Adria Twin - first impressions

Mrs Sea

Yes, we finally made our decision and its an Adria Twin. Bought it new a month ago and have just had our first week away in it wild camping on the west coast of Scotland.

Thanks to everyone for all your help/advice whilst making our decision. After all my queries over the last few months I thought I would share our first impressions with anyone who wants to know - maybe someone like we were a few months ago wondering what to buy.

Firstly, for those who haven't seen my earlier threads, we decided to downsize from a coach built to a panel van in order to get access to out of the way places in Scotland in pursuit of our hobbies of sea kayaking, open canoeing and rock climbing. We also needed to fit a substantial roofrack to take the weight of said canoes/kayaks. We chose the Adria because it had a double fixed bed at the rear with heaps of storage space for all our gear underneath. The only other contender was a Devon Monaco on a Renault but it wasn't a patch on the Adria and more expensive. We saw one and test drove one before we bought it and knew it wasn't perfect (what van ever is) but really had little other options to chose from.

The bed is fantastic. Compared to our last van it is huge and so comfortable we had problems waking up in the morning....... But please tell me why Adria chose a white/cream mattress and lined the bedroom walls in cream too. They will get marked so easily especially given our sporting hobbies. Out with the sewing machine Mrs Sea......

It looks great and drives superbly. The front swivel seats are comfy and work easily with no clash with the handbrake. Beware the tilt lever though as you can be ejected through the windscreen if not careful! Not recommended whilst driving...!

Bathroom a bit tight, especially when showering - but then it is a panel van - but why no attachment for the shower hose once extended from the basin? £5.99 from Focus fixed this but why did Adria not fit one? And those Tambour doors on the cupboards - hopeless. In transit, things move in the cupboard and, hey presto, you can't open them without some ingenious houdini act. Fixable by Mr Sea but it shouldn't have to be.

Kitchen smaller than our last motorhome and only 2 burners. Could do with somewhere to put the hot kettle whilst pans are on the rings - Mr Sea to the rescue again I suspect. Sink mixer folds down easily inside sink, all very neat. Water flow a bit slow though. Cooker rattles in transit - strangely it didn't in the one we test drove...

Cupboards. Plenty of them but useless for storing anything in. Far to narrow. The designer was obviously more interested in looks than usefulness. Not only does back wall slope inwards due to shape of roof, but the front also slopes inwards creating a rhomboid type shape in side profile. Not surprisingly when you open the cupboard items falls out - especially clothes. And those hinges - you lose 2 inches at either end of each cupboard to make space for the hinge - we've removed one on each locker for now but are sourcing different hinges altogether.

Pet hate. Midi Hekis. We have 2 of them. They blow shut in the wind, can't be left open for ventilation when you are out, are not in the least bit secure - the plastic pegs would break off easily I'm sure even if the vent was closed but when open it would be a doddle to break in, just lift it and jump in. There is no locking mechanism whatsoever. And how we miss our Fiamma extractor vent..... The biggest problem however is that the front Heki is fitted level with the front roof rack fixing bolts so no roof bars/roof rack will fit. Its only an inch out so why did Adria not think of this when designing the van. We can get round it by butchering and re bolting the very expensive roof rack but it is just so unnecessary all for the sake of 1 inch.

On the whole though we are very pleased with our purchase and look forward to many more holidays and trips once we've ironed out the problems. Anyone want more information, please just ask.

Pleased you are enjoying your van so much! I don't think its ever easy to find the exact blend between practicality and luxury that you want. For some its the fixed double bed and others the more comfortable lounge.

Mrs Sea - 2007-07-29 8:52 PM

Could do with somewhere to put the hot kettle whilst pans are on the rings -

From memory, the kitchen on the Adria Twin is right next to the double bed. If this is correct then I have the same layout.

