Battery deterioration

Wingpete

Since keeping my 'van under cover in top security facility (Norsted Manor, Kent) never had problem when starting it up, until now !

Went to collect on Fri, to find battery too low to start motor.

Luckily had jump leads and car to overcome initial shock. :-(

In musing over the reason's why, got around to considering the last time used and anything left on. Nothing had been left on. :-|

However, I did plug in one of those low output solar powered chargers that fit into ciggy lighter on dash. Idea to keep battery charged to overcome drainage from alarm system.

There is not a whole lot of daylight where 'van is stored (under cover with front open to daylight) so now think that it may have been cause of battery draining over past 8 weeks.

Any thoughts from the experts on this situation ?

Hi Wingpete,

It certainly sounds like your mini solar panel is the culprit, they should have a blocking diode fitted to the panel so that the current from the battery will not drain into it. It's not unheard of that diodes can go faulty or it may be a bad diode fitted from new.

The cigar/cigarette lighter in my camper is disconnected when the ignition is switched off, might be worth checking yours isn't the same, obviously with the ignition key removed, the output of the panel will not charge the battery, nor will it run it down. If you have a radio fitted, these will draw a small current when switched off and will eventually run the battery down.

If you are familiar with a multimeter, testing the battery for leakage with all services off is worth doing, so any potential drain can be detected and rectified.

Your best bet is to charge the battery fully, then disconnect the battery when the vehicle is in safe storage.

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2007-07-29 10:05 AM

Your best bet is to charge the battery fully, then disconnect the battery when the vehicle is in safe storage.

Regards Terry

Bearing in mind of course that a battery will slowly discharge itself naturally, and the older the battery, the faster the discharge,

Rgds

Very possible that your alarm is the culprit, given that the battery will indeed deteriorate with age. I also echo the post regarding the likely non-contribution of your 'battery-saving' solar panel given that it's a very real probability that you have to have your ignition on before the circuit to the cig' lighter will be complete.

Archived