Wireless internet

nigelmgpp

Help again please, this may have been on a thread before but can someone help with find how to get on the internet on the continent wirelessly as I am off to the South France in September.

Hoping to take my laptop so I can talk to the kids.

Guest caraprof

First questions are, does your laptop have wi-fi built-in and how do you hope to connect to the web?

Unless you drive into a residential area and piggy-back off some householder who's been daft enough not to password his system, you'll have two main choices.

The first is to connect via your cellphone, but this will be mega expensive. The second is to use campsites that have wi-fi but they generally charge you to use it.

When you say 'talk to the kids' do you literally mean it? Presumably you're considering a VOIP application such as Skype?

If you are happy to keep in touch with regular emails I would recommend the simplest method, which is popping in to an Internet cafe every couple of days. You'll be amazed how many of these there are and in some towns you can get free Internet access at the tourist bureau.

My average visit to an Internet cafe this summer cost either one or two Euro for between thirty minutes and an hour.

I nearly always use internet cafes, the only problem I have is that I do not feel it is safe to do any banking transactions in them due to the many people that use the computers and some systems are not encrypted for security. Also you sometimes get someone stood up with their partner and they can see many screens.

Ideal for e.mails and messenger.

I am currently trying to get details for Mc.Donalds as most of them have wi- fi both in the UK and France. If any one else can tell us how to do this, please let us know.

Clive.

Thanks Nigel for starting this thread, I could also do with some advice on using WiFi on sites and any help from the Forum Members would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell laptop with pre-installed Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.

On a site recently that had a WiFi "hot spot" I paid my couple of pounds and received the password, then on the laptop I could see that I had a reasonably strong link, but whenever I tried to open IE all I got was the page prompting me for my password for ADSL connection.

After messing about for quite a while I kept getting the prompt - "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another programme to manage the wireless connection, use this software".

I'm probably doing something really stupid or missing something that is fairly simple but for the life of me I cannot work this out. 

Would the laptop not accept the password they give you and what did they say where you paid? I have a Dell the same and these are the syptoms I got outside a McDonalds in France. Not being able to speak French fluently I left the enquiries till I got back to the UK.

It sounds like the laptop is ok. You just need the code.

Clive.

coach2000 - 2007-07-24 10:09 PM Would the laptop not accept the password they give you and what did they say where you paid? I have a Dell the same and these are the syptoms I got outside a McDonalds in France. Not being able to speak French fluently I left the enquiries till I got back to the UK. It sounds like the laptop is ok. You just need the code. Clive.

Hi Clive,

The laptop accepted the password and when I opened the Dell Card Utility, the link status was strong and I could see that I was sending "packets" of information. The problem was that it just wouldn't let me open IE without prompting for the ADSL password.

nigelmgpp - 2007-07-24 7:49 PM

Help again please, this may have been on a thread before but can someone help with find how to get on the internet on the continent wirelessly as I am off to the South France in September.

Hoping to take my laptop so I can talk to the kids.

Hello Nigel,

Cannot speak for S France but Internet research well ahead of trip should enable you to find perhaps more civilised places than the likes of Mcdonalds or Internet cafes.

Ahead of my 6-8 week tour of Scotland starting in September I have spent the last couple of months or more establishing Hotels, Public Houses/Inns and Shooting and Fishing Lodges in some of the most remote areas. I now have a list of welcoming establishments who, on the purchase of a meal and a few jars or drams offer free wi-fi availability also the facility of overnighting on their parking areas. A most welcoming bunch of people.

All their return emails are filed for reference while on the tour.

You have the time, start detailed researching now.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Clive and everybody

My laptop is Wi-Fi ready and when I was in France & Germany there were some hotspots that I needed to understand French or German, but as I did not learn them at school.I have been on the web sites on the net and found a firm call: Trustive Hotspots- Wi-Fi company and had a look at them after writing this thread, but did not have time to sort anything out about it.

I will let you know when I next get on the site how I get on or if somebody else gets there before me would be nice to see how they got on.