I bought one of those cheap plastic tablecloths from the £ shop (to protect the bed linen) and now the bed provides masses of extra workspace. Obviously if you want to put hot things down you will have to get a board or tray of some sort – a tray might be better in case you have a spillage.

Pet hate. Midi Hekis.

Amen. Two centuries ago illiterate gypsies knew better than to cut holes in the roof; they zigzagged chimneys etc. through the side. Why can’t our modern design engineers, with their fancy, expensive university educations, at least match those old Romanies?

Hi

We're hopefully picking up our Twin in a couple of weeks so always grateful to hear from other owners.  Bit disappointed to hear about the concerns with the Hekis...  not really noticed on the ones we looked at.   Only used full-sized ones in the past so assumed they'd be the same.  I'd be interested to hear of any solution you may come up with. 

I've still a couple of things to sort out for our van.  I need an awning and a TV aerial for instance...  however not sure which to go for.  We also have the small spanner in the works of (stupidly in hindsight) buying a silver van and therefore having to try and colour code the awning. 

Plus,  we have specified the optional extra internal carpets and have since read in MMM that these make the bottom pan drawer un-openable. 

Got a feeling there's going to be a few things to sort out as well.

b6x - 2007-07-30 11:31 AMHi

the awning. 

Plus,  we have specified the optional extra internal carpets and have since read in MMM that these make the bottom pan drawer un-openable. 

Got a feeling there's going to be a few things to sort out as well.

It is an easy fix. We fitted opur own carpets (better and cheaper) and had to remove the plastic edge from underneath the front of the drawer. Took less than 2 mins and cannot be seen.

Another problem not covered by Mrs Sea, but that Mr C will have to deal with is the under bed store door. As standard it folds back agaist the side of the luggage space. Therefore once you have stuff in there you cannot close it.

If you close it and then load up the space, you cannot open it! Then you can only access your gear from outside the van via the rear doors.

The solution is to move the door forward and remove the silly bottle carrier, hinging the door to open into the van. This way it can be used internally irrespective of how much kit is in the boot.

This is not as straight forward as it seems, but within the scope of a good DIYer.

Whilst about it I might move the heating controls 'round the corner' a bit to make then more accessible and readable.

We are also having problems closing the side door without waking half the neighbourhood, but suspect that an easy adjustment will cure that. Easy that is, if you know what bits to twiddle with.

Mrs Sea - 2007-07-30 9:36 PMAnother problem not covered by Mrs Sea, but that Mr C will have to deal with is the under bed store door. As standard it folds back agaist the side of the luggage space. ....

hmmm. never thought of that either. The things you don't think about when looking at these vans. Pretty stupid design that.

Would be interested to see pictures and hear of the involved effort if you decide to switch it around. Maybe a step-by-step walkthrough as you do it ;o)

Maybe easier to install a small "service hatch" into the storage door?

b6x

Make sure you test drive the actual model you are buying and get all rattles sorted by the dealer. The one we took out was virtually silent and we were really impressed. The one we bought is quite different and the cooker and window blind on the sliding door rattle a lot. Quite why the difference I don't know.

Also check the underbed door shuts - ours was too long by 5mm and caught on the knob for the boiler locker. If you managed to shut the underbed door it released the boiler locker door which then opened behind it. Again the one we test drove did not have this problem.

As for colour co-ordination. We too opted for the silver van but with blue/silver(grey)/beige upholstery I would have thought a blue awning would go fine especially if curtains aresilver/beige/blue!

Ah, another silver Twin. Thats good to hear.  Seems everyone else has gone for white. Have you considered getting the front bumper colorcoded? I was a little disappointed to find out that spending the extra on the optional colour option meant that the bumper wasn't coloured.

With regards the awning, I was looking for a silver one that matched the colour of the van (when closed I mean). I found a couple of options but not sure which is going to be best. Do you have an awning fitted? Also would like a silver colour coded aerial but think thats asking too much.

Upholstery wise we have gone for the beige, although in hindsight this may have been a small mistake with regards keeping it clean. Best make the most of it before any kids come along.

