Inexpensive LEDs

Vernon B

I guess like others I've been tempted to install some LED spot and down lights in order to reduce power usage when not on hook-up and prevent those red patches appearing on my bald head following a session under the halogens. As yet I haven't found exactly what I've been looking for.

However, while poodling around in an accessory shop the other day I came across a range of LED torches and lights I haven't seen before - all from our friends in China. Amongst these was a LED down-light. The unit looks like a toy UFO. It's 145mm in diameter (about 6 inches in old money) and has two rows of LEDs around its circumference. 24 in the outer ring and 12 in the inner. It's made of plastic with a satin/alloy finish that blends in well with contemporary motorhome fittings and retails at £5.99. The LEDs are counter sunk into the moulding and thereby benefit from some reflective light.

The thing is it's battery powered (4xAA) and is intended for camping. It can be attached to surfaces by utilising two magnets moulded into the back but I've used velcro to attach to the ceiling above the cab seats.

Pressing the push button lets you toggle between "off"- "one illuminated ring" - "two illuminated rings". It provides a pleasant "white" light somewhere between "bright" and "warm" and there's plenty of it to illuminate the cab area.

This isn't a top quality unit (you get's what you pay for) and I've seen much better mouldings but it is CE approved and doesn't appear out of place in the 'van. Unfortunately it isn't branded being simply called a "LED Camping Light". It claims you'll get 30 hours life from the batteries and 100,000 hours life from the LEDs.

As an inexpensive, versatile and effective LED, this little unit seems to be a good way of evaluating the technology while waiting for more sophisticated products to come to market. And since no wiring is involved you can place it in a variety of positions in order to decide optimum locations. My immediate reaction is buy another couple for evaluation purposes.

The shop I used doesn't have a website or do mail order but I'm sure you'll come across these units if you keep your eyes open.

Vernon

Derek Uzzell - 2007-07-26 7:06 PM

Vernon:

If you use the forum's SEARCH facility with Keywords set to "LED spotlights" (omitting the quotes) and Date Limits set to 'All posts' you'll come across previous comments on LED lighting that you might find useful.

Thanks Derek. It was your excellent piece in that previous thread that got me into LEDs. However when looking around for units for my particular 'van I couldn't find anything that really satisfied my needs. In particular it isn't possible to simply replace bulbs in my spot lights and the majority of offerings on the market at present mostly come with "bright white" light. I was therefore prepared to wait a while for new products to become available as they doubtless will. I'm sure these little units will be usefull in the meantime.

Vernon

Vernon B - 2007-07-26 4:24 PM

The shop I used doesn't have a website or do mail order but I'm sure you'll come across these units if you keep your eyes open.

Vernon

Come on Vernon: at least tell us what it's called and where it is!

Bill:

The Lord (and GOOGLE) helps those who help themselves.

The product (as Vernon said) is called "LED Camping Light" and I'm 99.9% sure from his description (I've counted the number of LEDs!!) that the following link refers to it:

http://www.a1leisuredirect.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=491

Vernon:

Does this thing provide enough light to read comfortably by, please, if (say) it were positioned about a foot above one's head? My Hobby has swivelling cab seats but no reading-lights directly above them. I've been toying with the idea of insetting a couple of LED downlighters into the Ford plastic moulding above the seats, but (like you) I've yet to find something that exactly meets my requirements.

I recently installed a couple of extra LED spotlights for the very reason Derek mentioned. I used CAK tanks product LAPLO1 (p63), which are flush mount and multi adjustable. They also have a built in switch. As they flush mount there's no need to cut large diameter holes in the receiving panel.

They're quoted as 0.36w but have a super output thanks to 6 large LEDs. The light from which is also much warmer than many of the 'icy-blue' ones currently sold. You can read by them without strain.

They are also available in 3 finishes which will integrate well with most interiors.

Highly recommended.

Crinkly,

Do you mean surface mount rather than flush mount - only the latter would imply hole cutting.

Incidentally, it is possible to buy 21 LED clusters that exactly replace the small 10watt-12volt halogen bulbs used in many motorhome downlighters. They ain't especially cheap, but they do last forever and give adequate light for reading.

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

My bad, I do indeed mean surface-mount. Sorry for any confusion - utter brain fade on my part, that will teach me to try to multi-task!

I have already changed all the standard fit halogens for MR11 LEDs as we wild camp most of the time. I also replaced the standard cab festoon bulbs with festoon style LEDs to help the starter battery, which I also press into service for small recharging jobs (mobile etc) whilst roughing it.

These two sites are useful.

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php

Both delivered quickly to me and the stuff simply worked.

Edit:

Bill, as above, not my best day!

Graham,

It looks like they are a standard bayonet fit? This would need to be checked, but if so, the 380 / 382s at this link will probably go, the difference between them is the terminal arrangement, but you'll see from the diagram. The white ones would be the ones to go for. I'm not sure how good they'd be, they aren't really designed for interior use.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=613

Steve

Thanks Steve.

