What position do I use for battery/hookup switch please?

Angie Moss

What position do I need to put the battery switch when on hook up please. (1995 Swift Kontiki 640). There a 3 positions. 0 in the middle, right has picture of front end of the van and a lightning symbol, left has picture of back end of van.  Do I keep the switch to O when on hook up?  What are the other positions for? We are new to motorhoming, but feel very frustrated with the constant little niggling issues with our choice of van. Hope someone can help. Thanks

I am not a Kontiki owner, so my reply is subject to correction.

Here is what I would expect

Centre position "O",neither battery connected.

Pressing the front end symbol will connect the starter battery, which may then be charged from EHU.  Only use this position in emergency, particularly when not connected to EHU, as the starter battery will be discharged, and you may not be able to start the engine.

Pressing the rear end symbol will connect the habitation or "leisure" battery.  This is the normal on site position, and the 12V power should be supplied from the internal battery charger when connected to EHU.

I hope that is simple enough, but if in doubt ask again.

Alan

18 hours ago, Angie Moss said:

What position do I need to put the battery switch when on hook up please. (1995 Swift Kontiki 640). There a 3 positions. 0 in the middle, right has picture of front end of the van and a lightning symbol, left has picture of back end of van.  Do I keep the switch to O when on hook up?  What are the other positions for? We are new to motorhoming, but feel very frustrated with the constant little niggling issues with our choice of van. Hope someone can help. Thanks

What make/model of control  unit do you have? Is it a Zig?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums Angie.

A photo of the control-panel would be helpful, but I THINK a 1995 Swift Kon-Tiki 640 would have been fitted with a control-panel made by (and marked) "PLUG IN SYSTEMS".

Those panels came in several versions and this is a SWIFT-marked example. It has a 3-position switch (arrowed) that matches your description, except the drawings of the front and back ends of the motorhome are the other way round.

image.png.5c87100adcb219f090421cd5e473998e.png

The instructions for this panel are here

image.thumb.jpeg.9433ec0b0158ce1b618305b8525229ca.jpeg

Derek got in whilst I was looking for an old post.

Alan and his's posts are broadly correct, but I posted on a similar query about a contemporaneous Swift Royale some years ago, as per the attached.

Clicking on the following will reveal the response.

Unfortunately the links in that post are now "broken" but as the content says, the manuals confirmed the information I posted (which is largely, with a little more detail, what has already been replied).

For people new to motorhoming and who have obtained a 'vintage' model, it would be worth them obtaining a copy of the late-John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual".

For a 1995 motorhome, the original 1998 edition would be appropriate and copies of these are readily available on-line for very little outlay. The advert linked to below carries a £3.22 price-tag, but the book can be found advertised more cheaply (or a public library may be able to obtain a copy for free).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301971333337

It's perhaps worth saying that a snag with buying a 1990s motorhome in 2023 is that the vehicle will usually have had multiple  owners and any (or all!) of these may have DIY modified the vehicle's original specification during its lifespan. So (purely as an example), even if 1995 Swift Kon-Tiki 640's onboard battery-charger originally only charged the leisure-battery when on hook-up (as was usual with UK-built motorhomes in those days) it would have been a simple matter for an owner to have added the capability for the battery-charger to charge the starter-battery as well.