Eating in France - expensive now?

Mel E

Recently back from a short trip to France where one of the delights has always been sampling French cooking.

We ate out a couple of times at the local village restaurants near camp sites. We chose the mid-price set menu which, these days, seems to be 30 to 35 Euros. Add a bottle of wine - and I don't but expensive wines in restaurants, because they are never opened in time to breathe properly - and the bill comes to 100 Euros plus.

Just got the Credit Card bill and it's £65 and £75 for the meals. Don't get me wrong - they were excellent and well worth the price.

But it's no longer much cheaper than a similar quality of restaurant in the UK - and it used to be a lot cheaper.

It's the Euro effect, of course! What's your experience?

Mel E

====

Vendee prices were dearer this year but in the Landes region about 11 eurines average for steak ; salads with chips ; mussells/chips. Pizzas 4-10 eurines dependent on toppings. I usually ask for a jug of wine from the barrel if poss. Did notice that not many people there this year and got asked several times where everybody was - perhaps they believed the nutter who said on BBC that this was going to be a record hot year in England. Yeah yeah.

Alec

Mel - I haven't noticed much difference earlier this month in the Loire. Mind you, we are pehaps a tad less 'up-market', opting for menu's at less than 20E. This equates to an extremely pleasant 3 course meal for two with wine and coffee for less than £40. Compare this to a Pizza Express two course meal in the UK for the around the same price - hmmmmm.

Also

Supermarket prices are still much cheaper than U.K. - so self catering much cheaper. (we stock up on loads of staples before coming home - ranging from coffee to mayonnaise)

Slight off thread - but we also stayed on three campsites, as these tend to me be more pleasant in the summer (even thsi summer *-)) than some of the Aires, guaranteed space for awnings etc. They were between 8 and 11 Euros (Chaumont sur Loire, Chartres, Vendome) in July - try finding that in the UK - I admit we didn't have electricity, but then I don't want it and generally have to pay for it in the UK. The last CCC site we stayed on at Eatsre was nearly £17 for the night - yikes...

Just back from France too, and yes it seemed expensive to us. We travelled the full length twice, (down from Calais to Spain and back a different way), and the prices were up from when were last in France, albeit not in a van. The supermarkets too we found not to different than here. Perhaps they need ASDA and Tesco to take on Carrefoure and Leclerc!

Didn't eat out much apart from moulles and frites! They varied from 8.5 Euros to 14 Euros in a posh eatery.

A chap in a wine shop told us because of the weather, crap like ours, the grape harvest might fail. Apparently it has been so wet the vines have got mould and canker and they are having to be ploughed in and re planted. It will take hot dry weather from now to October to save the 2007 vintage. I wasn't too upset as I don't drink but some in the shop seemed very concerned. Viva Perrier!!

Hi Mel

That ties in with our impressions - prices very similar to ours now (supermarkets too) - although if you're lucky you can still come across a small family run business providing something very special and real value. Across the board however I think our "eateries" are every bit as good as the frogs - but both pricey when you factor in the booze

As a caffeine addict there's no doubt they beat us on the coffee front even their vending machines produce a better brew than the bucket of gunk served up at our m/way services and much cheaper.

Come to think about it - wish I was there now.

Vernon

From our experience the prices are on a par with the UK but the quality of food is better in France.

We usually aim for 20 to 30 euro set menus, although we find that two courses from the A la carte menu is sufficient.

Usually my request for something other than frites is met with an alternative.

We visit Argeles sur Mer district quite often and have found that the prices / quality is very good because there are a great many resturants vying for trade.

The quality goes down mid season because the number / quanity that is served is very high.

Any resturants in an area that has a captive market will over charge.

Rgds

Certainly not expensive where we are. We landed up at a campsite in the Morbihan in Brittany by chance in March and liked the village so much we have settled here for good - yup, buying a house - the full Monty.

In our village (Loyat) we regularly enjoy a three course 11 euro lunch, this includes a bottle of water, a bottle of passable wine or a bottle of cider and of course bread. This price is not unusual, have even had a 12 euro 5 course lunch - including a caraf of wine at Les Forges. However, at that sort of price it's usually a Plat de Jour - take it or leave it!

General Rules for Inexpensive Nosh:

a) Eat at lunchtime (sleep it off in the afternoon), usualy between 12 and 2 pm.

b) If you are on a budget choose a place with a board outside offering e.g. an 11 Euro menu.

c) Don't be put off if the place looks scruffy, you will probably be pleasantly suprised by the food.

d) Don't go elsewhere if there are a lot of vehicles parked outside, particularly tradesman's vans & lorries, it is a great way of judging the good value you will receive. They WILL serve you, and quickly, that is how they get so many 'regulars' who are usually local workers.

e) If you dine in an hotel you may find that wine isn't included & you have to chose from the wine list, you will often find it expensive compared to the price of your meal.

f) If the wine is included in a low-cost menu, don't drain the bottle. Do as the locals do and drink just enough to aid the digestion, it's considered bad manners otherwise.

