End the Gas Bottle Scare

Mel E

This is the headline of an ad in this month's Caravan Club Magazine - page 31.

They will sell you six brass connectors which are guaranteed to enable you to buy a bottle of gas anywhere and fit it to your motohome. I counted 6 pieces of milled brass plus two or three rubber/neoprene seals - and all at the incredible price of (wait for it):

£199.00 inc VAT and delivery.

For not much more, you can get a, 11KG refillable MTH Gas bottle, complete with float gaugue to show the contents and a UK pump adaptor. They sell extra adaptors to cover different LPG pumps in Europe (2 are needed) in the same beautiful milled brass for £10 each inc VAT.

And with a refillable one, you don't have to worry about all those gas bottle deposits, how/where to return them and so on.

Am I missing something here?

Mel E

====

I have one of the MTH bottles you describe, and bought it not to save money but to avoid refilling problems in Europe.

Fortunately I haven’t yet needed to do so but, quite aside from any “political” difficulties, it is quite difficult to find a petrol station which sells autogas – and if you don’t speak the lingo you cant ask.

So I’m rather planning to put my tail between my legs, run on CampingGaz 709, and smile thinly when the time comes to pay for an exchange bottle.

Bill, depends where you are going in Europe. Autogas is available at nearly every service station. It is rarer in Spain, granted, but you can find it without too much trouble. There is a link on this site, (somewhere)!

We have the Gasflow system on our van and it was cheaper to install than the other MTH system.

Just to help you in France & Spain it is called GPL.

It is also cheaper than chips!!

Mel E - 2007-07-28 12:54 PM This is the headline of an ad in this month's Caravan Club Magazine - page 31. They will sell you six brass connectors which are guaranteed to enable you to buy a bottle of gas anywhere and fit it to your motohome. I counted 6 pieces of milled brass plus two or three rubber/neoprene seals - and all at the incredible price of (wait for it): £199.00 inc VAT and delivery. For not much more, you can get a, 11KG refillable MTH Gas bottle, complete with float gaugue to show the contents and a UK pump adaptor. They sell extra adaptors to cover different LPG pumps in Europe (2 are needed) in the same beautiful milled brass for £10 each inc VAT. And with a refillable one, you don't have to worry about all those gas bottle deposits, how/where to return them and so on. Am I missing something here? Mel E ====

You may be Mel, but it is not favourable to the advertiser! 

I too spotted the ad, and the thing that caught my attention was that they didn't point out that the connectors are not relevant to newer vans with fixed regulators.  The implication was that anyone visiting Europe was in need of these.

However, my attention span didn't extend to reading the price.  Outrageous!  I thought they were supposed to vet their ads?  This one is so misleading in content relative to price it is almost fraudulent.  I think one should write!

I too have just seen the advert in the CC magazine. While I think that it is a little pricey for a bag of connectors I can see the benefit. I would presume that the adaptors will fit to the pig-tails that are on the vans with fixed regulators. If this is correct, then my van, having 2 pig-tails, would need 2 kits. Cost £400. I can buy a Gaslow system for less than that, and be free to fill up anywhere. I think I'll pass on this one!!!

You'd need 'propane' style pigtails too for post 2004 systems, or an adapter, to  screw into to their adapters...

And no mention of what to do if you are on a British butane style pre 2004 regulator!

They don't deserve much business.

Bill, (and anyone that's interested), you can buy a 2007 guide to all LPG outlets in europe for refillable systems from

http://www.autogas.co.uk/index.php

And to be pedantic, the Gaslow alternative is the Stako based system, MTH are just one of the suppliers.

Ive had a month in france 3 years, use a gas barbie every day plus kettle ect, and have yet to use one 6 KG cylinder of gas while there,I carry 1 6KG and now 1 13KG , I think these will last me long enough. When I need gas I just whip the cyl round to the local dealer in my motor and swap it, whats easier? by the way, gas in 13KG cyls is bout half the price of 6 KG

Don

Guest caraprof

I was convinced that there was something that I was missing when I read this advert! I re-read it a couple of times in case there were a couple of refillable tanks included or something, but no.