The existing bulbs appear to have the same base as the 382 type. I've sent an e-mail to the company asking if they are the same fitting and whether they will work OK as interior bulbs in the van.

I'll report back to this thread when I get an answer.

Graham

Hi Graham,

If they are the right ones I would suggest that you try the site link below (8th down on that page are the Red version) as they are half the price!

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/motorbike-bulbs-c-44.html?osCsid=102cfb3a89b38295c0a09cde43b61ab5

and I think this may be the 382 at £2.95

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/halo-refractor-wide-angle-bulb-p-899.html

Bas

I've tried a search on eBay for "382 24 LED" and there are some pretty reasonable prices offered - about £9.50 a pair including postage. I'm pretty sure I have a spare conventional 382 bulb in the garage somewhere so I'll try it in the van tomorrow and, if it is OK, I think I'll probably order some from one of the eBay sites.

Graham

I found a 382 bulb - as it happens both the van and the car use them for one or other of the rear lights :-) . The glass bulb is slightly larger than the one already installed in the eyeball holder but the bayonet fitting/connection is the same so I swapped the bulbs and the 382 worked OK.

I went back on eBay and found a supplier of 24 LED bulbs who charges £7.49 a pair plus £2 p&p for the first purchase and 90p for subsequent purchases - so I've ordered two pairs for a total cost of £17.88. Worth a punt at that price and if by any chance they are no good for internal use in the van I can always use them in the rear lights of one vehicle or the other.

I'll report back on whether they work after they arrive.

Graham

Bill - 2007-07-27 9:56 PM

Vernon B - 2007-07-26 4:24 PM

Vernon

Come on Vernon: at least tell us what it's called and where it is!

Sorry been away. Derek's "spot-on", sorry, his web link does show the light I'm referring too although I didn't get it from there. I wasn't being evasive or smart it's just that the packaging doesn't give you any more info.

As far as being able to use it for reading I'd say "yes" but I haven't had a good opportunity to test it out. For £6 even us motorhomer's should be prepared to give it a try.

Vernon.

GJH - 2007-07-29 8:41 AM

I went back on eBay and found a supplier of 24 LED bulbs who charges £7.49 a pair plus £2 p&p for the first purchase and 90p for subsequent purchases - so I've ordered two pairs for a total cost of £17.88. Worth a punt at that price and if by any chance they are no good for internal use in the van I can always use them in the rear lights of one vehicle or the other.

The bulbs arrived - very quick considering the postal dispute - but they don't fit, unfortunately.

The bayonet cap is exactly the same as the existing bulbs and the standard 382 bulbs but the plastic "bulb" around the LEDs is a lot wider. The effect is that the shoulder fowls the internal reflector of the fitting and prevents the bulb being pushed far enough in to be twisted into the working position.

I'm not sure whether or not this would be the same with the 16 LED items mentioned by Bas but I think I'll have a look see if I can see any in shops (which I can compare to a standard 382 bulb for size) before buying any more.

Graham

Mel B - 2007-07-30 9:03 PM

They're selling the LED lights that Vernon mentioned at Morrisons for £3.00 at the mo according to an advertising leaflet we've received.

I'd forgotten the above post but when in Morrisons this morning we just happened to walk down the right aisle and spotted them so bought a couple. There are two rings of 24 LEDs as shown in the attachments (if I manage to load 'em correctly) with three settings - one or other of the rings lit or both. They take 3 AA batteries.

They can be hung from a hook or stuck to a metal surface using built in magnets. Not sure how we will fit them yet, possibly use self adhesive Velcro. We will try them this weekend and report back.

Graham

led1.jpg.6bc4bd4416f454405df8deb92694c5d0.jpg

led2.jpg.d5836f4959c960cd802cf2d9f5d3967d.jpg

Hi GJH -

The battery operated LED's that you have posted about look VERY interesting - especially if the battery life is good when using them.

Maybe you could feed back to the rest of us in due course:

1. How much light do they really give out - eg can you use them as a reading light in an otherwise dark Motorhome, if placed close to/close above a seat/bed.

2. How long do a decent set of AAA batteries really last, if the light is left on constantly?

(yeah, I know it'll cost you a set of batteries to find out of course........but that's the cost of the honour of being Chief researcher on these things on behalf of all the rest of us, heehee).

Cheers,

Bruce.

BGD - 2007-08-08 3:32 PM

1. How much light do they really give out - eg can you use them as a reading light in an otherwise dark Motorhome, if placed close to/close above a seat/bed.

I'll certainly be testing that Bruce.

BGD - 2007-08-08 3:32 PM

2. How long do a decent set of AAA batteries really last, if the light is left on constantly?

That might depend on how long my visit(s) to the beer tent last (lol)

Graham

Archived