Emission Zones.

Rayjsj

Mel E - 2007-07-30 12:24 PM

LONDON MAYORAL ELECTIONS:

I liked the suggestion in the D Tel that, if Boris Johnson is selected as the Tory Candidate, then the election will be a case of:

- a very intelligent man masquerading as a buffoon

against

- a buffoon trying to pretend he's intelligent.

Such is politics in today's Britain!

Mel E

====

Much as I hesitate to question the wisdom of Her Majesty’s Daily Telegraph, Red Ken is easily the most intelligent man and the most able administrator in politics today.

That is precisely what makes him so dangerous.

As those who live in the LEZ are about to find out – the hard way.

Whatever happened to the old maxim “Never underestimate your enemy”?

Well Folks, after all that, I entered my Reg.no. into the database to see if i would be subject to this new form of highway robbery. And even though my 'old bus' is now well into her 19th year, we will NOT be subject to the charge....evidently. The reason, she has a Petrol engine, which I have often wished (but not any more) was a 2.5 turbo diesel. So there you are.

I still believe it is a gross injustice to people who struggle (and believe me, it is a struggle) to keep 'classic' motorhomes in a safe.roadworthy and comfortable condition. How many Motorhomes produced this year will still be 'on the road' in Twenty years time ??

We CANNOT keep scrapping consumer products which are STILL in a seviceable condition,Be they Motorhomes or Washing machines,after the vast amounts of greenhouse Gases produced in their production.

Re- Furbish,Re-Use,Re-Cycle. AND move out of London .

The only Green thing about Ken Livingstone is the Money he is Extorting

from Londoners and the poor XXX's who have to work there. :D

Rayjsj - 2007-07-30 7:46 PM

We CANNOT keep scrapping consumer products which are STILL in a seviceable condition,Be they Motorhomes or Washing machines,after the vast amounts of greenhouse Gases produced in their production.

Re- Furbish,Re-Use,Re-Cycle. :D

I'm going off at a tangent here.

Earlier this year bearings went in washing m/c, as this was second time and m/c is fairly old went to look at new one's, after a lot of searching and head scratching eventualy found one that had similair features to old one and had a good 'energy rating', was about to sign on bottom line when I realised it only had cold fill, when I quiried manufactureres about this was told they get a better energy rating for heating own water than taking preheated water from tank, what this doesn't take into acount is if you have solar water heating, it seems the goverments left and right hand have no idea what each other are doing, old m/c now running on new bearings.

Hi,

I know I shouldn't as this is really off the orginal thread, but when they do the energy rating they only take the actual energy used and not the cost, e.g if you heat the water by Gas its cheaper than using the machines internal electric element and perhaps more environmentally friendly as electricity at point of production (power station) is only about 20% efficient

sorry just had to ??

colin - 2007-07-30 9:12 PM

Rayjsj - 2007-07-30 7:46 PM

Re- Furbish,Re-Use,Re-Cycle. :D

I'm going off at a tangent here.

Earlier this year bearings went in washing m/c, as this was second time and m/c is fairly old went to look at new one's, after a lot of searching and head scratching eventualy found one that had similair features to old one and had a good 'energy rating', was about to sign on bottom line when I realised it only had cold fill, when I quiried manufactureres about this was told they get a better energy rating for heating own water than taking preheated water from tank, what this doesn't take into acount is if you have solar water heating, it seems the goverments left and right hand have no idea what each other are doing, old m/c now running on new bearings.

• 2 months later...
Mel E - 2007-07-30 12:20 PM

During consultation for the LEZ, most leisure bodies that would be affected got together under the auspices of the CCPR (Central Council for Physical Recreation) and I was on that body representing Gliding.

The Caravan Club, Caravan Council, Yatching and Horsing were also well repesented amongst others. The body appealed very hard to have all leisure vehicles excluded, but seem to have failed.

A key problem seems to be the technology: the LEZ will be controlled by the same sort of automatic camera system used for LCZ. Unfortunately, the system cannot distinguish leisure vehicles, and the data it uses from the DVLA database is apparently not well enough coded to enable it to do so. So we are caught!

Mel E

====

After I read the above post I sent an information request to the LEZ office asking whether they had access to the Body Type and/or Taxation Class from the DVLA in order to differentiate between vehicle types. I actually asked the question in relation to small car derived vans like the Citroen Berlingo & Fiat Doblo because the car versions are exempt and the van versions aren't.

Their initial reply appears to have been lost in cyberspace so I've only just received an answer. Interestingly they say "We do have access to information including 'body type' held by the Driver and Vehicle Licence

Agency that allows us to differentiate between estate cars and vans."

I've just checked the V5C for our MH and the Body Type is "Motor Caravan".

Seems that the situation has changed since the discussions which Mel referred to - or the LEZ people were telling big fat porkies. Either way, because they have access to Body Type they are now able to differentiate between motor caravans and other vehicles. Therefore, if they continue to refuse to exempt motor caravans then that is a deliberate act rather than something beyond their control.

I shall contact the Caravan Club to pass the information on to them.

Graham

Archived