I think that it's a mistake and the £199.99 should have read £19.99!

Crinkly,

Sorry, but I'm misunderstanding you again - do you mean that the Stako system sold by the MTH franchisees (and MTH itself) is and alternative to Gaslow - 'cos I know Gaslow don't use Stako cylinders (which is why they don't have a gaugae on them).

When I had my MTH system fitted, it was substantially cheaper the the quivalent Gaslow. And I prefer red cylinders aesthetically to bright yellow!

Mel E

====

unlessyou are going to spend over three months away, long periods in the winter,or have very small cyls, refilable cyls are a waste of time.

in 30 years i have never ran out of gas or had to drive around looking for a supply.

Mel E - 2007-07-28 11:02 PM Crinkly, Sorry, but I'm misunderstanding you again - do you mean that the Stako system sold by the MTH franchisees (and MTH itself) is and alternative to Gaslow - 'cos I know Gaslow don't use Stako cylinders (which is why they don't have a gaugae on them). When I had my MTH system fitted, it was substantially cheaper the the quivalent Gaslow. And I prefer red cylinders aesthetically to bright yellow! Mel E ====

Mel,

As far as I understand it Stako are the Polish manufacturers of the red cylinders that you refer to, which, in my view, are better than the rival and completely separate Gaslow cylinders because:

1. They are available in far more sizes.

2. Some cylinder sizes have removable collars and so can be more readily fitted in restrictive lockers where height is a problem.

3. They have the absolutely super float gauges that are one of the few reasonably accurate ways to tell how much gas remains at any given time.

4. Dealers have far more fittings and hose lengths than Gaslow hold and so you can do an absolutely custom installation to suit your own purposes. This includes the dinky little external filler that stops you from having to drill a 70mm dia. hole in your 'van (assuming you want to do the full flush-fitting filler thing).

As far as I am aware there are several British firms who import and install Stako equipment and MTH are just one of them. It always confused me that Stako installations are generically referred to as MTH installations. Some indeed might be, but not all; not by any means.

Unless I've got this completely upside down?

trooper - 2007-07-29 7:46 PM unlessyou are going to spend over three months away, long periods in the winter,or have very small cyls, refilable cyls are a waste of time. in 30 years i have never ran out of gas or had to drive around looking for a supply.

£14 for a 6 kilo Calor propane refill? Humping bottles in and out of your 'van? Having to change bottles in the rain? Setting off abroad and having to swap a cylinder because you want to set off full, even though there may be half a bottle's-worth left in the one you trade in? Being able to see at a glance how much gas you have on board? Having to pay up front for a Calor contract?

Here's just a few reasons why they aren't a waste of time, even if you use your 'van as suggested. Of course, the real benefits come with extended touring in remoter parts of europe.

Everyone has a free choice though, which is nice.

Crinkly,

I agree with you completely - we are now on the same wavelength.

The Stako cylinders are vastly superior to the Gaslow ones. And cheaper, in my experience.

MTH have become generically associated with them in the motorhome field mainly, I think, because they are at all the Shows. Many of the other Stako importers concentrate on the bigger, underslung cyliders for LPG conversions and the like.

Mel E

====

Guest caraprof

I make no comment about which is the better system as I know nothing about the Stako brand. What I do know however, is that on Tuesday I'm off on holiday and I won't even consider how much gas I have.

One cylinder is full and turned off. I use the left-hand cylinder first, and the last time it was used it had gas. When the left-hand one expires I shall turn on the right-hand one and I then have ages to fill up my Gaslow system at one of the many filling stations that sells LPG.