Getting back to France I got a connection but needed a password someting else as well

All the best

Nigel

If you have WiFi at home use the programme that you usualy use Ie BT WiFi . Some laptops such as Toshiba already have a WiFi conection programme .

When we where in Chamonix we used the BT software programme that was installed when we set up the computer for home and that showed the available networks at Chamonix including giving you the option to connect.

Bazza454 - 2007-07-24 10:18 PM
coach2000 - 2007-07-24 10:09 PM Would the laptop not accept the password they give you and what did they say where you paid? I have a Dell the same and these are the syptoms I got outside a McDonalds in France. Not being able to speak French fluently I left the enquiries till I got back to the UK. It sounds like the laptop is ok. You just need the code. Clive.

Hi Clive,

The laptop accepted the password and when I opened the Dell Card Utility, the link status was strong and I could see that I was sending "packets" of information. The problem was that it just wouldn't let me open IE without prompting for the ADSL password.

if you have Outlook Not Outlook express that may allow you to circum navigate this.

Guest caraprof
sax - 2007-07-24 10:39 PM
nigelmgpp - 2007-07-24 7:49 PM Help again please, this may have been on a thread before but can someone help with find how to get on the internet on the continent wirelessly as I am off to the South France in September. Hoping to take my laptop so I can talk to the kids.
Hello Nigel, Cannot speak for S France but Internet research well ahead of trip should enable you to find perhaps more civilised places than the likes of Mcdonalds or Internet cafes. Ahead of my 6-8 week tour of Scotland starting in September I have spent the last couple of months or more establishing Hotels, Public Houses/Inns and Shooting and Fishing Lodges in some of the most remote areas. I now have a list of welcoming establishments who, on the purchase of a meal and a few jars or drams offer free wi-fi availability also the facility of overnighting on their parking areas. A most welcoming bunch of people. All their return emails are filed for reference while on the tour. You have the time, start detailed researching now. Mike

Mmmmm! Great idea, you spend twenty quid on a meal and a 'few drams' and you get 'free' wi-fi. And of course you can double this cost for two of you!

Thank you, but when in the UK I'll download my emails using my cellphone, or if there is an Internet cafe handy I may use that.

When abroad, which is where most of the contributors are talking about, nothing beats an Internet cafe. I usually pay one or two Euro for up to 30 mins or an hour.

The odd camp site that I've stayed on has charged more than that for a daily wi-fi connection, which is fine if you want to go online for some time but when on holiday I'm mainly interested in just email.

I also prefer to be spontaneous and there's not much point in spending hours researching hotels and restaurants etc. because we usually have no idea where we're going until we get there.

Still, each to his own and if that's what turns you on!

Frank,

Not having been able to get away for a holiday for over 30 years my budget for this one is probably far, far higher than average.

Both just retired and intend to really splash out for a couple of months. Next year will be different.

That is what turns me on this year!

Mike

Guest caraprof
sax - 2007-07-25 9:26 PM Frank, Not having been able to get away for a holiday for over 30 years my budget for this one is probably far, far higher than average. Both just retired and intend to really splash out for a couple of months. Next year will be different. That is what turns me on this year! Mike

I'm actually very envious. Such is my life that I cannot get away for more than three weeks!

Have a great trip but don't write off the old Internet cafes. Some of them are warm and welcoming places and actually serve coffee and snacks as well.

I bought a laptop recently and asked the shop about the internet and explained that my brother uses his all over the world just by switching on and finding a wireless site available. They said that what my brother was doing is strictly illegal but will work but if you open up your bank account the other people have access to it. So perhapsd I will only use it to find out the score of the Super Seagulls matches if I am abroad when they are playing.

caraprof - 2007-07-25 9:33 PM
sax - 2007-07-25 9:26 PM Frank, Not having been able to get away for a holiday for over 30 years my budget for this one is probably far, far higher than average. Both just retired and intend to really splash out for a couple of months. Next year will be different. That is what turns me on this year! Mike

I'm actually very envious. Such is my life that I cannot get away for more than three weeks!

Have a great trip but don't write off the old Internet cafes. Some of them are warm and welcoming places and actually serve coffee and snacks as well.

