you buy the van? We got ours from Motorhome Ireland at Banbridge. There are some good sites here, so when you get the van give me a shout and I'll tell you where we go, although everyone is different and like different things.

We have used ours for day trips too, up the coast road to Portrush etc. and down to Newcastle. Both these places have good carparks to park in. Even went up to Antrim to sit by the lough shore and have our tea one evening!

Dont buy anything until you get the van and see what you need. If buying from a dealer ask for discount on any accessoris you are buying.

Hope this helps for starters.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul

Clive - 2007-07-23 11:24 PM

Congratulations.

When you turn or right left use your wing mirrors to make sure that the back wheels are nearly up to the junction before you wind the steering wheel. If not you will run over the kerb with the back end and pedestrians can get stroppy when turning left in the UK or right in France.

That is probably the best advice I've ever read that no-one has ever told me before, and I've been driving for nearly 35 years - thankyou Clive! (lol)

J9withdogs - 2007-07-25 6:30 PM

Congratulations.

That is probably the best advice I've ever read that no-one has ever told me before, and I've been driving for nearly 35 years - thankyou Clive! (lol)

Ye God's J9 .......have you been mounting kerb's for 35 years !!

hi we only got our first mh in march, like you we were very nervous. not actually with the driving as i have used vans for work for many years, but more pitching and hooking up on camp sites and what to do with the waste ect. but how first trip went pleasently smooth and after just four trips has got more comfortable each time. everybody is willing to help if needed. we have 3 small children and although our mh is 6 birth 7 metres in length the lack of space as been a problem. for our last trip we invested in a drive away awning and this i would recommend, again first time erecting abit nervous. you feel all eyes are on you, but once up maybe a hour or so very worth while, we are no longer under each others feet.

good luck all the best dean

bob b - 2007-07-25 6:47 PM

J9withdogs - 2007-07-25 6:30 PM

Congratulations.

Ye God's J9 .......have you been mounting kerb's for 35 years !!

Errm, no, only one, that is, at the end of my road, and it is rather acute *-)

phantom - 2007-07-23 6:14 PM

Do any of you experienced people have any advice before we make any big mistakes?

I read somewhere that most people buy three motorhomes before they get it right. If this is true - and I think it is - then surely the answer must be to get something that will not have depreciated too much when the time comes to sell.

Sometimes you see the advice "Hire before you buy". The logic is obvious, but I disagree, because when you hire the hirer is reponsible for fixing any problems, which shields you from things you need to know, e.g. the near-impossibility of getting anyone to work on (the caravan part of) your rig in summer.

Archived