a cat living in a motorhome

soyyomick

Hi all

First time poster having a go. We are going long term touring soon and can't leave our aged cat behind, apart from the passport side of things

could anyone offer any advice, tips or personel experiences adapting a cat to a motorhome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mick

Hi Mick

I can't give you any first hand advice but I have seen cats in touring caravans. Usually they have a cage to live in and I've even seen one being taken for a short walk on a lead.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some advice from experience.

Carol

I met a lady in France I couldn't understand her she spoke French :D anyway there she was calling obviously for an animal ...The cat came back Hubby explained they take it everywhere she had a fly screen at the door it got out by mistake no problems . One guy travels with a parrot go for it. ;-)

We've seen many cats ( and other pets including a hen) in motorhomes and caravans in France. A couple we met at Le Mans last year take one of their four cats in the van and leave the rest at home because the travelling one beats up the other three if left at home! He had a cage for travelling in, a lead for when on site with a large peg, and his own fan in case the weather got hot while he was on his own in the van. He was very happy. Don't know about taking our cat with us, he's very set in his ways although not old. Don B's other half

Hi Mick Our cat has been round Europe with us for the last 7 years without and problems. We keep a litter tray up top and change it everyday and get no smells or mess. May get the kitty litter raining down when he is doing a good tidy up. I take him out on a lead when it is quiet so he can do some smelling, he loves most of all to sniff the bottom panels on his own motorhome. Once in the 7 years he slipped his lead, well I lost grip at midnight after a drink or 2 with friends. A black cat on a dark site is impossible to find and we were more than upset. He turned up about an hour later wandering what the fuss was about.

He seems to enjoy laying down between the front seats, could be the ventilation? The best thing we bought was a strong material pet carrier used mainly for dogs. He gets in it himself when we get on a site and I pop him outside while we get organised. It is handy too fro the vets and passport control. Look at the extra small from www.dog-bag.co.uk

Take care Vicwo

soyyomick - 2007-07-24 6:28 PM

Hi all

First time poster having a go. We are going long term touring soon and can't leave our aged cat behind, apart from the passport side of things

could anyone offer any advice, tips or personel experiences adapting a cat to a motorhome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mick

We have dogs, not cats, but the principles are pretty much the same to get your pet used to your camper etc.

We used used to take 3 dogs away with us, the eldest lady being 16 when she started going abroad! I note that your cat is 'aged' so one thing you'll have to make some allowance for is to make sure that you give the cat some 'quiet time'. We found with our dog if she didn't get a good rest each day she was an absolute b*tch to live with, literally! We used to pop her up on our fixed bed out of the way of the other dogs so she could have a good snooze in comfort and not be disturbed (we also knew that that way she wouldn't bite their heads of either if she woke up confused!).

When we got our last dog she had been abused for the first year of her life then in kennels for 6 months and was an absolute wreck. We started taking her with us in the motorhome on little trips to get her used to travelling, making sure she had her favourite toys, bed, food etc with her to keep her as content as possible. We gradually went for longer trips, and stayed overnight for one night, then two etc, to build up gradually and let her get used to life in the van generally, making sure she got out and about to places she could enjoy without being frightened or worried made it much more pleasurable for her.

If you cat isn't used to a harness, start off gradually by letting her (?) play with it first, then putting it in her bed and with her toys etc so it isn't a strange piece of aperatus. She'll then get her 'smell' on it and you can try putting in on her gradually, just the bit over the head at first, without fastening it, so she can get it off if she's frightened, then put it over her body, eventually leading up to fastening it loosely, you can then progress to a lead along the same lines, slowly and gently. To get her to walk with the harness and lead, put some favourite treats in a line and walk her along them, eventually she'll ignore the harness and enjoy the food! Let her get used to this and when you get the harness out she'll associated it with food and treats and let you put it on her without a problem as she knows it means something good. You can then use the 'walking the food line' to get her to go outside with the harness on. It's all about making it fun and pleasant for your cat. If she only associates it with nice things then she'll gladly let you use it. Same goes for a cage, start using it in the house and put her toys in it, then food etc, and then her bed. This wil take some time, don't rush it, do it gradually and you shouldn't have a problem. You can then graduate to the camper with the harness and/or cage, getting her used to the camper and travelling in the same way as you've got her used to the harness and cage, by putting favourite things in it, food etc, you'll soon be able to go off on your extended trip.

Patience is the key - never ever force your cat to put the harness on or go in the cage, or motorhome, once you've made them unhappy with something it takes a lot of time for them to get back to where they were.

Enjoy your travels!

:-S

We met a couple in a motorhome with a Parrot in Australia. The Parot was not on a lead or tied up in any way. It was free to walk and fly about but returned voluntarilly to a cage in the MH at bedtime. The Parots favourite place was the womans shoulder.

Cats - I love them but they break your heart. I have observed that people who travel regularly with a kitten end up with a cat that likes to go for a ride and is comfortable with a nomadic existance. However taking an elderly moggie for a ride may be a bit traumatic for one used to home comforts and routine.

It will most likely think its going to the vets!

However the cat must have its own place in the MH. Examples I have seen have only been 50% on long leads, the others let the cats come and go as they please, seldom did they go far as the MH provided sanctuary.

Parot.jpg.a1fd3821670169f007951f8dd7325570.jpg

Hi ,

I had a lovely Cat-who is now with the Angels purring away!! I,m sure Toffee was the first cat to have the Pet Passport,which was fantastic,as he no longer had to go to the Cattery.He spent 3 Winters in Spain,and also 1 Summer in Greece. Travelling-he was happy to lie on a Blanket in the Luton,and on Site,either sitting in the doorwell inside the fly-screen,looking out. He had a Litter Tray in the Van when travelling and at night-no problems,and on site he would be on a Lead with the Litter Tray just outside the Van,and his food always inside the Van,which would encourage him to go inside when hungry!!He often slipped the lead,which saw us in a Panic,but normally he would just lie under the Van in the shade,and dive in the Van when hungry.Just go for it and enjoy having the love of your cat with you,it will certainly make your holiday.Hope this will be of comfort to you.

Hi All

Thanks for all of your comments, We think we have the help we were looking for. We can't believe the amount of response. One more question please, does anyone have any experience of buying cat food abroad. Do they sell the usual Felix, Whiskas etc. or did your cats adapt to local brands?

If we think of anything else we now know who to ask!!!

Again many thanks

Archived