Mini blade fuses

martin r c

Just something to be aware of.

I don't know how many motorhomes have the same 12v control box as on my Elddis.but last weekend we were away when the 12v aux socket on the van stopped working.the 12v TV was being run from it and suddenly no power to it or the status amplifier. after looking at the wiring diagram in the hand book-traced the fault to a blown 10A fuse located.in a slot on the top of the 12v control box. away from all the others. the hole was only slightly bigger than the fuse, that was set down about 2mm below it.

What an absolute cow to remove.pin nose pliers would not open far enough to grip the fuse.so on the way home I popped into marquis in Poole.after borrowing loads of different tools eventually got it out with a pair of tweezers.MINI blade fuse.didn't have one.but thanks to Marquis .they let me have a couple.then the fun started.I had to remove the entire box to refit the new one ,as it is impossible to see the things the fuse sits in

and it kept falling inside the box which I had to shake to get it out again.

What an idiotic design.

>:-( >:-( >:-(

Still ,did it in the end.And bought a new tv(nice it is ,flat panel, built in digi box and only 18w power consumption)

If you have the same sort of box .keep some mini blade 10 Amp fuses and a good pair of tweezers or thin pin nose pliers in the van.along with a good screw driver set and a torch.

Not many places sell mini blade fuses, but Halfords do.

Cheers

Martin r c

There's something to be said here about a learning curve, even though we have worked out everything in the past there's always something else just waiting to pounce on us.

You can garrentee however that some boffin in the Motorhome's manufacture probably got a knighthood for the idea, (or do you need to give the Labour party money for that)(ah thats alright now).

Gordon...

martin r c - 2007-07-28 7:04 PM

Not many places sell mini blade fuses, but Halfords do.

Haven't had a problem with removing/replacing them but I was also very surprised to find that mini rather than standard blade fuses were used on our Autoquest.

We found that Motor World branches stock them.

Graham

You may find a a mini blade fuse extractor in one of your vehicle fuse boxes. I have one in each of the fuse boxes fitted to my Peugeot Boxer, there are also spare fuses of different sizes and different ratings in the fuse boxes.

A good cheap source of replacement mini fuses is Ebay, searching for 'mini blade fuse' will display retailers selling as cheap as £1.99 for 25 fuses, either all the same rating or ratings of your choice.

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2007-07-29 10:34 AM

You may find a a mini blade fuse extractor in one of your vehicle fuse boxes. I have one in each of the fuse boxes fitted to my Peugeot Boxer, there are also spare fuses of different sizes and different ratings in the fuse boxes.

Good point Terry. It's the same on our van - forgot that when I posted last night.

Graham

Archived