The rattle of the sliding door blind was also a major problem on one we test drove and has been mentioned on a few other posts. Not sure if any fix has been suggested, but if I hear anything I'll let you know.

Very interesting write up and further comments; However critical a look is given to 'vans at shows and at dealers one can never spot every 'foible' that may come to light in use; or appreciate exactly how good some features are.

Harvey

b6x - 2007-07-30 9:50 PM
Mrs Sea - 2007-07-30 9:36 PMAnother problem not covered by Mrs Sea, but that Mr C will have to deal with is the under bed store door. As standard it folds back agaist the side of the luggage space. ....

hmmm. never thought of that either. The things you don't think about when looking at these vans. Pretty stupid design that.
Would be interested to see pictures and hear of the involved effort if you decide to switch it around. Maybe a step-by-step walkthrough as you do it ;o)

Maybe easier to install a small "service hatch" into the storage door?

Not sure I agree this design is so stupid.  To get to items stored beneath the bed, lift the bed; or approach via the rear doors.  This internal hatch seems primarily to have been designed for use with the bed lifted, to give an unobstructed flat floor front to back, for possible transport of long items. 

The hatch is not of great strength, and its catch even less so.  Converting the hatch to open in, unless the hinges and latches are replaced with substantially stronger alternatives, might have interesting results if you have to brake hard, or are unfortunate enough to have a "front ender".  I think the design is "fail safe" in that respect, and this probably explains why it is as it is.

The other criticism I have heard is that the internal rear door release is obstructed by the bed frame when the bed base is down.  I have to confess I had some difficulty understanding why anyone would want to open the rear doors while in bed, but you never know!

All designs, unless bespoke, will be compromises: and all users will be likely to find that for them, the compromise, here or there, is not in accordance with their preferences.  However, that does not make a bad design, just one that, had they commissioned it, would have been different here and there. 

From what I have read, the criticisms above, all of which would have been apparent to a prospective buyer before purchase, are minor, and relatively easily "fixed" with a bit of careful DIY.  Overall, this is a very clever bit of design, but it can never exactly suit everyone.  Remember the maxim: you can please some of the people all of the time; or all of the people some of the time; but never all of the people all of the time!

b6x - 2007-07-30 11:09 PM 
With regards the awning, I was looking for a silver one that matched the colour of the van (when closed I mean). I found a couple of options but not sure which is going to be best. Do you have an awning fitted? Also would like a silver colour coded aerial but think thats asking too much.

I seem to remember a company called GH Awnings, who actually supply awnings in an aluminium housing.Not too sure whether they are still going, they were in around the Bolton area I think. Maybe a serach on the wibbly wobbly web might get you the answer.

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-08-01 12:09 PM

I seem to remember a company called GH Awnings, who actually supply awnings in an aluminium housing.Not too sure whether they are still going, they were in around the Bolton area I think. Maybe a serach on the wibbly wobbly web might get you the answer.

Thai

Thanks for the info.  I'll take a look around.  Fiamma and Omnistor do silver colour awnings so thats probably the route I'll take,  it's just choosing the one that looks/performs best.

Investigations ongoing...

Brian Kirby - 2007-08-01 12:00 PM

From what I have read, the criticisms above, all of which would have been apparent to a prospective buyer before purchase, are minor, and relatively easily "fixed" with a bit of careful DIY. Overall, this is a very clever bit of design, but it can never exactly suit everyone. Remember the maxim: you can please some of the people all of the time; or all of the people some of the time; but never all of the people all of the time!

Totally agree...  I'm sure there is no van out there that is absolutely perfect for me and does not require a bit of compromise.  I've looked around for it a fair bit.

Didn't think about the quality of the hinges and locks of the swinging door,  and obviously these would need to be upgraded if an attempt to change the door was made.  Personally,  I think I may look into installing a drop down flap to the door to enable access from inside the van.

