Beware - Parking in Penzance

Guest Roy Hamilton

Guest Roy Hamilton
I parked my Lunar Roadstar 720 in the Harbour Car Park in Penzance (Penwith District Council) on Friday 8/7 at 11.15am. This is a pay and display park and at the machine there is quite a myriad list of charges, the main emphisis on cars. I decided two hours at a £1.00 would be enough and since I was taking up two car spaces because of the 24ft length I put £2.00 in the machine and received a ticket showing the departure 2 hours hence and that I had paid £2.00. On my return at 12.30pm I had received a "warning" notice, issued at 11.30, which said that I had failed to pay the correct fee. The vehicle, they say, is classed as a "Commercial" and I should have paid as such. They were not on this occasion going to apply the £40.00 excess charge but the vehicle details had been recorded and any future infringement would be chargeable. I will contact them and see how they arrive at this classification and will post further about their reply. But in the mean time YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! and there are much prettier places to park in Cornwall where it won't cost you a penny. (I live in Cornwall, but not in Penwith, so I'm doubly annoyed at this discrimination against a sizeable group who contribute to the local economy).

........and if you had wanted to park and shop, or go to the beach for the day in France it would have cost you absolutely nothing at all, which is why we all go! (Well, apart from the sun and cheap wine, the food......)

Roy Yes the attendants/wardens at Penzance harbour car park are a bit "jobs-worth". The last time we parked our 30' RV there (in approx 4 bays!) we were okay but I can't remember the cost. I am, however, sure we didn't pay a commercial rate but this was in Sept 2002. Regards Neal

Archived