As far as supermarkets go, I think it's swings & roundabouts accross the board, with some things cheaper - others not. However if you are on your hols you will doubtless appreciate the particular delights of all things alcoholic and the yummy cheeses. Bread is cheap in the supermarkets but not as good as that bought from the boulangerie. Some weekly markets can be a disappointment - many traders have caught on to the tourists, especially if you are in one of those lovely, quaint old French towns. So you either get a bargain in a rather dull and down-to-earth town or watch that you aren't paying inflated prices by going somewhere lovely but on the tourist trail.

Really, if you are on hols, you probably want a bit more glamour than you will get in the Bargain Basement. I'm sure I would. But, believe me, inexpensive meals and reasonably-priced food-shopping is still out there, you just have to follow the locals!

Bon appetit!

Vixter

Congratulations Vixter! We saw a couple of houses for sale when we were there last year and we thought at the time that it would be a really nice place to live. We stayed at Camping Merlin l'Enchanteur, on our way to southern Brittany. I've still got the Chateau Josselin as the background picture on my computer.

John.

From our last trip , two weeks back, have to agree with Mel E, we found eating out prices much higher than even a year ago. You can still get some bargain 11 Euro menu's but they are what they are and not a lot of it.

I have never thought that the supermarkets were that good on price with the exception of the two evils and used to always wonder how you could eat out cheaper than you could buy and make yourself.

I suppose that the French are now equalising to our prices seeing as petrol is now a lot dearer than ours and diesel is not so far behind as it was, clothes always were dearer and food is not such a good deal over there now. With all the Brits buying out there the housing market has lept in price and the Tax regime is and always was dearer than ours.

But we still like to visit and will until our current passports run out!!

Bas

Thanks John. Camping Merlin l'Enchanteur was the campsite where we spent three very happy months before moving to our new home just a few minutes walk away. I cannot recommend the site highly enough, and in a beautiful location.

If anyone is interested www.campingmerlin.com will give you full details, or send me a PM.

Josselin is indeed a fascinating place to visit, & the chateau is stunning.

Vixter

We spend about half our year in France and, like Vixter, we fell in love with a place and bought a flat there - Port-Vendres on the Mediterannean coast, 15 miles from the Spanish border. Even down there, on the Med, you can still get an excellent 3 course meal at lunch time for 11€, plus very drinkable carafe wines for 10€/L. This is the same price as for the last couple of years. We still enjoy touring round France - we came home in June - and we haven't noticed any great change. Most places still offer the lunchtime 3 course menu for 10€ - 12€. Evening menus seem to start at around 20€ We have found that the quality of the food is inversely proportional to the decor! Where possible we try to shop in the local markets, particularly for fruit and vegetables. In the "hard discount" supermarkets such as Lidl and Ed the meat prices are lower than the likes of LeClerc and Carrefour and the quality just as good - cheaper than Tescos. Their fruit and vegetables seem to be fresher than the ordinary supermarkets. In general the price of fruit and vegetables at the markets or local greengrocers is a lot less than here. You also find a lot more people sellling seasonal produce at the roadside, at bargain basement prices. The secret is to avoid the tourist hotspots - and this might mean no more than looking in the street parrellel to the "popular" street. We can't afford to eat out in England - we would rather save the money and spend it in France. Similarly with diesel - definately not the same price as the UK. Around 0.98€ in France in June, compared to 95p in the UK - both supermarket prices.

Brian

BrianR - 2007-07-27 11:51 AM

Similarly with diesel - definately not the same price as the UK. Around 0.98€ in France in June, compared to 95p in the UK - both supermarket prices.

Brian

I would agree that Diesel alone is cheaper than UK fuel, i.e. not petrol, but whilst I accept that you may have found somewhere selling at the price you quote I do not believe that it is general as we also have only just returned from travelling all round France (two weeks ago), over 2000 miles and the best French price we found was just over the Euro at 1.02 Euro. We had seen it as much as 1.15 Euro, but whilst £0.68/ litre (1.02 Euro/ litre @1Euro +£0.66) is cheaper than UK, we currently are paying £0.89p/ litre at our local Tesco, the price differential at only £0.21 difference is not as great as it was, I can remember only a couple of years back it was nearly 50% cheaper.

The only place we found Diesel at that price was in Belgium at 0.99 Euro/ litre, though other posters found it as cheap, or cheaper, in Luxembourg.

At the end of the day I believe Mel E is accurate in what he is saying , French prices are on the up and there is now becoming little to chose between French prices and ours.

Bas

There are various points running on this thread and alas I have yet to find an accurate one.The very first posting referred to an expensive meal within walking distance of a campsite.Restaurant owners are not stupid and they know where their customers are coming from so of prices in such a location will be expensive.

Eating out will always be expensive in the evenings particulary in holiday areas as again the restaurant owners know that their client base will largely be visitors from other countries.

Eating at midday at something like a Les Routiers will be in the region of 11€.Our local one charges that for a buffet starter where you can visit the counter as often as you wish.At times this will include oysters.For that price we have 4 courses including 2 bottles of wine.The one I refer to is Le Sapin Vert on the D769 at L'Enfer 5 miles North of L'Orient.

Fuel prices have gone up recently.I cannot comment on petrol but diesel is way cheaper than the UK.