As you all mention nothing is perfect we have 14 members with the twin and those that have the first version like the much improved gas bottle locker access on the latest model, only time will tell if adria can improve on this layout,but without your comments these small matters won't get any chance of improving a popular layout.

Also don't fiamma do a silver awning i'm sure i've seen one could be wrong as i am a caravanner.

Mrs Sea - 2007-07-30 9:36 PM

the under bed store door. As standard it folds back agaist the side of the luggage space. Therefore once you have stuff in there you cannot close it.

If you close it and then load up the space, you cannot open it! Then you can only access your gear from outside the van via the rear doors.

Makes you wonder if they ever build a prototype and test it before foisting it onto the unexpecting public.

Brian Kirby - 2007-08-01 12:00 PM

The other criticism I have heard is that the internal rear door release is obstructed by the bed frame when the bed base is down.  !

I read this too in MMM but we have no problem in ours so think it must have only been on the prototype. The catch for the door which opens first is high up above the window. Once this door is open the catch for the other door is indeed under the floor of the bed but easy to reach through the first open door. (Hope this makes sense to everyone else - I know what I mean!)

b6x - 2007-08-01 12:22 PM  Personally,  I think I may look into installing a drop down flap to the door to enable access from inside the van.

We've considered this option too. The problem with this idea though is that the flap may not be able to drop down fully due to the fridge getting in the way or stop the fridge door opening especially if you bring the door forward to make the locker bigger which is what we plan to do. Unless of course you make the hatch door smaller.... I think we'll just use stronger hinges and catch.

clubadria - 2007-08-01 8:07 PM

..only time will tell if adria can improve on this layout,but without your comments these small matters won't get any chance of improving a popular layout.

Hi clubadria

Do Adria take note of such comments? If so who do we send them to? The position of the front Heki light must be addressed.

Must admit when I saw the new Adria Twin at Excel last year, I could see the improvments on the 2006 model but the cream upholstery put me off. I am very happy with my 2006 Twin, far more servicible even though 'madam' has no leg room!

I opted for silver and I too wanted a silver awning to match.

1. Go for a Fiamma F45 awning as this contours itself to the the roof curve and requires no drilling. The Fiamma Zip that I was quoted I found was totally unsuitable and unsightly as it is basically bolted the the side of the van on brackets uggh!

2. I made some enquiries myself with sprayshops about getting it spray painted like they do on the Timberlands etc but got nowhere. You will need the RAL number from Fiat for the paint colour. In the end my dealer did it for me in their workshop. It wasn't cheap because if you want a proper job doing they need to dismantle it, spray it and then assemble it. Because of the labour it cost me about £200 (I'm sure they are still sitting on a big tin of paint I paid for!) but it was worth it as it all matches.

The dealer was Stowmarket Caravans in Suffolk - speak to Adrian their Workshop Manager

Regards

Dennis :-D

I would write in to adria at fleetwoods address and hopefuly they will take notice of your comments,the people from slovenia are very willing to listen to any thing regarding the adria products,we have had the opportunity to speak to some of adria's top people and they will stand and talk all day if they had the chance we make a note of any comments members make and when we get the chance either email or speak to the UK people.whats wrong with the heki roof lights as nobody has said anything about these.I would hope that these problems don't put you off owning your twin.

Regards

David

Go straight to the top with any suggestions and speak with Matjaz Korosec - Director (Jaz for short) you couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap. His phone number is 01787 314811 - he's based in Long Melford for Adria Concessionaires Ltd on matjaz.korosec@fleetwoodcaravans.co.uk

Denzil

Hello Colin

Has the dealer shown you the price of items individually from the se pack it doesn't seem that expensive if you want all of the items in the se pack, but if you only want the 5 year warranty then it maybe considered expensive at £999,only you can tell what is right for you,maybe you might want to hold off until the shows later on in the year.

Regards

David

Archived