Frank,Having followed your threads and posts avidly since finding these forums I am aware of your situation and believe that you will never truly retire.Our situation is that with no progeny and two modest inheritances recently available, plus savings we are now to take our chances on the road. I shall never get over the Channel. There is so much of this country that I want to visit and research. History and good food/ale are dear to me. With my mobility decreasing by the year I must not lose time. I am still four years short of any pension and do draw any benefits.I realise that my hopes are far different to those of you other well travelled people and do sometimes envy your travels which are well recorded and read avidly.As for the rather extravagant trip coming up, after living it up in the mid Highlands for a couple of weeks I do not expect Macdonalds and Internet cafes in Cape Wrath or the wilder areas of Sutherland or Caithness. My only need of wifi access is to keep track of the rest of this wonderful community on the MH Forums. At the moment I fill my evenings researching the history and geography (along with the gastronomic delights) of the west coast, inner Hebrides and the real highlands and wild places. Have found a site called 'wild-fishing-scotland), a lovely friendly bunch of locals who have advised me on where to go for the best trout fishing available, wifi access etc, etc. TV holds very little interest for me these days. Library/internet fill my time now.The rest of you, please enjoy yourselves as I shall be somewhat further north and probably in inclemement weather. Try and have a good season.Mike

sax - 2007-07-25 11:31 PM
caraprof - 2007-07-25 9:33 PM

Frank,Having followed your threads and posts avidly since finding these forums I am aware of your situation and believe that you will never truly retire.Our situation is that with no progeny and two modest inheritances recently available, plus savings we are now to take our chances on the road. I shall never get over the Channel. There is so much of this country that I want to visit and research. History and good food/ale are dear to me. With my mobility decreasing by the year I must not lose time. I am still four years short of any pension and do draw any benefits.I realise that my hopes are far different to those of you other well travelled people and do sometimes envy your travels which are well recorded and read avidly.As for the rather extravagant trip coming up, after living it up in the mid Highlands for a couple of weeks I do not expect Macdonalds and Internet cafes in Cape Wrath or the wilder areas of Sutherland or Caithness. My only need of wifi access is to keep track of the rest of this wonderful community on the MH Forums. At the moment I fill my evenings researching the history and geography (along with the gastronomic delights) of the west coast, inner Hebrides and the real highlands and wild places. Have found a site called 'wild-fishing-scotland), a lovely friendly bunch of locals who have advised me on where to go for the best trout fishing available, wifi access etc, etc. TV holds very little interest for me these days. Library/internet fill my time now.The rest of you, please enjoy yourselves as I shall be somewhat further north and probably in inclemement weather. Try and have a good season.Mike
the OH tends to do his research after the event - so our diaries are full of'must visit such an such a place - just 2 miles beyond turn over to whatever that we took to avoid traffic jam'I do plead with him to do this before rather than after - but I think it's a losing battle.His unce was the complete opposite - did loads of research before they went [pre Internet I hasten to add] and drew up a proposed itinerary before they left - took it and a large pinch of salt with them when they went - then wrote up actual itinerary when they got back and compared the two.On balance - between the proposed and actual they actually managed to cover most of the best bits in the area.I swear he enjoyed the research at least as much as the actual holidya - all that was missing was the smells and tastesa happy man and flexible B-)

caraprof - 2007-07-25 5:18 PM
sax - 2007-07-24 10:39 PM
nigelmgpp - 2007-07-24 7:49 PM When abroad, which is where most of the contributors are talking about, nothing beats an Internet cafe. I usually pay one or two Euro for up to 30 mins or an hour.QUOTE]This is coming to you from Camping Los Pinos in Denia, Spain, where I am paying €4/WEEK for hotspot access. Before that I was at Armacao de Pera, Portugal, where the Internet cafe charged €3/HOUR. Plus a whole lot more if you wanted to do something as daring as put a floppy in their drive.At Camping Vinaros, also in Spain [and probably the best campsite on the planet], the hotspot is FREE to anybody who is renting a pitch.

Archived