As Vixter has said don't do the tourist thing and certainly do not eat at the supermarkets.

Just to include some balance the French are very perochial in their diet.Indian restaurants are like hens teeth and I have never found a Chinese although there is a smattering of Vietnamese.The UK is far more global in its cuisine.

We have lived here for 2 years and can certainly say the cost of living has not altered noticibly.

If summer ever returns come over and use the aires and have a great time

We have just got back .two weeks ago .found food up in price from last year but still worth it

,France is still cheaper than uk for camping ,

Only problem is the dread height barrier they seem to be every were now .camping cars park

Out of town don’t want us parking on sea front now,

Airs cost from $2 to $ 7 all on sea front . Site at honflaire cost $20

back in sept.

AW,

Whilst I accept what you say about eating out at lunchtime, and cheapness of Relais, I too, like the restauranters, am not stupid. If you read my initial post, I was simply trying to compare like with like - not English top notch with French lorry driver meals - which I have had and are often very good.

The restaurant we ate at was in the centre of a small town with a single camp site on the outskirts. Over half of the clientele were locals, not campers. The town has one other restaurant (very up market and closed Mondays) and a Bistro serving mainly pizza and steak-frites. This experience was common at other towns.

Yes their cheapest 'menu fixe' was about 25 Euros - but it wasn't especially interesting. We had the mid-price one and there was a top notch one at 45 Euros.

All I'm trying to say, is that these 'menu fixe' prices have edged up considerablyover the last 5 years, especially in the evening. Yes, I can eat cheaper at lunchtime, but, comparing like with like, eating at lunchtime is also much cheaper in the UK.

Mel E

====

Tomo3090 - 2007-07-26 4:49 PM

A chap in a wine shop told us because of the weather, crap like ours, the grape harvest might fail. Apparently it has been so wet the vines have got mould and canker and they are having to be ploughed in and re planted.

Yes, the grape crop won't like all this wet - but if August through October are dry and sunny, you'll be surprised how well they do. We've had similar conditions recently (2001 I think) and the vintage wasn't that bad.

As for ploughing in vines, NEVER! You've been mislead. Cartainly they may abandon the crop and prune them right back early. But it takes years from planting a vine before it becomes usefully productive for wine making. The root stock of the best Bordeaux vintage wines are well over a hundred years old, being mainly Californian from the era when the disease phylloxera hit European vines and killed large swathes.

Mel E

====

Meals in France?  Last year, September and October, we toured around France.  We ate out 6 times, 5 times at lunch time and once at dinner time.  Average cost in £ per meal, three courses, fixed price menu, for two, with wine and bottled water?  £42.  A month back we had a three course meal in a gastropub near where we live.  Similar meal, for two, with wine.  Price £60 for three courses.  Good meal, slightly amateur service, pleasant surroundings and reasonably priced wine.  You'd get the same in France, in a rural village, for at least 20% less though.  But that may be just our local prices.

The French meals worked out to be more expensive than previously mainly because we ate twice in Beaune, and Beaune caters for the "carriage trade", and once in Obernai in Alsace, and Alsace tends to be pricey too.  Oddly, our cheapest meal was at lunchtime in an estaminet in Strasbourg.

All I'd add is that if you discount the steak frites places, which can't really be counted as restaurants, and compare the whole package with a similar type place - at least in this part of the UK - France overall remains better value.  

Service is more polished and professional, and the waiters know what they are serving and generally look around to check tables as they move about. 

The meals are generally better balanced, though a bit short on green vegetables for our tastes.  What I mean by that is that each main course tends to have its individual selection of vegetable, rather than the same veg being put out with everything, which seems to be a UK trend.

You are seldom asked to choose your sweet course before you've finished your main.  I never can, and being asked to do so irritates me!

The bread, the wine and water (and sometimes the amuse bouche!) almost invariably arrive before the starters.  In UK I've too often had to ask for it/them.

The wine waiter almost always sniffs the cork before pouring the taster (though the one in Obernai didn't, but changed the wine when I asked for the cork, so we won't go there again!).

Oh, and you have to allow about 60 - 90 minutes for the meal, which is a good sign because it is being cooked to order and not fished from a bain marie or stuffed in a microwave.

Where do these places come from?  The Michelin red guide (hotels and restaurants), from which we've had more memorable meals than I can remember.  Many in completely out of the way places, with extraordinary food on offer at amazing prices, that you'd never find on your own.  Many have just been the "Bib Gourmand" selection in quite grand places catering for lunchtime trade at preferential prices, usually weekdays only.  Some have been at Sunday lunchtimes, with the place heaving with riotous French family gatherings.  Quite a few have been at Logis, though Logis are not of themselves a surefire guarantee of good food.  Some have been in small cafes with the local road gangs, one was in the Fauve splendour of the Brasserie Flo in Paris.  We've hardly ever had a bummer from Michelin, and I can't think of a single occasion when we felt the value had been poor relative to what we'd actually paid.  We have had a couple of very indifferent meals at Relais Routiers places though, and a few others that were real rubbish, but these were Hobson's choice decisions and not from the Michelin.  When French food bombs, boy does it bomb!

Archived