turbo warning light

pete h

turbo warning light  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just a bit of advise,if anyone can help please.I have a talbot express 2.5TD which when driven at 50 to 60 mph leads to the turbo pressure light coming on.I was told that this was the waste gate sticking and would do no harm,however it would do some damage if i were to rev the engine this hard when the vehicle was standing.Can anyone confirm this and is there a way to free the waste gate,and if so where is it located many thanks pete h

Hi Pete, your turbo warning light is telling you that your turbo is over boosting the engine and this is potentially dangerous to the engine. The cause will be a stuck wastegate which is mounted to the turbo unit mounted just below the exhaust manifold. Its a perennial problem on these engines that don't get used enough to keep the wastegate moving. Revving the engine with no load is unlikely to cause any damage but driving it under load with this light on is potentially harmful to your engine. If overboost continues or indeed reaches too high a level, I'm thinking going uphill at full throttle here, then there is a real danger of your engine coming apart in a quite spectacular fashion. Sometimes an overboost situation will just cause the head gasket to fail but I've seen engines break in a big way, broken/bent con rods, holed pistons, bits coming out the side of the block etc. Get your wastegate freed off.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-07-30 7:26 AM

there is a real danger of your engine coming apart in a quite spectacular fashion.

D.

I totally agree. A badly overboosted aircraft engine has a life expectancy of about 90 seconds!! Admittedly they use higher boost pressures.

Even so, I would advise you not to drive the van except very, very gently until this has been seen to.

Hi Pete,

I had this on my old Talbot Express and I found that I could free it by gently turning the arm with a pair of pliers, you should see the actuating rod if you look behind the radiator on the battery side of the engine compartment. I found that running the engine up to operating temperature once every two weeks kept the wastegate from siezing.

Colin

Archived