Sat Navs

Delfin Driver

Have raised this thread on hints and tips and realised that it was the wrong area although I got a really helpful response from piote25mx.

I know the issue of Sat Vavs has been raised before and I have used search to see if my questions have been answered before but I think not. My question is if anyone knows of a system that allows you to plan-out single track roads. Piote25mx mentioned that his Sony allowed input of type of vehicle and thus using the lorry format he had never been sent down a bad route. I am still looking at the TomTom One Europe XL as this gets really good reviews. Does this have a vehicle type facility? Also anyone owned one and have any views? Whichever I chose must have a Western Europe facility.

Thanks in advance.

DD

Hi Colin,

It's my experience that choosing the vehicle type on TomTom and Mio, only effects journey times. Choosing short or fast routes alters which road is used, i.e. through centre of towns for short and ring roads for fast routes. You can avoid/forbid toll roads and motorways, which will route you through, in France for example, N,D or C roads, some software like Autoroute will allow you to sectionalise your journey between waypoints using different vehicles or preferences, this would be the only way I can see that will keep you off of narrow roads.

You always need to browse your route before setting off, to make sure it doesn't take you down roads and routes you would like to steer clear.

Regards Terry

My Garmin seems pretty good for vehicle types you can choose from but is getting a bit long in the tooth [street Pilot hard disc 2m] and cannot download all the info that you pay £50 for so thinking poor old Flossie 'plummy voiced cow in the cab' will have to be replaced and I find myself wondering which direction to go in. I think some models have 20M hard drive in now and that should work if the price is right. You can buy from USA much cheaper but remember to tell the supplier to put it on goods sheet as experimental equip. or spares and a low value to stop charges being levied. ;-)

Slightly of topic,

You can buy in the USA, even with shipping and paying all taxes due you can save money, but check warranty is applicable in UK/Europe, as these items can be troublesome, so if you have to return it to the USA for warranty work your savings fly out the window.

Incidentally the suggestion to get supplier to state lower value/experimental is illegal on both sides of pond, you do stand the chance of loosing both the goods and your money and of course the fines + import duties, VAT if you are caught, with the recent increased levels of security personal shipments are vetted more frequently than in the past.

Chris

Archived