No worrying about finding a Calor supplier, no lugging and unscrewing cylinders and best of all, no worries about running out of gas!

steve, you can pick up cyls very cheap, I have about 6, I am retied had bypass ect and dont find any prob with cyls, as i said 13 kg quite cheep,

plus spending £1000s on m/h whats a little gas. I do indeed agree for soom people refillable are essensial but dont lets get carried away.

trooper - 2007-07-30 8:02 PM steve, you can pick up cyls very cheap, I have about 6, I am retied had bypass ect and dont find any prob with cyls, as i said 13 kg quite cheep, plus spending £1000s on m/h whats a little gas. I do indeed agree for soom people refillable are essensial but dont lets get carried away.

I wasn't getting carried away Don, you obviously don't experience the need, and that's fine. I respect your choice. It doesn't make refillables a waste of time though.

Cheers, Steve

Dusseldorf is coming. If you go, - visit Pfieffer accessories. For about €18 two years ago I bought as wallet of adaptors to convert German propane bottles (same connection as the majority of French ones) to anything in Europe.

When I go abroad, I run one French and one English bottle. I make sure the English is full but use the French one till it expires. I swap to the English for a few hours until I can replace the French, then swap back. I rarely use more than half an English bottle even when winter/ski camping for several weeks.

French propane is about €28 per 11kg and when I entered a new contract at Auchan Dunkirk a few weeks ago they didn't even charge me a deposit on the "Total" tank I hired

Bill - 2007-07-28 2:30 PM

.... is quite difficult to find a petrol station which sells autogas – and if you don’t speak the lingo you cant ask.

So I’m rather planning to put my tail between my legs, run on CampingGaz 709, and smile thinly when the time comes to pay for an exchange bottle.

Bill,

Pretty numerous across France in my experience

I think most (all?) motorway service stations sell LPG (or GPL) across western Europe.

If you have a GPS you can download poi's for all LPG supplying forecourts (including UK) from http://www.poihandler.com/

HTH

Robin

trooper - 2007-07-29 7:46 PM

unlessyou are going to spend over three months away, long periods in the winter,or have very small cyls, refilable cyls are a waste of time.

in 30 years i have never ran out of gas or had to drive around looking for a supply.

Don

I reckon that using gas only operation of Truma boiler, Fridge and oven we can easily avearge around I kilo a day during the winter months - I would not be comfortable with 2*13k for any more than two weeks, and I would be feeling nervous before the two weeks was up.

In DBG (Days Before Gaslow ) I used to cycle three 13k Calor cylinders so that I could always start with two full cyclinders. This often meant exchange half full cyclinders - with much annoyance. Now I just set off with whatever is in the cyclider and fill up when the reserve clicks over - I have one less thing to worry about.

;-)

In my opinion Gaslows are certainly not a waste of time and without getting carried away they are easy to fill anywhere in Europe bar parts of Scandinavia.

It is as others have said up to personal choice, however we have run out by the last night of a break away and we have also swapped a full Calor cylinder for an empty one for the cost of the gas (we lost out actually as the gas had gone up by £2 by the time we got home and got a replacement) with someone in south west France who had run out and did not know what to do whilst we were on route to Calais next day. So that is two occasions of people running out that I am aware of.

A question for those that have knowledge of the Stacko Cylinders, how come they are not EU approved but Gaslows are according to the advertising?

Bas

Basil,

ALL gas cylinders used, rented or sold throughout the EU have to have the necessary certifications. These are, after all, high pressure bombs we are talking about (M11 closed all day recently because of fear one might explode after a truck fire!).

Stako have been making the metal cylinders for 17 years, and no problems I know of yet.

I'm not sware of the specific advertising you are quoting - let me know and I can respond in more detail.

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-08-02 12:47 PM

I'm not sware of the specific advertising you are quoting - let me know and I can respond in more detail.

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

I wasn't being critical, just interested/ curious. Gaslows advertising state that they are the only refillable cylinders with EU approval to some stated standard, (I don't have an advert to hand but I will find it and state the standards they are quoting) just wondered what was different that makes them approved and the others not.

Bas

Archived