Rubbing wheel arch!

Pentland

Hi all

I have a Rimor Eurpeo 5 that i brought 5 months it has a garage on the back which i put my Triumph 675 race bike in the back, it ways 150kg, when there is someone sitting at the table whilst driving the left side rear wheel seems to hit the arch somewhere?????

On roundabouts it rubs also.......

Would fitting air suspension help this????

Help, been to the dealer they don't want to know..........

Thanks

Keith.

You are almost certainly overloading the rear axle.  To check this take the van, fully laden, to a weighbridge and get the individual axle loads.  Then check what is permissible on the VIN plate.  This will give you the maximum permitted axle loads: check in the handbook to be sure which is which. 

If the rear axle is overloaded, whether you fit air suspension or sky hooks, it will remain overloaded, and thus potentially dangerous, and illegal.  You need to do this urgently, as the tyres are probably also outside their safe load range.  A rear blowout is on the cards and, with a heavy rear load such as yours, it will be very difficult to control the van if it happens.

Your only remedy is to reduce the load until it is within the plated limit of the axle.

I echo Brian's thoughts. You are very probably in an illegal and potentially dangerous situation. It may be as simple as not carrying passengers the way that you do, but a trip to the weighbridge will confirm this, I take it that you haven't changed the standard wheels for aftermarket ones with a slightly different width or offset?

Been there - done that. I hung two small bikes on the back of ours for 7 years and had no problems. Extra leaf springs from new meant it never dragged its backside on the ground. BUT a rude awakening came when we put her on the weighbridge so now we have a nicely balanced trailer with near zero nose weight.

MH with garages capable of carrying a decent motorcycle and remaining legal tend to be built on 6 tonne (or greater) base chassis.

My Mrs says you are cruel!

Trailer is lowest cost option.

6 tonne (or greater) based MH with garage (our present quest) costs a bomb!

Chjecked my log book and its says revenue weight 3500kg????

So i take it that, that is its maximum weight when fully loaded???

I'll go to weigh bridge today, with me and bike in it then i'll have to way people...

Cheers

Keith >:-(

Archived